Fan clutch

84 4x4

Reaction score
Ok, need a fan clutch that works, got one from Rock Auto that was worthless.
Anyone with a cure for crap parts, ie fan clutches? Or options?

Thanks, Phil

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say, I bought a couple parts from 4 seasons I was less than impressed with, and none of them were as critical as a fan clutch. Your results may vary though.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck Ive got a fan clutch( unknown manufacturer) that seems to never unlock. I can get the engine to 160* with the a/c going in the west texas heat.... Im not complaining,though

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I got a "closeout" Motorcraft fan clutch from RockAuto almost a year ago. It dropped the operating temp by about 10-15 degrees. MPG took a noticeable hit too. So it must be working.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I have no clue what brand mine is. It was brand new from Napa. You can sure hear that it’s working in the morning. I’ve never gotten the truck hot enough for it to come on. It looks really good though

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
There have been Motorcraft clutches around quite a bit lately, around $60 or a little more. Made me want to buy a spare.... Find the part # then search by that. Rock Auto even had Motorcraft cheap.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck Ive got a fan clutch( unknown manufacturer) that seems to never unlock. I can get the engine to 160* with the a/c going in the west texas heat.... Im not complaining,though
I just replaced one on my 94 like that. It never ran hot, but I lost 3 mpg on the highway. Unfortunately I didn't notice it wasn't' unlocking till I was on a 2800 mile road trip. That 3mpg would have paid for the new clutch had I noticed before I left.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just replaced one on my 94 like that. It never ran hot, but I lost 3 mpg on the highway. Unfortunately I didn't notice it wasn't' unlocking till I was on a 2800 mile road trip. That 3mpg would have paid for the new clutch had I noticed before I left.

I have the same situation I believe. Don’t know my fan has ever been off. Driving 3000 miles at 3mpg less sounds costly

jericho

Reaction score
If I could add a question about clutches. My clutch is stiff to turn by hand when engine is cold.Does that mean it's bad? Also putting the fan/clutch back on after a water pump replace, how the heck do you tighten that big nut, how tight, and do you use a thread locker? special tools?

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clutch should be stiff when cold. It takes some heat to loosen up. For me, it takes about two miles of driving for the clutch to loosen. You can hear the fan get quiet if you are running highway speeds.
Yes to thread locker on the clutch, blue not red. I just use a big adjustable wrench on my clutch, but they make a special thin wrench for it as well.

jericho

Reaction score
Clutch should be stiff when cold. It takes some heat to loosen up. For me, it takes about two miles of driving for the clutch to loosen. You can hear the fan get quiet if you are running highway speeds.
Yes to thread locker on the clutch, blue not red. I just use a big adjustable wrench on my clutch, but they make a special thin wrench for it as well.

Thanks, that's good news one less thing to buy!

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I just use a big adjustable wrench on my clutch, but they make a special thin wrench for it as well.

I made my special thin wrench out of about 1/4"x2 1/2" flatbar, painted "Snap-on" on it & hung it on the wall.
BTW, everybody probably already knows, but that nut is lefthand threads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online