Greasing the TOB?

BobT

Reaction score
My tranny is making a grinding noise when I push in the clutch - sounds like probably the TOB. I remember reading something a while back about a procedure to slather grease on it but can't find it now. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Bob

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You probably remember reading part one of the forum FAQ. That's where it is discussed, but I have not actually written up the proceedure yet. Thanks for the reminder. Basically, you need to pull the slave cylinder, clutch fork boot, clutch fork, and pivot ball, and stick your hand in there and get ***** with the input sleeve and TOB. Main trick is getting the slave cylinder off and on without requiring a re-bleed.

BobT

Reaction score
Well...

....crap! That sounds like quite a bit of trouble for a non-mech kinda guy. No way to do it without taking all that stuff off, huh? Maybe a job best suited for a mechanic. I recently had the waterpump replaced and they noticed the noise - wanted to replace the entire clutch for $1000.00 - I had the tranny rebuilt about 2 years ago when the bell housing broke so I don't need a new clutch (these guys are not my regular mechanic - just were the closest in an emergency).

Thanks, Mel!

P.S. - if you come across anyone needing/wanting a truck, I'm thinking of selling... just don't need it anymore.

Bob

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I am guessing that this procedure is not going to help in your case anyway. I think (could be wrong on this) Mel is talking about greasing the shaft where the bearing slides, to free up it's movement. The sound you are hearing is most likely the bearing failing and I don't believe they are open and greasable (but like I said, I could be wrong) I know my bearing is a sealed bearing and while you can and I have greased the shaft it slides on, the bearing itself is non-serviceable, but that is my truck, yours could be different. I have seen many throwout bearings start a kind of chirping sound. I had an S10 that did that, I changed the throwout cause it drove me nuts, and within a couple of thousand miles it started chirping again and continued to do so when I sold it some 75,000 miles later to my dad, who then sold it with another 50,000 or so on it without a throwout bearing failure.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bob, it would be a shame to see you sell it. Really would like you to make another IDI weekend sometime. It's not that tough, especially if the slave cylinder still has it's factory restraining strap.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can see it, but if you can get your hand in there, I'll bet your green and have a space modulator on your belt. LOL

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, yeah. No-go through the dust cover--I tried ;)

It's really a lot quicker than you thing to pop the slave off! Even without a strap! I just pry the tangs on the retaining clip back, and slide it out of the mount carefully. You'll be 5 minutes into the came at this point. then just pull the fork out, and you're golden.

To get it back in, replace the fork. Then set pushrod in place against the fork, and push with two hands until the slave is compressed again, and with some trickery you can slide it right back into the mount! Done deal..

I got really good at this while I experienced hydraulic clutch bleeding hell.

Although it sounds like your TOB is dying, which it won't help.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HAHAHA I ROCKED THE TOB GREASING TODAY!

Guess what I found in my clutch master reservoir? The foil/paper insert from the cap of a brake fluid bottle! It's been blocking my fluid bypass, and now all my clutch weirdness is GONE! They outta put this one in the textbooks ;)

BobT

Reaction score
OK - so the concensus seems to be that the TOB is failing - correct? And greasing the shaft would do no good. It only makes the noise when I push the clutch pedal to change gears... it's quiet any other time.

Mel - we just don't need the ol' gal anymore. We traded the fifth wheel and bought a TrailManor camper that's light enough to tow with the wife's Expedition. Towing the fiver was the only thing we really used the truck for.

Thanks all,

Bob

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Does it make the noise engine off? If so, then greasing the shaft would probably help. If not, then the bearing itself is probably dry, greasing the shaft wouldn't help with that.

BobT

Reaction score
Nope - engine off and it makes no noise when depressing the clutch pedal. Bad bearing it is, I guess.

Can those be bought separately (not part of a clutch kit)? Just had the clutch done 2 years ago and it's in good shape - just need TOB.

Thanks,

Bob

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, with some determination you can repack that TOB in the truck! I had the one in the Moose Truck that started to squeek, and with 3 transmissions behind it, I just dread getting in there, so I was determined not to have to. I purchased a new bearing, and laying under the truck with my one hand on the dry TOB, and the new bearing in my other hand, I used a Vulcan mind meld to make the old bearing feel like the new one. LOL I worked the grease into the bearing for a good hour. Needless to say, I was vertually crippled when I finally got out of there, but that was 4 years ago and the new bearing is still in the Motorcraft box.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
!?!?

Haha, I'm gonna have to remember that one...

What grease are you guys using on the shaft?

I used run of the mill chassis lube, but I got a feeling it's going to gunk up on me shorter than I'd like..

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I can't say I have ever seen an open throwout bearing that would even accept grease, but then again, I aint seen it all.