Fel Pro or Victor Heinz?

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question, and not wanting to start a ******* contest because I know sometimes a question like this can create more opinions than facts.

My question is, which one is more popular and preferred for head gaskets and why? Or is there any difference at all?

I've always used Fel Pro for head gaskets, or OEM when I had to, but I think I may have recently got a set of factory defects. [emoji35] , anyway starting over again after I get my heads back from the shop. I dunno if I'll go back with Fel Pro or try the Heinz .... Just looking for some opinions and personal experience

Thanks

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heinz, or Reinz?
sounds like you need to ketchup!

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, I know.... It's been discussed at least a dozen times or so, but I haven't been able to quickly find any discussions relating to it.

I was just wanting a quick opinion, or so.

I've always had good luck with Fel Pro, but I'm thinking this last set was crap from the factory. I let her run for about ten minutes the first time after getting her back together, and she had at least a gallon of coolant in the crank case.... Didn't see any defects in the heads or cylinder walls, no cracks in the water jackets.

The only thing I found odd was while I was cleaning the decks and surface of the heads I noticed that it appeared the gaskets hadn't made full contact..... The goo was only on the surface in spots, and it appeared that the gaskets were untouched in areas like they didn't seal...... Idk

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I found one thread related to what I'm looking for, they say in that thread that the Fel Pro gaskets are a tad bit thicker than the Reinz.

Idk maybe I just got that 1 in 100,000 set that was bad. Or maybe they were just old, I dunno, but I'll find out when I get my heads back. Guess I'll go with the Fel Pro again, when I get my heads back from the machine shop. Gonna get pressure tested and hot dipped this time, didn't think I really needed it last time due to them not leaking prior, and having less than 100,000 miles on em. hope I don't have the same problem, it's starting to get expensive having to lick my calf over again

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go take a peek over at R&D, i heard he's selling performance head gaskets.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Both felpro and victor reinz are good gaskets but they do have an up and down side to them. The flepro has the letters printed in one of the lower corners. Now you may need to check the precup protrusion too. Factory setting is 2 1/2 above or below the heads is ok. Any more above the heads will cause a coolant leak. I recall a member many years back have a leaker and found it was a precup was about 3 1/2 thousands above the head. My suggestion is clean the block deck with a honing stone and oil. What you are looking for is high spots called eyebrows. Any damage to a mating surface usually turns up the metal. Then a stone cuts it down but it appears like an eyebrow around bolt holes or damaged area. Anytime two steel surfaces are to be bolted together they should be stoned with a honing stone to insure there are no high places.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know he talked about it. But I haven't heard anything else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Still in testing phase. Not in production yet. I will be getting the second set I hope.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Icanfixall
I'll definitely check that, I'll admit, I failed to do so the last go around.

I have a few honing stones, I may have to get more of its that far out of kilter. I know I'll definitely have to get some courser stones if so.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thought,

If I remember correctly, I think it's possible to over torque the heads without breaking anything but distort the block enough to cause piston scuffing, and possibly coolant leaks?

I installed ARP head studs and torqued then to 150 ft lbs. I wonder if it was too much?

I might try torquing them to 125 ft lbs when I resemble it this time.