Airbags or Timbrins,and a few other questions

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking if I drive up I would do 95 to 64, up to 81 then 78. I think that's it. No Quantico or DC. No Maryland , Delaware. The longest shot will be thru PA. No Jersey tpk

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have Firestone bags.

I would look into doing something with yours. It's bad on the rubber to drive them with zero air in them, manual says to have at least 5psi in them. It doesn't raise the ride height, but helps protect the bags from wear.
I think the paper work that came with mine, said to keep at least 10lbs of air in them.

For the brass air fittings to fill them, I used the 2 top license plate holes on the rear bumper.
It`s one of those grey bumpers I have seen on other older Fords, guess a dealer or factory option? IDK, but wish they would have made the area for the Ball/license plate inch or so taller. The plate is wider by about 1/2". So cut a piece on 1 3/4" angle iron, 14" long, with 2 holes for the plate and 2 on each end to protect the plate and brass fittings.
Then topped it off with 2 chrome valve caps.

EDIT: The Bumper has a name sticker "Luverne", Truck Equipment Co.

Goat

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I did something similar for years, except I had mine mounted on the driver's side bed right behind the mud flap. Last year I installed a mobile compressor and leveling switches on the dash. Easily best mod I've ever done. You know, besides the turbo.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stumbled onto this thread from 5 mo ago that I had responded to on the Air bags.

Quickster did you ever get your load hauled, or sitting in jail?

The month of March, from the 9th to the last day, Grunt hauled 19 loads of rock. 1 1/2 yards ea time.
Each load was 3K lbs or more, and the one load of Asphalt grindings had to be 4K lbs. It is more tightly packed compared to gravel.
3 loads on 1 1/2" fractured rock, and 15 loads of 3/4" fractured.
Hauled it 29 miles to home to fix our middy drive way from all the snow melt.

Pumped the bags to 40lbs and rear tires to 80 lbs, and she road rock solid.
Went across the scales for one load, empty 5640, loaded 8640.

The Asphalt load, we were over loaded by the way the truck handled. So next time I haul it, only one yard.

Withe bags and tires pumped to up, she rides hard empty, but loaded she rides good.

Tomorrow Iam hauling Kioti Tractor down to Carson City to the dealer for a complete service and a few things fixed. Well see how she handles.
trailer is 22ft 10K lb GVW.

I highly recommend the Fire Stone Air Bags.

Goat

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
That's supposedly legal in Arizona to pull dohbles with a class C license, but you'll definitely get pulled over in Oregon for that, regardless where you originated from.
Yes U WILL for sure!!!!
In '93 I got got over at Ontario....a Trooper. I had waited till bout 11PM (short nap) then headed thru town headed to Redmond. He got me......I pulled into Safeway parking lot & stopped in big semi-circle. (I was grossing bout 35-36,000# & 82' long with my '90 CCLB Dually & 2 stacks of trailers)
He was surprised I had come all way from Tx loaded like I was......
He asked lots of questions.....like what I do at the Or scales. I replied they never have said anything. What I didn't tell him was I don't cross Or. scales loaded 2 stacks of trailers.....If Or. scales open I drop one stack, cross scales, then go back later & get other trailer stack.
He asked how long I was????? Course I didn't know.....Hahaha 82'
He/we measured across the semi-circle.....I held the short end of the tape & managed to cheat him bout 16" in the dark.......
I had bought a 14 da overweight permit before I left Or so I was covered on weight.
I had a CDL with doubles & triples endorsements so was sort'a covered.
Finally he wrote me a $43 ticket, a promise I'd drop the back stack at the John Deere Dealership couple mi on down the road.........
Then he said "If I catch you out here on MY ROAD....ON MY Road later tonite I'll throw your G@% DA#@# A$$ in jail!!!!"
He also told me only way to pull 2 trailers in Oregon was to have a Factory Cab & Chassis rig & it had to be set up for 5th wheel, not Gooseneck.
Oh well I live on the edge............

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I got Firestone Airbags on mine. Have the air-up in my rear fuel tank opening......open door & there each one is for each side of truck.
And never run them empty, at least 10#.
Recently hauled load grossing 28K .....Truck, 22' bumper pull trailer & load. I had my bags up to 75# & rode great.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Goat, I picked up the skid steer from up north and did not get pulled over once. I used a plate off my neighbors trailer did not get pull
ed over. The truck ran good, but it was the reason I did the turbo install. I bought the timbres thinking I could throw them on and be good to go. But that's not the case. The brake lines wrap around the axle and would have been broken off if I Installed them. So I need to bend new brake lines to run along the back of the axle. I'm taking a break from working on the truck. Just had to put 2 new batteries in and a lift pump. Been too much lately.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online