Ford headlights stink - what to do?

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone come up with a slick way to replace the factory headlights in the '89-era trucks?

The factory headlights are poor when they're new, and near worthless after thirty years of deterioration.

LED bulbs have a lot of problems, like not reaching far enough and not focusing right so they blind oncoming cars. HID bulbs are a bit better, but still ******* oncoming traffic. Because of these problems, I don't want to just get new enclosures from LMC.

I would like to replace the entire system with something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007K8AA7I/?tag=2402507-20 or this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ED7HNY/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_4_w.

Has anyone come up with a slick way to mount these or something better? Ideally I'd like to replace my headlight assemblies entirely, rather than having auxiliary lights.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The ONLY headlight option for the Bricknose trucks is the factory plastic ones.

That being said, I’ve seen 2 different alternative options. One member acquired Australian headlights. They have a different headlight bucket and trim ring and use the standard 6x8 sealed beam lights. However, this option is worse than finding a needle in a haystack. They were used on a specific, not common package truck. They were found after years of searching. Even members that live in Australia can’t find them. Search for “Big Ed gets a facelift”

Another was a HID retrofit that @GOOSE used, that he bought from someone on another forum I believe. He has a couple posts about the lights, but in the current pictures of his truck, he has the factory headlights back in it. I know he had a battery fire, and not sure if the hid’s were damaged, or if there was another reason he changed back.

So unfortunately, on the Bricknose trucks (87-91) there isn’t really any better options. I have a Bricknose, and down on the list is new headlights and good bulbs, and a relay mod, but I have much bigger fish to fry before I worry about the headlights......

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory lights are bad enough that I'd like to ditch them entirely. Has anyone installed sealed beam headlight buckets from an early '80s rig? There seem to be good options for the older trucks.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the relay helps, and I need to do that on the truck I'm currently driving. The new housing would bring it back to new performance, but that was pretty weak, so I'd rather spend more money and get something better. That's going to require replacing the headlight assembly.

My first thought was to remove the entire front, grill and all, and put in some expanded metal fender to fender, and something like jeep headlight buckets.

My second thought has been to stick in the sealed beam headlight buckets from the older Ford rigs. That will probably look funny, but less funny than my first thought, and probably easier too.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not what you're looking for but I installed re-pro buckets from ebay and a relay harness
made a huge difference

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The factory lights are bad enough that I'd like to ditch them entirely. Has anyone installed sealed beam headlight buckets from an early '80s rig? There seem to be good options for the older trucks.

I'm sure you could, but you are going to have a huge gap around the headlights that only the Aussy headlight trim rings.

Take a look at this thread:

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/big-ed-gets-a-face-lift-aussie-headlights.72744/

This is the one that I referenced earlier, and it shows the difference in the pieces/parts of the standard brick and aussy brick headlights.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saburi, I do have a polishing kit. Might as well try that and a Silverstar bulb - it will be quick and cheap to try.

You must be registered for see images attach

Saw this somewhere I just googled it

That might be the sort of thing I'm looking for. I wonder what he bolted in, and how he did it.

It's not what you're looking for but I installed re-pro buckets from ebay and a relay harness made a huge difference

Re-pro buckets means new, clear, factory style light assemblies? That would be easy, but even when they were new, they weren't the brightest. I'd really like to do something better.