Finally Reassembled and Running.... WHOA! BIG FUEL LEAK!

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Yep, FINALLY got the "Chuffland" and "Suddenly No Propulsion" (previous threads) van going again. (HUGE thanks to member Hydro-idi for much awesome advice along the way ;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet; )

But, moments after startup, a serious dribble of fuel comes down the valley pan. I mean, running it for less than a minute puts a big puddle underneath; like a foot wide. All the rear fittings appear to be tight, and it's extra wet up at the front under the IP. No noticeable leaks before parking it 13 months :)eek:) ago.

At this point, Hydro tells me about the weep hole, and I'm about ready to weep. :cry:

Checked with the boss of my local injection shop, and explained symptoms. She didn't seem to know, so she called her boss. His opin: shaft seal flatspotted while sitting for such a long period , would need full disassembly to replace. BTW, this IP was rebuilt by them 2½ years ago, with only about 10k miles on it since then. (6 month warranty, BTW)

On Hydro's advice, I will spray down the valley pan, with brake cleaner, near the weep hole tomorrow, put some wadded paper towel right under the weep hole, and crank for a couple seconds. Being a van installation, visibility isn't great in the black hole.

Thoughts, gentlemen? :(

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
replace the seal on the return line. could be the culprit.
cheaper than an IP....
tis the season i guess!

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
replace the seal on the return line. could be the culprit.
cheaper than an IP....
tis the season i guess!

Strange you mention the return, IDIoit, as part of my scenario is that I've overfilled the tank, up to the top of the filler neck! (5 gallon jug + funnel = oops!)

SO, though the injection shop shot down the possibility: could this happen because the return plumbing is backed up? :dunno

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strange you mention the return, IDIoit, as part of my scenario is that I've overfilled the tank, up to the top of the filler neck! (5 gallon jug + funnel = oops!)

SO, though the injection shop shot down the possibility: could this happen because the return plumbing is backed up? :dunno

anything is possiable.
when i found my leak, the return line is the first thing i checked, since it was the only thing i saw over the leak.
the seal was old and brittle.
it didnt change the outcome for me, just hoping it would for you?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
No. Lol
At least shouldn't.
I always filled mine to the brim. Do the jetta and psd the same.
Good theory though.
Also the flat spotted seal is a new one. Haven't heard that before.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Hmmmm,

I had five IDI vans, all sitting for 1-3 years before going back on the road. Not one leaked from the IP. I'd like to know if this flat-spotted problem is more theory or more reality. Also, what about overhauled IPs that sit on a shelf for years? My friend has two that will probably not get used for 5-8 years.

Last edited:

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hard line between the filter and IP seals on both ends with "olives". I had a pretty good gusher at the pump inlet after a pump replacement. Check all the other injection lines at the pump too.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I can't see a seal flat stopping ever on our pumps. We would need the shaft to settle down to flat stop it and our shaft will not drop that much. Might be the drivers side plunger shaft seal. If thats the leak you still need to remove the pump to replace that seal. Sorry about the leak but its running just the same. Hope its nothing serious too.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Yeah, round shaft, round bore, umbrella-shaped seal. Flat spot? I'm having a hard time buying that. If y'all aren't saying "Oh, yeah, that happens a lot," then I'm wary.

Since "flatspotting" 's the opinion of my current injection shop, and they're not going to fix it for free, I'm seriously considering packing it up and shipping it to Mel at Conestoga, for a REAL second opinion.

Anyway, about to head out, figure out what I can, and limp her back into a spot to work on her. Stay tuned.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
The hard line between the filter and IP seals on both ends with "olives". I had a pretty good gusher at the pump inlet after a pump replacement. Check all the other injection lines at the pump too.

TahoeTom, since I'd misplaced the filter-to-IP hard line, I made the (seemingly pricey) investment in Conestoga's replacement hose. So, those olives are no longer in play.

Found my hard line, of course, shortly after the Conestoga hose arrived. cookoo :frustrate

Attachments

• 20141227_194330.jpg
    20141227_194330.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 114

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
I can't see a seal flat stopping ever on our pumps. We would need the shaft to settle down to flat stop it and our shaft will not drop that much. Might be the drivers side plunger shaft seal. If thats the leak you still need to remove the pump to replace that seal. Sorry about the leak but its running just the same. Hope its nothing serious too.

Thanks much, Gary, for your help on this long journey. Your "Be the Fuel" vid was very helpful in understanding (as best I can) the pump's inner workings. :hail:hail

There has been a small leak from the lower advance plunger? setup, but on the passenger side (where its linkage is), but that is not the source of this gusher.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
......There has been a small leak from the lower advance plunger? setup, but on the passenger side (where its linkage is), but that is not the source of this gusher.

Uh, upon closer look, yes, the linkage is on the DRIVER"S side...... duh.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On to new business: Update, condensed version:

**Paper towel under weephole and short crank: Yes, leak is from weep hole.

**Much hand-wringing and worry, about raising heck with the injection shop, while somehow getting the thing fixed.

**Asked an experienced Ford-diesel-guy I know (former fleet shop foreman I've dealt with); He advised: fill fuel filter with ATF, run it, and see if it improves. IT DID. IMMEDIATELY. LEAK COMPLETELY STOPPED. I expected a red river coming down the valley pan, but nothing. Ran it till it came up around temp. Still no leak. Stunned. Completely stunned. :eek:

Test driving tomorrow. Stunned, I say. Stunned.

You must be registered for see images attach

Did I say stunned?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmmmmm, i wonder if this could solve my leak also.....
gonna have to give it a try!

sassyrel

Reaction score
could have been a bit of varnish worked loose,, got under the seal, the atf dissolved it...