F-450 front leafs...a few questions

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
I have been eyeballing a few F-450's I've seen around town and noticed the front leafs have a nice arch to them. Thinking about picking up a set of these to try on my 87' F350 for some additional lift. I already have a drop pitman arm on my shelf and can make my own track bar drop bracket.
Now I've heard they ride like a buckboard, but what gives? It seems the front end of my truck should ride similar to the F-450 they came out of? Maybe the 450's dont ride well from the get go, but I had a 95' service truck that seemed OK. Would the F-450 shocks work in conjunction swapped onto my truck?
Are there differences between the Brick and OBS F-450 front leafs? I did find a 90' F-450 here on town at a salvage yard that has a good set. They are a 2-leaf pack and definitely have more positive arch than my stockers with the AAL.

If anyone has done this please share your experience and maybe a picture of the lift gained with the spring swap. Would sure appreciate it. Thanks

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about running just the main leafs of the F-Superduty truck (not both leafs), that would probably be closer to stock height and possibly allow for better axle articulation that factory springs can provide?

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
What about running just the main leafs of the F-Superduty truck (not both leafs), that would probably be closer to stock height and possibly allow for better axle articulation that factory springs can provide?

I like the idea, but I was hoping to get some suspensionlift out of the deal. The cheaper cost vs. Lift springs is what caught my attention when I first came across the F-450 springs.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have considered using F-Superduty front springs in place of the tired original springs and AAL's on my F350 also. From what I have heard and read, most regret installing them due to the harsh ride - kidney belt required! So, I have been reluctant to go this route. I am hoping somebody will weigh in on this subject that has actually done this and provide first hand experience. Maybe somebody has the spec's on the F-Superduty springs vs. the F350 springs. I think the F350 springs are rated at 2,200 lbs. but no idea on the rating of the F-Superduty springs. Now I would assume the F-Superduty springs would have a much higher rating, but they would still be used in a similar situation - another solid axle truck. I would also think that the D60 weighs more than beam type solid axle in the F-Superduty. Of course, there are other alternatives to lifting the front end of the F350 a little if you want to throw some money at the problem - RSK, Tuff Country 28280 2" lift springs, etc. Just seems like the F-Superduty springs would be a cheap and easy way of getting a little front lift. Anyway, I will be watching this thread as well - thanks for asking the question.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do bear in mind, "axle articulation" is *not* in a F450's spring's vocabulary.
Kenny-
i will be milling out the last of my F450 trucks after christmas, if you want a pair of front springs, they're yours but you will have to come here to pick them up.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towcat, aye, I know axle articulation is practically non-existent in the F-Superduty's factory 2-leaf arrangement, I was wondering if running a single leaf would make things better.

Bookite03, a F-Superduty has the axle's spring perch sitting right around 11" below the bottom of the frame rail. Factory F350 should have that distance at around 8", therefore using F-Superduty springs in place of factory F350 ones should yield a lift of around 3". With your AAL you can crawl under your truck and measure from the top of the D60 spring perch up to the bottom of the frame rail, compare your number with the F-Superduty's 11" and the difference will be your ride height gain over your current setup.

Tbrumm, JBG has extra heavy-duty F350 springs rated at 3495lbs, so F-Superduty springs should be way more than the 2200 lbs you're thinking of.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Towcat, aye, I know axle articulation is practically non-existent in the F-Superduty's factory 2-leaf arrangement, I was wondering if running a single leaf would make things better.

the way the springs are built, you will need both or they will not work. i will post the pics later on today to visually describe this happy little nightmare.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the way the springs are built, you will need both or they will not work. i will post the pics later on today to visually describe this happy little nightmare.

LOL Happy little nightmare may be the best descriptive innuendo I've heard this year

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL Happy little nightmare may be the best descriptive innuendo I've heard this year
my kidneys are usually beaten and bruised by the time I sneak into the SEATAC area from a hot run from kali. I've already punched past my max logbook hours 12 hours ago and the only thing that's holding my eyes open is the pain as I am peeing out all the coffee and blood from my bruised kidneys. I'm sorta grateful I can't do runs like that anymore.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my kidneys are usually beaten and bruised by the time I sneak into the SEATAC area from a hot run from kali. I've already punched past my max logbook hours 12 hours ago and the only thing that's holding my eyes open is the pain as I am peeing out all the coffee and blood from my bruised kidneys. I'm sorta grateful I can't do runs like that anymore.

Calvin, you should try really consider writing "Hot Shot Hauling for Dummies".....LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calvin, you should try really consider writing "Hot Shot Hauling for Dummies".....LOL
with the use of "Pre-Pass" in most rigs these days, a central computer will flag any abnormalities if a truck is traveling from point "A" to "B". the days of keeping multiple logbooks are gone. Let's say you hit the scales at Redding, CA and less than two hours later you hit the scales at Cordelia, CA, you are going to get flagged in and get written up for speeding. they are going to want to know how you beat at timed distance of 2.5 hours at 55 mph and running it under 2 hours. it's no longer any fun to try to beat the system.

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been running the F450/FSuperduty spring on my 1993 CCLB 4x4 for several months now. Definitely not as smooth a ride as the factory leaves were but I do not consider it to be as bad as most people make it out to be. My lifted 97 Ram 1500 rode worse as did my 1985 CUCV Chevy. With the F450 leaves and the 35" tires I put on my truck sits ~5" higher than it did stock. My wife doesn't even mind the ride, she just hates trying to get up into it. She is 5'3" and I am 6'2". My daughter loves to drive the ole truck and my boys love to ride in it.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Appreciate the info guys. I'm thinking I will give it a shot and see what happens. Trying to iron out some good shocks to use on the setup along with building a track bar drop bracket.
Hoping to score some other parts from the same yard the springs are at so the more I buy the cheaper they get! Can you say 7.3 PSD Intercooler?

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bookite03 - good luck with your spring swap. Please let us all know how it goes and how the ride is. Maybe some pictures too????