FINALLY, Bought my dad a Camaro. 38 years late

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Lookie what I just bought my dad!
You must be registered for see images attach

Its 38 years late, but he finally has the 70 Z28 he traded his 69 Z28 into a dealer for back in 1970. The dealer sold both cars while a friend took him to a bank to get the remainder of the funds.
Ever since I bought my 71 when I was 13 and started working on it with my dad and saw how much he wished he had one again, I wanted to get him a car of his own. I wanted to do it by his 60th birthday, its a year late now, but better late than never.
Its a little rough, but nothing me or my dad cant handle. :D
You must be registered for see images attach

Yes its a real 70 Z28.

Here's what it will look like when finished.
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Wait, that was a little hard to process. Your dad bought the car, the dealer sold it to somebody else, and then got the money from your dad?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Cool man, at least you actually did what you were wanting to do all those years ago.

I would love to suprise my grandma with a 55-57 Bel Air. I think it would be cool to get one and fix it all up for her with my grandpa. Alas, they are so fricking expensive, by the time I could affoard one, I doubt they will be around, kinda sucks to say but its the truth and I should be realistic. Until then I will keep on looking.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Okay, I'll explain. But keep in mind that my dad was 21 years old and had only been back from Nam for like 2 years.

So it goes, my dad put 100k on his 69 Z in less than a year and needed a new car. So he wanted to trade it off on a new 70 Z. So him and a buddy of his went out car shopping and found a dealer with a brand new 70 Z28 that he just fell in love with. So he struck up a deal with a salesman with the trade of his 69. But he needed like another $2000 on top of the trade, but the salesman told him he didnt want him driving off with the 69 or the 70 now that he'd started the paperwork on the deal. So my dad did something really stupid that he to this day still kicks himself for. He left his 69 at the dealer, but also left the title with the salesman. So him and his buddy drive to the bank and it takes 2 hours before they get back to the dealer. By the time they got back both cars were gone, and my dad was furious. The salesman walked up to him and basically said, well ya snooze ya loose, and here's a nice monte carlo for you. My dad was young and didnt think anything of taking the dealer to court over the deal, instead he settled for a 70 roadrunner and they gave him the same trade value on his 69.
He got royally screwed, and its allot his fault, but the dealer knew what he was doing and should have been taken to the cleaners over it.

So thats that part of the story.
The new happier ending is, I found this car about a week ago and its the exact same color as the one my dad fell in love with back then. Its an auto, and the one he wanted was a 4spd, so thats going to change, but other than that its the same car! I had to have it for him. So I broke the good news to him today over it.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Whats wrong with a 70 RoadRunner :D? I would love to own one of those thigns. Actually I would love to own any of the muscle cars from back in that era. I guess I'm just itching for some change, maybe its time to upgrade my truck (injectors, intercooler, moose pump, head gaskets and studs) ;Sweet

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
He hated that roadrunner. lol. It was the 440 car and had a single 950CFM Holley on it, replacing the 3x2 factory 6 pack setup. He said it was always breaking axles on launches, and constantly breaking starters with torque kickback. That thing left him stranded on the road more than once, and even had one of the axles break on him when he was driving down the interstate. He blipped the throttle and the axle just snapped, locked up both rear wheels and came to a sliding halt from 75mph. lol. One heck of a ride he said. But he always wanted that 70 Z that he never got.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
He hated that roadrunner. lol. It was the 440 car and had a single 950CFM Holley on it, replacing the 3x2 factory 6 pack setup. He said it was always breaking axles on launches, and constantly breaking starters with torque kickback. That thing left him stranded on the road more than once, and even had one of the axles break on him when he was driving down the interstate. He blipped the throttle and the axle just snapped, locked up both rear wheels and came to a sliding halt from 75mph. lol. One heck of a ride he said. But he always wanted that 70 Z that he never got.

Ahhh....musta been the dodge 8.75" (or something like that) rear end. Thats whats in my dads 70 Challenger (383ci bored to 440 pistons to make a 396ci, do the math :D, 4bbl, auto, SE with power windows and locks, A/C, basically fully loaded, but started life as a 2bbl 383car). I bet your dad wouldnt have had trouble if it had the Dana 60 in it like the Hemi cars had.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Oh, but it was the Dana 60. lol. Broke it every time he raced it, lol.
Anytime he'd slap a set of slicks on it, BANG! lol

suv7734

Reaction score
NICE!!!
I've got an RS front conversion kicking around somewhere for one if you're interested. Rad support etc.
I think there's even an original Z28 grill emblem out there somewhere...

Bruce

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
What motor did the 70 Z have in it? The 350 or the 396?
Nothing is funner to drive than an old F-body. NOTHING.
My 67 would flat out get up and GO when it was running. That Pontiac 400 was a torque beast.
My buddy has a 79 Z28 with a 350 that's just rotting right now until he gets some funds to fix it, until then, he's driving his 95 Formula. Either of those cars can do a good long burnout. His 79 and my 67 both have dual exhaust with glasspacks, and they sound sweet. I think his had the TH350, but possibly the TH400. I know mine has the 400 though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle