Gettin' pissed over a ZF-5 install

John_piv

Reaction score
Yes. You want the gap to be as close to even as you can get it all the way around.

Yes it will. I have a Blue Truck out in my driveway right with a ZF5 and the T-19 plate. I pull the very top part (shifter tower?) off of the transmission and put rags, paper towels, etc inside the hole to keep the crud out during the install. It's a tight fit, but it will go. This is also the reason why I can't s c r e w my shifter boot down to the plate. The shifter sits too far back for the holes to line up.

Now, back to the problem at hand. Do you have the transmission in gear? If not, put it in gear. Then spin the output shaft of the transmission. Spinning the crank bolt will do NOTHING to align the splines if they're not aligned. Why? Because the pressure from the input shaft of the transmission keeps enough pressure on the clutch splines so that the input shaft will spin with the crank/flywheel/clutch because there's nothing to keep it from spinning. That only works when the driveshaft(s) is in place. By putting the transmission in gear and spinning the output shaft, you are spinni9ng all of the internals of the transmission but not the clutch/flywheel. That's how you align the splines when you're installing the transmission.
I can't spin the output shaft by hand. Even when I had it out on the ground, it's incredibly hard to rotate without something on the shaft to give it more torque

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, even in 5th the output shaft has zero play. Won't spin it all
Most of the ones I have installed were always salvage yard already half worn out but I have never had one that I couldn't spun. Even the ones I have rebuild were never that tight.

James

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn you guys are scaring me. I gotta put my trans and engine back in when I get my engine back from Machine shop.

I’m wondering if it would be easier to marry them together outside of the truck and drop them in together.

I pulled the engine out on the 1 ton setting, so weight wise I should be good to put the engine with trans in back together with this engine hoist, right?

I’m not sure if I could squeeze them in together. Anyone ever done it this way?

Seems like it would beat fighting them while laying on your back underneath the truck lol
You must be registered for see images attach

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The clutch friction disc has to be dead center in order for a zf to drop right in. Don't use ratchet straps and bolts to pull the transmission to the engine, if the input shaft isn't aligned, you're just gonna break things.
Just for kicks take the clutch pressure plate off and friction disc, see if the disc fits on the splines of the transmission. Make sure there's no burrs or damage.
Also make sure the pilot bearing is the same size as the pilot shaft.

John_piv

Reaction score
Most of the ones I have installed were always salvage yard already half worn out but I have never had one that I couldn't spun. Even the ones I have rebuild were never that tight.

James
Even with a cheater bar on the u joint mount, I still can't get this thing to turn. Tore it apart while it was out and everything went back together the way it came out. Everything spun putting it together, just not when the case went on. I was just gonna installing it and let it all wear into place.

John_piv

Reaction score
Damn you guys are scaring me. I gotta put my trans and engine back in when I get my engine back from Machine shop.

I’m wondering if it would be easier to marry them together outside of the truck and drop them in together.

I pulled the engine out on the 1 ton setting, so weight wise I should be good to put the engine with trans in back together with this engine hoist, right?

Seems like it would beat fighting them while laying on your back underneath the truck lol
You must be registered for see images attach
I'd say if you've got the option to do it, do it outside. A lot more fun than trying to do it under the truck

John_piv

Reaction score
The clutch friction disc has to be dead center in order for a zf to drop right in. Don't use ratchet straps and bolts to pull the transmission to the engine, if the input shaft isn't aligned, you're just gonna break things.
Just for kicks take the clutch pressure plate off and friction disc, see if the disc fits on the splines of the transmission. Make sure there's no burrs or damage.
Also make sure the pilot bearing is the same size as the pilot shaft.
That work way better than I thought it would. I finally bit the bullet and took the transmission back up, and decided to pull the clutch assembly off the flywheel while I had it off. Surprise surprise, the input alignment tool didn't fit in immediately. So my clutch alignment was off. I put the clutch disc on the input shaft of the transmission, and after wiggling it side to side for a bit I actually broke the transmission shifts. So not only do I know know why transmission wouldn't install, but I also know why the transmission wouldn't spin at all.

Here's to hoping she's a little better going back in

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Damn you guys are scaring me.
No need to be. These can give you headaches, but most of the time, they're not too bad.
Absolutely not in my opinion.
I've pulled the engine and transmission out of a wrecked truck together. I cut the core support out of the way and it was still all I could do to get them out. I'll NEVER try that again or will I try to install them that way.
Nope.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always push the alignment tool in and out (making sure it slides good) as I'm tightening up the pressure plate bolts (with small impact). After that it's all about the angle of the dangle as we used to say in the clutch business. Spend the time and energy ensuring it's lined up. Then push hard from the back. Wha-la. Thunk and it goes in.

Last edited: