Egt questions

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a little problem I guess you could say. My 1990 extended cab f250 7.3 idi n/a 5 speed long bed is giving me a little issue. I was towing my 17ft camper home Tuesday from camping it was full of water. The truck was doing great but my egt wouldn't stay down. I couldn't get my throttle pass quarter way. If I did my egts where at 1200 on flats or it was worse up hills. The truck has plenty of power but I can't use it cause of the egts. Any ideas to help bring them down?

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
2 options.
1. Turbo.
2. Turn the pump down.

4.10's or 3.55?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
3. Water injection:sly
4. Bigger exhaust
5. Cowel induction

But mainly option 1 or 2.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if he did swap it, he's running the R&D pump.
Not gonna gain much from the other 3. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Yes I swapped the pump If I remember it's 4.10? The door tag I think says it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
They do take a little bit of work, but should be worth it in the end. I will finally be installing my turbo soon and I can't wait to try it out. I know I've turned the fuel back about 1/4 turn total on my Moose Jr. and still can't get past about 2/3 of the way to the floor without getting black smoke out of the exhaust. In my opinion, n/a sucks unless you're just driving up and down the road!

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do take a little bit of work, but should be worth it in the end. I will finally be installing my turbo soon and I can't wait to try it out. I know I've turned the fuel back about 1/4 turn total on my Moose Jr. and still can't get past about 2/3 of the way to the floor without getting black smoke out of the exhaust. In my opinion, n/a sucks unless you're just driving up and down the road!

Do they make new turbos still? Or do I need to find a good used one?

shawn deere

Reaction score
How hard is that to do? What turbo would be good for it?
Check the market place on here theres some complete sets for sale Or here was at one time.

Getting all the exhaust sealed up is the worst part probably.

For a factory turbo you need air filter housing, drivers side valve cover, turbo, up pipe, cross over pipe, Y pipe, turbo pedestal, intake snail, oil feed line with pressure sender, pedistal for turbo to mount on and its the oil return. Plus gaskets for all.

Turbos are great. Pry take a weekend to install.

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the market place on here theres some complete sets for sale Or here was at one time.

Getting all the exhaust sealed up is the worst part probably.

For a factory turbo you need air filter housing, drivers side valve cover, turbo, up pipe, cross over pipe, Y pipe, turbo pedestal, intake snail, oil feed line with pressure sender, pedistal for turbo to mount on and its the oil return. Plus gaskets for all.

Turbos are great. Pry take a weekend to install.

Thanks! I guess I'll be tearing it apart to put a turbo on.

shawn deere

Reaction score
Do they make new turbos still? Or do I need to find a good used one?
Russ can rebuild a turbo with a mod that really wakes them up.

N/a - in my opinion - has more low end grunt by a little bit. But the turbo helps lower egt and has way more power. All that black smoke turns to horse power

Fordfan90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ can rebuild a turbo with a mod that really wakes them up.

N/a - in my opinion - has more low end grunt by a little bit. But the turbo helps lower egt and has way more power. All that black smoke turns to horse power

That would really help as I'm not a big fan of the black smoke. Gets all over stuff.