E4od "searching"

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to town on friday.

Noticed something strange.

Below 20mph. Still in first gear.

Get to maybe 18mph... Hold the go pedal very steady, and just barely pushed down.

Transmission does not shift gears. But it seems like the TC keeps surging and letting go.

It is NOT the trans shifting. The surge is in the TC or something similar.

It's a very noticeable difference in power. Not a shift in the gears. Kind of like, if it were a standard transmission, it would be the same effect if you were letting the clutch pedal go, then pushing it again. Stays in the same gear, just applies the power, then doesn't apply the power.

Any clues to what's up?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
You checked the fluid level to be sure it wasn't low?

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes.

Exactly where it is supposed to be.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't believe that the torque convertor is supposed to lock up until the transmission's in drive. I'm not saying that it's not the torque convertor, just that it's doing something completely different than it was designed to. Of course, if it is trying to lock and unlock, then that would explain why it's doing this. I don't think it knows how to act with the wrong electrical input signals.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I am thinking.

But I don't think it's a matter of it locking and unlocking. I think it's a matter of it slipping.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well that wouldn't be good either. i'm no expert on the subject, but I assume that if it's slipping, it should be replaced.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its very unlikely that a torque converter would slip in first, the converter will be unlocked and significantly less load on it in first because of less mechanical leverage and less drag on the truck. If you manually put it in first gear does it do the same thing? Do you have any trans codes? Maybe your mlps is out of adjustment or bad and kicking out of gear.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Good question. I will try that.

Also still have not adjusted the FIPL. (Not leaving the house much. Needing to drive anywhere at all, even less. And not wanting to use fuel unnecessarily. Until things are back to normal here.)

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that if you push the ``OFF'' button on the end of the shift lever it will not only disable OD, but also disable the torque converter lock up? If that's right, pushing the OFF button will stop this, if it's a TC problem.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another good suggestion. Thank you. Good to try everything you can think of to refine your diagnostics.

As I said, I don't think "lockup" has anything to do with it. But still good to do what you can, for diagnostics. :D

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I believe that if you push the ``OFF'' button on the end of the shift lever it will not only disable OD, but also disable the torque converter lock up? If that's right, pushing the OFF button will stop this, if it's a TC problem.
I think you're right on this one.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
(Not leaving the house much. Needing to drive anywhere at all, even less. And not wanting to use fuel unnecessarily. Until things are back to normal here.)
Are you under quarantine? Is that what you meant by things getting back to normal?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score

OD OFF will disable 4th gear only. The converter will lock up in third gear, or the RPM is over 1200.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you under quarantine? Is that what you meant by things getting back to normal?
Don't want to derail the thread. Gov has asked anyone over 60 to self isolate. That means not leaving the house. Or not leaving your property. You don't HAVE to do it. In other words you won't get arrested for going out. But it makes sense. And it could be that soon, he does more than just "request" it.

Most businesses that deal with the public are now shut down. Those that are still open are required to follow certain guidelines, etc. The state essentially IS in a quarantine right now. Any arguments are about it come down to degrees of quarantine.

Lets not carry that discussion on, here.