Heading to the parts store and need lube advice

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am about to do the first wet service on a truck that I’ve owned for about a year. It was well taken care of but I am unsure of what types of lube he was running in the gear box, the rears et cetera. I also have no service or owners manual for the truck. Can someone give me a quick rundown of what I will be safe to purchase lube wise for all components regardless of what might have previously been run in them?

1993 4x4 SRW F350 7.3L non turbo IDI with 3.55 LSD ZF5

Need:
Motor oil
trans oil / fluid
Front and rear Diff
Transfer Case
Grease for chassis et cetera
clutch
cheap fuel filter

Anything else I am forgetting that I should service??

Thanks for any help!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Motor 15w-40 about 10-12 qts. Buy a FL1995 filter for the oil.

Zf5 takes synthetic Mercon V along with the transfer case Zf takes a gallon, not sure on the transfer case

80-90 front 80-140 rear unless you want to pony up for synthetic. Rear is about 3qts, don't know on the front.

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Motor 15w-40 about 10-12 qts. Buy a FL1995 filter for the oil.

Zf5 takes synthetic Mercon V along with the transfer case Zf takes a gallon, not sure on the transfer case

80-90 front 80-140 rear unless you want to pony up for synthetic. Rear is about 3qts, don't know on the front.

Thanks brother

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you install the new fuel filter, fill it first before ******** it on. Less chance of air getting in the system.
I fill mine with ATF, that way I know it is coming out of a clean container.
Same with the oil filter, fill it first before ******** it on. Walmart has the Motorcraft FL1995 filters for $9.99.

Goat

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you install the new fuel filter, fill it first before ******** it on. Less chance of air getting in the system.
I fill mine with ATF, that way I know it is coming out of a clean container.
Same with the oil filter, fill it first before ******** it on. Walmart has the Motorcraft FL1995 filters for $9.99.

Goat
Thanks man. When running the ATF through the fuel like that does it matter what type or should I just get the cheapest?

I honestly can't believe that even on a site like this they are patrolling for forbidden words. It's outrageous.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Thanks man. When running the ATF through the fuel like that does it matter what type or should I just get the cheapest?

I honestly can't believe that even on a site like this they are patrolling for forbidden words. It's outrageous.
It doesn't really matter what type of ATF that you use. Computer programs only recognize words, not context, unfortunately.