Dually Refresh/Reseal/Build

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score
Im still trying to learn how to post things and add pics and what not on here, but im gonna attempt t start a build thread on my truck so when/if i run into problems, maybe they will be prevented due to yalls advise before my next steps or if i have to ask for advise, everybody will know what i have havent done. And I think it will be fun to do, So...here i go.

About 3 months ago, i drove down to Senatobia MS and hauled back a 7610 Ford cab tractor for someone on a 30ft dual wheel tandem axle gooseneck trailer that weighed about 6500# they told me, and im not sure how much the tractor weighed. The way down there was early in the morning and it was cool outside and, of course, i could barely feel the empty trailer and i ran a steady 70-75 mph no problem. Once we got the tractor loaded and started heading back, it was in the upper 90's outside and no wind and was pretty hot. It didnt take but about a minute for me to realize that it was gonna be a LONG tough trip homeand i began to worry about my EGT's( pump turned up 2 flats since right after i bought the truck and no pyro... i know..shame on me) I was having to give the truck literally everything it had to keep from getting ran over or stopping traffic, and i blacked out every intersection i had to stop at.(sorry motorcycles next to me) At this point, i learned that my clutch fan doesnt work and had to run the heat(with four ppl in the truck) to keep from getting too hot. Every time I started up hill, I lost about 40mph and gained about 40 degrees. It was kinda embarrasing, because I volunteered for the job because the other option if i wouldnt pull it home, was his shortened dodge 2500 single cab shortbed 24V cummins, and i wanted to prove that i could do it(trying to show off my truck..failed..) I finally made it home with it, and decided that I had to do something to redeem myself/truck, lol. I had a turbo already, but it was sitting at the house as I waited for it to install itself i guess.

I saved up some money and sold a fourwheeler and decided I was gonna put the turbo on, get a SMF and clutch and buy new carpet and then paint the truck and then I would be happy. Right before i was about to order the paint, carpet, and clutch, I then realized that i was concerned about reliabilty when adding the turbo, because it has over 250k and i didnt want to lose a head gasket out of state somewhere next time i tried to haul something again. So I read Mels write up severally times, printed it out, and finally made myself turn the first bolt and here I am now with bolts and parts scattered everywhere. Right now my heads are at the machine shop, Im ceaning every speck of grease and oil off the block and frame that i can. Ive spent almost $70on VHT engine paint, and im trying to make it look the best that I can.

Tonight Im at work, with plenty of spare time, and i brought in my water pump, injector pump w/lines, and some pulley brackets and stuff to paint. Each night I bring all of the parts that I can sneak in here to thoroughly clean and degrease and paint.

Tomorrow, when i wake up, Im gonna try to replace front and rear main seals, and reinstall freshly painted waterpump and balancer, then I hope to paint the rest of the block. At that point I am kinda at a standstill until I get heads back. I guess I need to get the ball rolling and order the stuff to do my oil cooler while Im at this point and its so easily accesible right now, Im just running out of money FAST and still have lots of things to buy to finish.

I hope I have kinda started this out the right way for everyone to understand where I am at in this project. Thanks for reading, ill try to post some pics

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol you can't out pull the cummins they are first there but an idi will always make it. Get that pyro your crazy lol i hope you had a aftermarket water temp. but hey if he cummins boy was auto trans could have went boom!! Honestly that tractor was around 5k then you would have been almost 18k with the truck an trailer holly cow. Whoever said you didn't better think again that's a n/a Idi makin around 150hp an 260-300 ft maybe I think you did great. Fan clutch it happens pullin a load can happen to anyone bad conditions but oh we'll that's life ha. How far did you go? Also you did a good job painting all that up you will have a nice rig! Hey if you have the cash they are affordable pm typ4 for a typ4 torque cam that's will give you some good low end grunt I wouldn't put mine back together without one your all the way there now. That cam is great for pulling. Well post pics when you get your stuff back. Oh if you haven't got valve springs the comp cams 910-16 for a psd are eally nice upgrade only 84 an some change on there website.

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score

Yeah, i know his Cummins is alot more than what i got(I LOVE Cummins), but i was giving him hell the whole way about how the cummins couldnt handle it and that it was a good thing we left it at home LOL. and honestly i dont think he would have made it back without trans problems, its a typical automatic trans in a Cummins truck, never knows when its gonna act right. lol. The trip was 210 miles one way. I think the way there with empty trailer took 2 1/2- 3 hour maybe, and the way back between 4 and 5 hours probably. In all reality, If my fan was working, it wouldnt have been bad at all. On flat road i could run 70mph+ no problem, but just the slightest hill and...5th gear......4rth.......i think i can, i think i can, nope....3rd. lol. but i dont think i ever got below 40mph on the interstate on the steepest hills that i climbed. If i wasnt for the fan not working, i wouldve trusted it to (slowly)pull it across the country. This truck has been the most reliable vehicle ive ever owned, and I guess thats why we all love our trucks and why we're all here

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score
oh, and I read about Russ' cams for hours the other day and I want one, but one of my BB injectors fell all into pieces when i took it out of the head, so theres a lil more money to spend. When i took the heads to the machine shop, i took injectors with me to find somewhere to test them, but the only place was about 30 mins farther than the machine shop from my house, and it was over an hour drive there, so i decided to hold off a little while on them, but now i guess i need at least one more. One of the reasons for deciding to pull the heads was some swelled GPs of different brands that the previous owners put it. So a new set of beru's is on my have-to-buy list. I have to get some different return line caps to cross over towards the front now i guess to get away from the turbo. And then of course the gauges, wow, those are gonna cost me, but i know i gotta have em. So Im not sure how to pull off the cam thing yet, unless i just drag the project out longer until i can come up with the extra money, which it think would be worth the wait from what ive read!

Last edited:

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya my turbo idi will down shift on big hills to usally i can hold 60-65 in 4th. Oh ya an if you bounce off the gov. it really doesn't hurt much I pulled our 2 horse with my n/a e40d the other days wide open no mufflers bouncing of the gov. only thing I broke when I was finished was my ears lol I was almost def. Also you went these far an I think your doing a great job pm him for price its not that bad I would wait you are gonna use it for towing and it would help Russ runs that an a 60-1 in your turbo that can wait but his tq is like 460 somthin I think good power;Sweet

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score
Well, I got the my heads back yesterday. This morning when I got off work I started to change out my rear main with my new dealer replacement one when I realized I need to reseal the whole oil pan while Im at it cause this thing leaked from all over the place before, and I want to make SURE that I do my absolute best to prevent from any leaks after all this work. At the point that its tore down to now, ive decided to just yank the block out of truck to pull the pan and clean out any sludge and to get a visual up in at the caps/ bearings to make sure I dont see anything out of ordinary, and to ensure i can thoroughly clean the surfaces so my silicone seals good and I would really like to clean the block and oil pan really good for some new shiny paint, that hopefully wont become covered in oil for awhile. Any opinions on what color Permatex to use for best results? I think i have some red, some black, and some Ultra Blue, but Ill go to town and get whatever I need to use to do it right. Also, what do I need to put on the balancer bolt to keep it from leaking through when I put it back together? Thanks in advance for any opinions guys

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The red stuuff is good it's high temp oil res. I have read about some stuff with copper in it or a copper colored tube an heard its good.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont like the blue stuff it seems like it never drys, black should be good but if you wanna make sure it wont burn up red is good.. i use copper on the exhaust stuff and it works really well.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of Permatex Ultra Gray. guess it's just preference.
As far as pulling without a turbo, I did it for 15 years with 980k logbook miles on a '89 F450. 7.3na, ZF5, 5.13 Dana 80 rear. Only race I won consistently is getting home with no problems. the truck was towed 3 times in it's life. Once for scattering it's clutch and twice for a FSV with a bipolar disorder. I had the parts to fix the FSV but I was less than 30 mins from my shop and rather work on it there.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as pulling without a turbo, I did it for 15 years with 980k logbook miles on a '89 F450. 7.3na, ZF5, 5.13 Dana 80 rear. Only race I won consistently is getting home with no problems. the truck was towed 3 times in it's life. Once for scattering it's clutch and twice for a FSV with a bipolar disorder. I had the parts to fix the FSV but I was less than 30 mins from my shop and rather work on it there.

grays good to, i like the look of the black over the gray once installed

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response guys! I got motor mounts loose and couldnt find a chain, so I just went and got one and im about to try to yank it out. There is nothing hooked to it anymore and nothing in the way, so It should come right out. I dont have an engine stand anymore, so I guess im just gonna try to carefully work with it hanging from there cherry picker, then ease it down on some tires until Im ready to set it back it. My oil cooler is the only thing that doesnt have a leak at all. It still has factory paint all around it with no oil residue at all. I know I really need to reseal the cooler it at this point, but Im pretty much out of money, and I really wanna buy a cam from Russ. Whats yall's opinion? Should I definately do it now while its so easily accessible or do you think I would be ok to just cross my fingers and hope that it doesnt start leaking soon? I think I already know the answer to that question, and I agree completely that i should do it now.....but i REALLY want a cam:dunno and thats $310 by itself. I think I read that the oil cooler kit was around $100. Is that about right? I dont know where my closest IH dealer is, but there is a Ford dealer about 40 minutes from me, but they are probably higher than IH. I think I paid like $86 for my rear main from them, plus since it has to be paid up front, its two trips there. My daily driver Jeep wrangler gets terrible fuel mileage, so I probably have $120 in my rear seal, lol(if it dont leak, it was worth $400, lol)

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score

Wow. Thats impressive! If Im correct that FSV is fuel selector valve then I have a story about that(if not, I guess ill sound like an idiotLOL) Ive had my truck almost three years and its never gave me ANY problems on the road anywhere....until...... about 7 months ago maybe, I went to Kentucky to get the white bed thats on my truck now. The truck I got it off of was a nice 94 that had caught on fire going down the road (they didnt know why it burnt), so He was parting it out. My selector valve had a broken nipple for the rear tank so I was using only the front tank. Once I got the bed off his truck, I asked about the valve and he said just take it, so I did. About a week later, I put it on my truck and was headed home and I felt the truck kinda bog as I shifted. This immedietely alarmed me because....its never missed a beat before. I finally lost all power and smelled diesel. I pulled over on the side of the road(night time and snowing) and found that my return lines were split in several places and pouring diesel everywhere. I ended up leaving the truck there that night:mad: I came back that next day and fixed the returns, and figured the selector valve caused it, so I crawled under to study a solution and i ended up bending the lines around and putting em on the valve in reverse to back flush it and unclog and it worked. It started back up and ran OK. The next day, I had to meet some ppl that were buying my old brick nose front clip and I made it almost there and truck just suddenly died going up hill, and wouldnt start back. I found my old valve with the broken nipple, put it back on, and Ive never had a problem since. I got to thinking about it after that, and I wonder if that valve is the reason that guys truck burned? Maybe the return lines blew on him when the return stopped up and it poured diesel on his motor while he had it hot pulling a cattle trailer, and it ignited:dunno

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes i did see the copper stuff it was in Heaths build thread. I will be using that stuff on mine. If that burned down his truck an you found the problem holly cow that's insane it could have been yours. Also if he had a loose broken wire or crappy wiring from extras I would say that would have sparked it easy. Also pulling cattle trailer heavy load if it was an Idi 1000-1100 egt ya it could have freak deal but I would not let get my truck to those egt an let anyone throw diesel on them to try it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat