7.3 tear down/rebuild (hydrolocked)

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My clearance came out to 25thou which is a little less than I would like. I'm going to gamble a bit and count on the new head gasket being thicker and getting me the extra clearance.
I've checked this myself and I can say that Fel-Pro head gaskets are .010" thicker than Victor Reinz head gaskets both before and after being compressed by bolting the heads on.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've checked this myself and I can say that Fel-Pro head gaskets are .010" thicker than Victor Reinz head gaskets both before and after being compressed by bolting the heads on.

Good deal! I'm 90% sure the gaskets they gave me are fel-pro. But i couldn't remember for sure when typing that post out so I left that information out.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for another update!

Made a lot of progress in the past few days.

I got a nice reminder that the service manual i'm using is for these engines going into Navistar trucks and not a Ford truck. Thought I would be smart and cut out a plate to the design listed in the manual for testing the oil cooler. Annnnd Denied!

You must be registered for see images attach

So i had to set the oil cooler aside and I'll probably redesign that plate and cut another one.

On to the water pump...

As part of my effort to make this build as expensive as possible, i went ahead and ordered a brand new US motor works (US4018) waterpump. This actually turned into a bit of an interesting discovery for me. The new water pump came with its own gasket, and i also had a gasket that came with my gasket kit, and they didn't match. Gasket supplied with the water pump is on the left and the gasket from the gasket kit is on the right.

You'll notice the gasket on the left is made so that it seals off that cavity in the water pump, whereas the gasket on the right has the two notches that will allow coolant to move between the pump area and cavity. Below are comparisons between the two on the pump.

I opted to use the one with the notches for the following reasons. When i removed my old pump, there was a nasty goo that had built up in that cavity on the pump. The gasket from the pump i removed did not have those notches. So i suspect there was a minor leak, that overtime let that cavity build up with coolant creating that nasty goo. The notches will hopefully allow coolant to circulate through there keeping that area clean.

The other thing i noticed was that the gasket in the illustration had the notches shown in it as well.

Enough about waterpumps and gaskets, back to the engine.

Oil pan installed. I picked Reinzosil as my sealant of choice. The key that is supplied with the tube is probably the handiest thing ever. Makes it real easy to make a nice even controlled line of sealant.

Head gasket installed. Shoutout to anyone who has wrestled these heads with the engine in the truck or van. Moving these heads sure kicked my scrawny butt.

Two more pictures. Nothing really exciting here.

Things are going to slow down for a bit. Going to repaint the engine. But it will be awhile before my injectors and injector pump arrive so things are going to sit for a while. I'll continue to post updates as a chip away at small things.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You'll notice the gasket on the left is made so that it seals off that cavity in the water pump, whereas the gasket on the right has the two notches that will allow coolant to move between the pump area and cavity.
That's interesting. I don't remember seeing any gaskets with those notches. I may have seen them and just don't remember. I didn't pay much attention to the ones that were already on an engine with an old water pump. All of the ones that we used in the shop were Fel-Pros.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. I don't remember seeing any gaskets with those notches. I may have seen them and just don't remember. I didn't pay much attention to the ones that were already on an engine with an old water pump. All of the ones that we used in the shop were Fel-Pros.

Yeah I don't really know, or at least wasn't trying to imply that one gasket was better than the other. I'm sure many folks have run the notchless gasket and not had any issues. Even i didn't really have an issue with it. Just had that nasty goo build up in the cavity. So i decided to run this notched gasket mostly just to do something different. Although now that i think about it, who knows when I'll have this pump off again to actually see the results LOL

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Modified the mounting plate so i could test the oil cooler. I have to say the drawing that is in the manual leaves a lot to be desired, in fact it kind of down right sucks. Its a starting point i suppose. Either way got it to fit and pressure tested.

I figured out the crankshaft flex plate spacer makes a nice adapter for pressing the balancer back on.

+100 HP for primer

+200 HP for paint

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't press the balancers on. I smack them hard with my 56oz. dead blow hammer and they will go all the way back on or close to it. Also do yourself a favor and thread your cooling fan onto the water pump a few turns while the engine's on the stand. Sometimes the threads on the new water pumps aren't perfect and the fan will be hard to get started on them. It's easier to get the fan started on an engine stand than when the engine's in the truck. If you want to, you can put the protective sleeve back over the threads after that.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Notched, looks like you are using an original international service manual like me aswell

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had pitting like that on my front cover and no leaks with RTV plus gasket. Interesting on the notched coolant thing, so strange to have a dead zone like that from the factory. I like your thinking though.

Great pictures, great progress!

I love your shop press. :Thumbs Up That's using your noggin!

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This will probably be my last update until my pump and injectors arrive. Nothing exciting to post, just got the last of the manifolds installed.

I hope that its only because of the various supply chain interruptions going on right now, but that new valley pan gasket was an absolute bear to track down.

It was only after installing the intake manifold i realized..."Well shoot...that thing needs paint." So it didn't get as nice of a paint job as the rest of the engine.

Oil cooler mounted

Exhaust manifolds mounted (i'm taking bets on how long the high temp paint lasts).

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Time for another update!

Made a lot of progress in the past few days.

I got a nice reminder that the service manual i'm using is for these engines going into Navistar trucks and not a Ford truck. Thought I would be smart and cut out a plate to the design listed in the manual for testing the oil cooler. Annnnd Denied!

So i had to set the oil cooler aside and I'll probably redesign that plate and cut another one.

On to the water pump...

As part of my effort to make this build as expensive as possible, i went ahead and ordered a brand new US motor works (US4018) waterpump. This actually turned into a bit of an interesting discovery for me. The new water pump came with its own gasket, and i also had a gasket that came with my gasket kit, and they didn't match. Gasket supplied with the water pump is on the left and the gasket from the gasket kit is on the right.

You'll notice the gasket on the left is made so that it seals off that cavity in the water pump, whereas the gasket on the right has the two notches that will allow coolant to move between the pump area and cavity. Below are comparisons between the two on the pump.

I opted to use the one with the notches for the following reasons. When i removed my old pump, there was a nasty goo that had built up in that cavity on the pump. The gasket from the pump i removed did not have those notches. So i suspect there was a minor leak, that overtime let that cavity build up with coolant creating that nasty goo. The notches will hopefully allow coolant to circulate through there keeping that area clean.

The other thing i noticed was that the gasket in the illustration had the notches shown in it as well.

Enough about waterpumps and gaskets, back to the engine.

Oil pan installed. I picked Reinzosil as my sealant of choice. The key that is supplied with the tube is probably the handiest thing ever. Makes it real easy to make a nice even controlled line of sealant.

Head gasket installed. Shoutout to anyone who has wrestled these heads with the engine in the truck or van. Moving these heads sure kicked my scrawny butt.

Two more pictures. Nothing really exciting here.

Things are going to slow down for a bit. Going to repaint the engine. But it will be awhile before my injectors and injector pump arrive so things are going to sit for a while. I'll continue to post updates as a chip away at small things.

Thanks for reading!

If you ever got around to running the engine, has the water pump held up? I bought one on eBay listed as Murray CO4018 but what I got appears to be the US4018. No box with it but listing showed a Murray box.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you ever got around to running the engine, has the water pump held up? I bought one on eBay listed as Murray CO4018 but what I got appears to be the US4018. No box with it but listing showed a Murray box.
Hey @Cubey , he posted this truck for sale a while back. I don't remember if he sold it or not.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is still sitting so not a lot of miles, but there was nothing about the water pump that would concern me from a longevity standpoint. I was very pleased with it.