Engine-Tech Head Gaskets

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I wonder if they would grind a differant cam for us on the blanks they have...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah it is a generic sbc cam picture, and no they will only do stock cams, I had my engine parts guy check years ago, if I ordered 50 they would make them.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Flat tappet camshaft
Not A roller

description says its a stock cam with roller lifters. REally not a bad price for a set made by Melling or Clevite if delivered as described.

I do remember a few years ago there was some outfit selling some high performance cams for our engines that were flat tappet through Summit racing, but they must not have sold very many , if any because they went away pretty quick

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
description says its a stock cam with roller lifters. REally not a bad price for a set made by Melling or Clevite if delivered as described.

I do remember a few years ago there was some outfit selling some high performance cams for our engines that were flat tappet through Summit racing, but they must not have sold very many , if any because they went away pretty quick

with the low rpm of diesel and low spring pressure of the springs a flat tappet may have some advantage over a roller, A flat cam will lift the valve sooner for the first .200 of cam lift and with todays synthetic oils the advantage of roller tappets in fricton have shrunk in advantages.
Did the industrial application 6.9 come with flat tappet from the manufacture?

Now I dont think it is a great idea to use a flat tappet when you already have roller but what would be the actual cost of a custom ground cam and if you can gain an advantage on the profile of the lobe over a roller, our heads do not flow over .400 lift so high lift is not needed for a boosted engine anyhow.

Javier

Revelstoke

Reaction score
Great info. The truth is, I really don't know what's in there. You have made me think, however, that I'd better just wait to see before I go and start spending a bunch of money for the wrong parts. Truth is, I imagine it's bone stock, so I imagine it's the flat tappet. It would have been assembled in 1987, so who know's. I must say, Ive seen those roller tappets bent over and a ruined head before, so neither are withouth their respective problems. I'm sure a flat cam would come apart sooner or later too. I believe the one I saw belonged to WM Services, and they just wanted the one roller fixed. Yah, right. well, a few months later and another one came apart. They drive those trucks pretty hard.

Revelstoke

Reaction score
I guess my main concern at this point is knowing the quality of these components before I go to get them. I could drive over to Idaho, and get the OEM lifters and cam, but this outfit is a lot less. I like their write up and manufacturing process but I live by the addage (I think Reagan said it), "Trust but verify."

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
All of our cams are roller. Issue with the flats is custom rockers would be needed to tune up.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I just read a deal in Drive Magazine about Iskie Cams building a non needle bearing roller lifter... Wel hell... We had those in our 6.9 idi years ago.. They would stick... Flatten the cam and ruin things... They are selling this as the answer... I didn't know a question had been asked. Now they didn't say this was for an idi but they seem to be reaching out to all out there in market land. I have a set of the oem roller lifters with the bushing bearing and not the needle bearing.... Iske is saying the load is better spread out over the roller than it is on the needle bearings. Thats ture but only to someone selling something like they are... Physical facts are this is true but they have been shown to not be a faithful lifter in our engines... Maybe in a race engine they work fine...:dunno

Black dawg

Reaction score
I just read a deal in Drive Magazine about Iskie Cams building a non needle bearing roller lifter... Wel hell... We had those in our 6.9 idi years ago.. They would stick... Flatten the cam and ruin things... They are selling this as the answer... I didn't know a question had been asked. Now they didn't say this was for an idi but they seem to be reaching out to all out there in market land. I have a set of the oem roller lifters with the bushing bearing and not the needle bearing.... Iske is saying the load is better spread out over the roller than it is on the needle bearings. Thats ture but only to someone selling something like they are... Physical facts are this is true but they have been shown to not be a faithful lifter in our engines... Maybe in a race engine they work fine...:dunno

I would think that lifter design is aimed at solid rollers. They can be very ******* needle bearings because of the lash needed with a solid lifter. I would bet that they pressure oil that bushing and let the oil take the beating.