Grill Covers?

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i have been fighting the cold here for months and have seen all the buses have their grill blankets on. I was wondering if i just wanted to shove cardboard in the grill to cover the rad a little, how much should i cover and at what temps should i have it in at? Most days here are just above freezing and nights are in the low 20s high teens.

Thanks

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i have been fighting the cold here for months and have seen all the buses have their grill blankets on. I was wondering if i just wanted to shove cardboard in the grill to cover the rad a little, how much should i cover and at what temps should i have it in at? Most days here are just above freezing and nights are in the low 20s high teens.

Thanks

If you are in San diego, you shouldnt need anything. We get colder than you do here in Vegas and the only time I had to do that, was when my thermostat was stuck open.
Since I have replaced my stat, even on a 25 degree morning, my truck will warm up pretty quick.

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i have been fighting the cold here for months ..... Most days here are just above freezing and nights are in the low 20s high teens.

Thanks
San Diego???the mid 50's was as cold as I ever seen there! Maybe you are at elevation.........

Anyhow, I would first make sure your thermostat is working and is the right temp rating. Then I would cover some of your radiator, shooting for 135-170F at the top radiator hose[use one of those inexpensive lazer temp. guns [tempgun.com is where I got mine, model PE1], being careful to mind the temp gauge on the dash. Overheating is BAD on our diesels.

The dash gauge on my 1994 7.3 NA is just up to the 'N' on normal, but that is without any of the radiator blocked off. I really need to block some off to regain some MPG during the cold weather.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even at -35, I don't block my rad. At the temps you are dealing with, a proper functioning stock cooling system with a good t-stat and functioning fan clutch should be fine.
If you want a faster warm up and you don't deal with stop and go traffic or a whole lot of idling, pull the fan off.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOl stop and go traffic is about all i deal with. I was just looking for a way to get heat in the truck before Im back home from my walmart runs... I have mechanical water temp guage in the truck and on cold windy days i can watch my water temps drop sitting at lights.

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the third diesel I have owned, doesn't make me an expert or anything, but I have found that a diesel under load makes heat a lot quicker than just idling or driving in town. Mine puts out some heat after 2-3 miles of in town driving, but doesn't really get hot until I get up to 55 or so MPH.
Oh, about the weather, I live about 2 hours north of St. Louis so I have about the same temps as you mention. Which brings me to the following point....

Unless you are within walking distance of home, don't fail to take some insulated coveralls, snack bars, flashlight, maybe a space blanket for cold survival should any type of breakdown occur. Better have it and not need it than need it and not have it. A life-or-death situation in some of the weather we have had around here is a real possibility. Oh, a cell phone is a must.

Good luck in your studies.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i dont have a space blanket, but i do typically have beer in the back somewhere :).

I hear you about the life or death though, when i first got back from xmas break we had those wind chills of -12 -14F. Thats a bad situation to get stuck in for sure.

Im just wondering if i it would hurt anything? Or if it would not make that big of a difference.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your temp is dropping sitting at lights, you have a t-stat issue or the fan clutch is stuck. Once it's warm is should stay that way. Only at -30 and colder will an idling engine not be able to hold temp once it's warm

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my tstat is newish, it works fine, and i know my fan clutch works fine as well. I drove cross country this summer and everything worked out perfect. I'm not sure whats up. But it was definitely falling.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I have about half my radiator blocked off with card board. It will run about 180 without it and it runs about 190 with it but the truck gets warmer allot quicker.

jimmys f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got one that snaps on the grill,,,has zipper in the middle,,,,is rough gettn back on in winter so havent used it,,,but it works good, to good cuz it got truck hot one day in summer,,duhh and thats why i took it off

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron