Fan clutch

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I also HATE thread locker on these threads. I've run into two trucks that had it on the fan nut threads. Once I broke the nut loose, I still had to use my 24" Channel Locks to spin the nut off. I had to use them until the fan fell off. I'll never use it here.

jericho

Reaction score
At one time I had a fleet of these trucks and I have never used loctite. In fact I always use neversieze. I always brace a 3/8 drive extension from one of the pulley bolts to something solid. Then whack the 1 7/8 wrench with a hammer. Usually 1 whack to loosen or tighten.
I also HATE thread locker on these threads. I've run into two trucks that had it on the fan nut threads. Once I broke the nut loose, I still had to use my 24" Channel Locks to spin the nut off. I had to use them until the fan fell off. I'll never use it here.
I think I'll follow this advice. Anti-seize has always been my friend, and it was hard as hell to get the fan off the old water pump, with no loctite. And I had removed the fan/pump as a unit to attack it on the bench.:smash:

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I had opposite luck... I used a 3 foot cheeter on my cresson wrench to tighten mine up leaning ALL 230 lbs of myself against it 4 different times and every time as soon as I would kill the engine after a short trip it would spin itself off. That's changing the clutch and 2 different new water pumps. Gave up last time wen it spun off too quick and punched my radiator hard enough to leak. I used blue thread lock and more excessive force to tighten it up and haven't had issues since. I used a severe duty clutch(don't remember brand) and I still get to about 220 under a real heavy load and decent grade if it's long enough here in centralish Texas (west of Fort Worth) but even in this heat as soon as I run empty or at least on flat ground loaded my temps stay around 180-190. If I let it idle it stays at or below 160

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I had opposite luck... I used a 3 foot cheeter on my cresson wrench to tighten mine up leaning ALL 230 lbs of myself against it 4 different times and every time as soon as I would kill the engine after a short trip it would spin itself off.

That risk is why I used about one small drop of blue locktite on my new fan clutch. The old one (probably original from 1985) was still fairly working, just now as well as the new one does. It'll probably outlast the whole RV.