excessive heat coming from shifter boot

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 91 F-350 CC 4x4 with a 5spd 7.3 ATS turbo. I don't know if there is another layer or some sort of piece to put in the shift boot or under the shift boot to keep the heat from coming inside the cab. I live in vegas and the A/C is currently not working and it was about 130 degrees inside the truck. Any help would be appreciated. I also tried wrapping the downpipe with heat wrap and it didn't seem to help very much.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its time to replace the rubber boot. Thats really the only way the heat will stop getting into the cab.

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is also a stock piece of foam that fits under the boot. We found one in the junk yard but good luck finding one. We got some dense foam from a foam shop and cut it to fit. With about 3 layers of foam and slightly larger than the shifter opening, this keeps all noise and air out of the truck.
A nice closed cell foam will help keep it from absorbing "liquid".

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another little KNOWN option is to take a RANGER pu heater bypass control valve and install it into the heater lines. Connect the vacuum line to the AC door line and voila...when on MAX AC the coolant does not enter the cabin of the vehicle.....

JM2CW but it works!

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another little KNOWN option is to take a RANGER pu heater bypass control valve and install it into the heater lines. Connect the vacuum line to the AC door line and voila...when on MAX AC the coolant does not enter the cabin of the vehicle.....

JM2CW but it works!

X2, but think mine came out of an exploder. MAKE SURE IT IS FROM FORD, the aftermarket ones we tried leaked within a couple of weeks.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What fluid are you running in the ZF?

The wrong fluid will let the ZF5 run hotter than it should and that heat will transfer to the cab. Just ask Chris (diesel4me2) He used some Royal Purple Synchromax in his ZF5 and the trans temp (he's got a gauage on his) was >400! He swapped it out to synthetic ATF and the temps were close to 200 degrees lower!

But, like the others have said, the little dense white foam piece under the boot is key to keeping heat out of the cab.

Heath

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone I think IM going to try the dense foam this weekend I'll let everyone know how it goes and I might Truro change the fluid in the tranny haven't done that yet what atf do you recommend and does anyone run lucas in theirs?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i lived in my truck at one time. 980k/mi on the logbook. many home remedies MIGHT work, but the Ford OEM boot assy WILL WORK. I didn't take much stock in it at first until I finally caved in and spent the money. seven years ago that was $75. check out the "parts bin" in the tech articles. the part number for the shifter boot assy is in there. SPEND THE MONEY . you will not regret it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin