Fuel filters/pumps etc

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As many know I'm working on my assembling a good setup for my truck.

I've got my Carrier pump all setup sort of how I like it. What I'm wondering is...

Using the 80 Micron filter in the Carrier, then into a 20 or 30 micron in a Racor FG500 then into the stock 7.3 filter is that well, ridiculous and too damn much or worthy of being a really good system?

Looking for suggestions from old hats here....the been there done that...worked or didn't work crowd:sly

gandalf

Reaction score
That sounds like a good set-up as far as I'm concerned. Actually, it's quite similar to what I have.

In order, I'm running fuel through a Carrier pump and filter, then into a Goldenrod filter/water separator, and into the stock filter. I've eliminated, for the time being, a small plastic bubble filter between the tank and the Carrier pump.

So far this has worked very well. I have found no drawbacks. Admittedly I don't stress the fuel system. For my use, so far, this has worked very well.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 80-micron is good for a trash filter. Should be low enough restriction to use on vacuum side of anything.
The 20- is good for 1st stage of a 3-stage system. Depending on the media you have in the stock housing,
it will be 20- to 10- micron. Good for second stage. If you run a 2-micron as the last stage, then you can
start thinking about WMO :)
Otherwise, what you have is fine... should last a while before changes.
Like too much horsepower, there is no such thing as too much filter. :)

<als>

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a 20mic regular oil filter for my first step then go to a 2 mic filter. When it gets into the single digits I had to bypass by 20 mic to keep fuel pressure up. In the last 13k miles of WMO I've replaced 1 20mic filter and it turned out that wasn't even the problem.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those e pumps don't like wmo ask me how I know

Haven't had a problem so far.....
If the mix is thinned enough for use as a fuel, a decent pump should not have trouble.
<als>
Lets stay focused on the question please, you can start another thread thats about WMO/electric pumps if you choose to!

Thanks for understanding!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 80-micron is good for a trash filter. Should be low enough restriction to use on vacuum side of anything.
The 20- is good for 1st stage of a 3-stage system. Depending on the media you have in the stock housing,
it will be 20- to 10- micron. Good for second stage. If you run a 2-micron as the last stage, then you can
start thinking about WMO :)
Otherwise, what you have is fine... should last a while before changes.
Like too much horsepower, there is no such thing as too much filter. :)

<als>
I will be running a WVO blend eventually, however not for a while, I'm still trying to get the darn centrifuge, and heater and filtering setup taken care of...

I've thought about getting down to 2 micron but don't know if I want to get that low on the truck.

The Racor FG500 can be had in 30/20/10 micron rating media and maybe a 2 micron too I don't know but I'm thinking 20 and a few spares in truck!

Not sure what the stock 7.3 filters rating is but that would be helpful in deciding what I'm going to do.

Lets keep this thread focused on filtering

Thanks guys

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bad, I should have finished with

"Yes that will be plenty of filtration for clean diesel"

You just have to watch you don't get too much resistance for your pump to push through. A gauge between the ip and stock filter head would be ideal so you know it's not starving it

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bad, I should have finished with

"Yes that will be plenty of filtration for clean diesel"

You just have to watch you don't get too much resistance for your pump to push through. A gauge between the ip and stock filter head would be ideal so you know it's not starving it

In the works...have the fuel rated remote isolator for my Autometer mechanical gauge so no worries there about monitoring fuel pressure!