E pump b.s.

Who has has a mech lift pump fill the crankcase???

• Never

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • It was not catastrophic

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Lost an eng.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok who lost a mech pump diaphragm and kilt an eng. Due to oil dilution???
I am adding information to the e pump search.

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a lift pump but I know @BrianX128 had an IP seal fail and wash out his crankcase pretty good. I think he's still running that engine so it couldn't have been too bad.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep I had 2 gallons of diesel in my oil and it was so full the truck was running off of it through the valves going up hills when the mixture in the crank tilted towards the back of the engine. I even have a video of it doing it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Drained it out, replaced IP and Injectors and it's been chugging along for 25,000 miles since. Never had any issues, it used a little oil the first 3000 miles as things were probably too clean inside and it needed to "sludge" back up but it didn't hurt it. I even sent an oil sample to blackstone 2 oil changes after to see if they noticed anything and told them about it and they said it was all in spec for the engines age and mileage.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
In over a decade on this forum, I have only heard of one or two confirmed, my lift pump filled the crankcase with fuel.....

One other thing to think about, almost every carbureted gasoline engine fro. The big three for probably close to 50 years used this style of crank actuated, diaphragm pump bolted to the side of the block. Yes, I’ve had this style fail on more than one Ford gas V-8, and every time, the leaked externally. I had one bad enough it pumped almost 20 gallons out in 40-50 miles....... I have 0 fear of this style pump. There’s a whole list of things that could happen that could damage an engine. You could hit something just right an knock a hole in the pan..... it’s probably as unlikely that it would happen as the lift pump filling the engine, but I don’t see anyone armor plating their oil pan......

Could it happen yes, but I would be much more worried about blowing an oil line, or coolant line and damaging an engine than a mechanical lift pump...

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I guess it's just one of those myths that has blown out of proportion. Go on any IDI forum and it's discussed with little to no pushback. Go read reviews on new lift pumps and you'll find people saying it filled their crankcase.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one fail on my truck and fill the crankcase with diesel. Went to check the oil because it used oil and suddenly it was making oil!! Drained it, put an electric pump on and never had any problems with the motor after that. I feel like you would have to run it for awhile with high concentration of diesel to do a lot of long term damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive seen at least a dozen mech pumps fail and fill the crankcases with diesel. Ive seen two failed engines from it, not due to loss of lubrication but from the engine running away.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have seen 3 mechanical fuel pumps fail in that way, in 25 years of wrenching professionally. None were on an idi. All gas engines that would sit for months at a time and all VERY old fuel pumps. 1 engine was ruined from it, but is was pushing raw fuel out the valve cover with no indication of any oil in it. Don't know how it didn't catch fire. Was a 361 in a hay hauler truck.

I have seen 5 idis that would get fuel in the crankcase, but it was coming from the injection pump. One was driven for years like that.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing you can't do with a mechanical pump...

Bring the system up to pressure without cranking the engine over. (And over and over and ov.......)

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do that on a cummins mechanical pump.....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I was looking at the Cummins mechanical pump. It's a pretty neat design. There's a couple vids on YouTube with it broken down and showing function. Piston instead of diaphragm.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll give you that, because I don't know any better. ;)

But we aren't running cummins. I was talking about our mechanical pump. :D

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By all accounts the stock pump does the job better with less complications than anything else. It's probably worth while to put in a good one and run it. I'm pretty good about checking my oil daily, so even if there is a failure, I might catch it in time.

I'm planning to come up with some way to put an electric pump in for priming purposes. My '89 crew cab has a
Facet between the selector valve and the stock pump. That might be a good way to go.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had one fail on a 400ci gasser, it did dilute the oil, but it was so starved for fuel that it wouldn't run over idle. so it's a problem that solved itself.
it's hard to destroy an engine that wont stay running
a new pump and an oil change solved it