Head light plastic

frank-id

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My headlights are not bright. I recently replaced the lamps,
switch, new relay, and some wiring. Voloatge is good but lights are dull. Got a plastic cleaner kit for $35. The lens are
cleaner but still kinda yellow. Any other type head lights that can be adapted? Each of the plastic bodies are about $100 from the Ford store. I have other driving lites but I'm looking for a good fix. Frank

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used 1500 grit sandpaper(wet sand) on mine before using the polishing kit. Also use a buffing wheel on a drill. I have a new kit now. I am going to try 0000 steel wool with the polishing compound before I use the buffing wheel.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I bought brand new headlight assemblies for my 92 from rock auto for about $35 each last year. Unfortunately it looks like they don';t have any for a 91 but I bet if you look around you could find some in that range

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't need to use the Steel wool.

Thats what I do.

I sand with 1200-2000 (whatevers handy) and then buff out with wahtevers on the wheel.

Wool allows more buffing time, Foam gives a touch better shine easier, if you are not Realllllly familiar with the wheel, and polishing, use the wool, as the foam will melt the lense.

Also, on our trucks, you can just buff, and it will turn out fine. Where the lenses are opaque (lined?) from the factory, a crystal clear finish is not possible.

Buff every one of mine, and it makes all the difference in the world. Been including it as part of a detail since 1995... Had I know it was stand alone business capable (Optics restoration guys will hit you between 45 and 85 a pair).. I would a quit buffing cars years ago....

Also, while you are at it, do the taillights, no sandpaper required, they don't get as hot, doesn't take as much to get them back, THAT will make you brake lights come to life!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought mine on ebay 2 years ago for 39.95 and now they are 80.00 and up. Nice and clear but dang what a price increase.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I bought mine on ebay 2 years ago for 39.95 and now they are 80.00 and up. Nice and clear but dang what a price increase.

You got em at a good price Russ.

250 clams for the pair of complete assemblies (even with light bulbs) for me.:puke:

The thing with sanding and repolishing is once ya start doing it, ya gotta keep up with em.
Tried it before with my old patrol vehicle. Didn't last very long and ya had to wax them often.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I got My set of 2 about 3 years ago for $69. I wonder some times what if one could have this lenses replaced with glass lenses, will this be ok with insurance in case of an accident? I mean, there are other cars that use glass headlights and the ones We have are nice but the lenses just suck.

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3m has a headlight restoration kit for about $15. Seen a couple on ebay for $20 w/ free shipping. I haven't used one yet but seen it used on two guys garage and the end results looked great. I've got two trucks to do and I think I'm going to try 3m's kit

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue on my Thunderbird.

A couple years ago I took the lenses off, wet sanded them, polished them out, and clearcoated them.

They still yellowed out same as before. -cuss

Stupid things. I basically have to polish them every couple months or they get to looking like crap again. I wish replacements weren't so damn expensive.