Fuel questions

BlueHound

Reaction score
Hey all! So I have two idi trucks: a 1991 f250 7.3 N/A (soon to be turbo) E4OD 4X4 and a 1987 F350 6.9 t19 4X4. I know that back in the day the diesel had sulfur in it and that helped lube the fuel system. I have been told by some older guys that I should either get sulfur substitute or put ATF in my fuel for the long jevity and efficiency of my motors. This makes sense because I use lead substitute in my gas tractor from the 50’s but some more opinions never hurt. So what do you guys say on that?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run stanadyne lubricity supplement in mine, but my dad hardly ever ran anything in his GMC 6.5 turbo...and both trucks seem to run just fine after many years on ULSD. I'm not an expert on the subject, but from what I understand, there are lubricity additives in modern diesel that compensate for whatever process that removed the sulfur.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sulphur itself has nothing to do with lubrication. It's the process to remove sulphur that lowers the lubricity.
Modern fuels typically have enough additives. You're still going to replace idi injectors about every 100k miles anyways.
Run it for a piece of mind, or dont and call it good. Whatever makes you feel better. I occasionally run hot shots secret diesel extreme, and the everyday diesel treatment sometimes. Another I like, but haven't ran a ton is Full torque.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warranty for my moose pump was a big reason I ran lubricity supplement religiously.

I never tried the performance supplement though. How do you guys like it?

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've ran both. Don't notice any difference. Don't pull much not usually loaded to much except the usual junk. I usually get whats on lowest price, but it has been a toss up on Amazon. Lately mostly using the single shot performance because it is convenient. One bottle for 30 gallons, split it between tanks, fill up and go.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run Stanadyne Performance. Don't know that it makes a big difference, probably just more of a feel-good, but hey, it's what I do.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if you can find biodiesel. Best lubricity available and cheapest price (well cheaper than buying branded products). Also keeps stuff clean. Locally (for me) biodiesel is available for $1.15 a liter vs $1.25 for regular diesel.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I add 2 stroke oil every time I fill up. Its
See if you can find biodiesel. Best lubricity available and cheapest price (well cheaper than buying branded products). Also keeps stuff clean. Locally (for me) biodiesel is available for $1.15 a liter vs $1.25 for regular diesel.
ya but power and mpg take a hit.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I use Opti Lube, both summer and winter blend. The only thing I wondered about using ATF is if you happen to get your fuel inspected by DOT, it would have a reddish color. I'm afraid that they would say that I'm running off highway diesel. That's why I quit using ATF. I know a guy who got caught using "farm" diesel and had to pay a hefty fine. I'm not sure how much since he doesn't talk about it at all.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
No big deal though. It's a real common misconception.
Sure, by color they could proceed further.
I've actually seen non dyed fuel. I dont know if it was setup the same though, or if they were just doing something fishy.
I hear you can just file it on taxes and get your fuel taxes back like that.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk