6.9 and 7.3 IDI Engine Reseal and Rebuild Kits

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol there is an old guy here in town that will sell me one of the last 8 in the county for a 100$. 800 for a motor.

Basicaly he said no

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder what it would take to get one machined
A pre-cup? Hopefully not just one... :D At least 8 or maybe 1,000 and sell them. Good point though, can't be TOO bad maybe?

I like @Thewespaul's point that by the time the pre-cup is toast-- so is the head. I've never even seen the inside of my own IDI but from what I've read the last 12 years on here and FTE this sounds pretty much perfect with the masses that have actually torn down these engines. I bet @IDIBRONCO could chime in with his opinion as he wrenched on hundreds of them. @IDIoit as well, and I'm sure I'm missing some others, forgive me. :angel:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could reproduce a precup out of stainless or inconel on a five axis mill but it would be a lot more than $800 per set... when the day comes that you can’t get nos precups or decent heads then maybe it would be an option to explore but at this point there’s not much of a need

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I really don't have much experience here. At the shop I used to work at, we would tear down the engines and take them to our machine shop. They would take care of them from there. I know if the heads needed to be fixed, they'd be sent off to Diesel Cast. My opinion is that while most of the precups are cracked slightly, since Inconel is much harder than cast, I would think that if a precups is bad then the head would probably also be too. On all of the engines that I have torn down, I really didn't inspect the heads very closely, but I can say that it was pretty rare for a 6.9/7.3 to have major parts (such as heads, cranks, or rods) that couldn't be reused. Now with the 6.2/6.5 GM, on the other hand, it wasn't uncommon to see major parts that we couldn't reuse.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive cracked more heads than cracked precups past the fire ring...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
On the first page that comes up (home page?) it talks about a loose precup damaging the block surface. I've seen this once. The damage was about 3/8" deep in both the block and the piston. Needless to say, that block was one of the few 6.9/7.3s that weren't good as a core. I just wonder why the customer kept driving with it like that. It had to make one NASTY knock.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know when you get that website up and going, it's awesome to see some actual competition coming into the market

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7