Dually axle for SRW?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive read somewhere that the dually axle is 4" wider than SRW. And has bigger brakes.
Cani Run a dually axle under my SRW and bolt on my regular SRW wheels to get a wider track width in the rear? Will put on flares if necessary.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not sure but what I do know is the brakes are larger on the dually. they are 3 1/3 inch wide compared to the srw size of 3 inch wide.. Really not sure the fitment with a single wheel that the fenders.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can run it, and the wheels will bolt up. The track width will be widened. The rears will be just wider than front, slightly sticking out past the fenders.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did 4.10 dually axles ever come with LSD?
Can i just buy an LSD unit and stick it into the dually axle?

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to price said units for a dana 70. And some retard on the FB club did it and is running spacers up front to get the front to match. Complete waste of a axle to some one like me who actually wants one to build a dually and has the correct front hubs.... Btw those LS/locker carriers are not cheap. It'd be cheaper to just buy different offset wheels.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont currently have a limited slip rear end, and id liek to go 4.10s to run 35s.
Either way I want the rear to be AT LEAST same width as dana 60 front, ideally a little wider.

couldnt i just rob a LS carrier from a stock sterling?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
i dont currently have a limited slip rear end, and id liek to go 4.10s to run 35s.
Either way I want the rear to be AT LEAST same width as dana 60 front, ideally a little wider.

I want to say that all Dually's came with a LSD. Or at least, I've never seen one that wasn't. If you do any sort of transplant of the internals from one differential to another, you'll need to re-shim everything and probably want to put in a new crush sleeve on the front.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score

Your beginning post about reading it somewhere was from the other thread you posted in.

The thread tells about the widths and some stuff you are looking for and you even posted on the same page as the listed info lol :dunno.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?66624-Rear-wheel-spacers/page2

Last edited:

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my search here locally every dually rear axle has been a dana 70 or better regardless of make with the exception of a couple corporate 14bolts. I've never even been able to find any info on a dually sterling axle except for adapters. I'm not trying to say they don't exist either I'm just saying I can't find squat for or on them. And with the ZF there is no need for 4.10's. In fact if you were local and had a matched pair 60/10.25 in 3.55's I'd trade you.
You'll be fine with a srw 10.25 with a LS. I'm not sure why you would want to ditch the perfectly good factory combination? Especially when they are plenty full (ie;cheap) so you should have no problem finding a 4.10LS 10.25 sterling. Do what you will, but if it were me I'd just find a sterling and take all the guess work out of it.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whoops, totaly forgot about that.

lind..if what your saying is true..thats very good news for me.

Leeland, i want to run 35s and a lift, and stil be able to tow. 3.55s aint gunna cut it lol.
I want dually axle for WIDTH, thats it. purely looks.

i have a barebones 3.55 open diff 2wd truck. Its useless, I describe it as a truck in a wheelchair with one arm turning the wheel..
also i though all our trucks, dually or not, came with a sterling 10.25?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes,the drw pickup axle is much wider than a srw axle.
yes,you can source a drw pickup with 4.10 and LS.
yes, it sports half an inch more brake pad per side than the srw axles.
no,LS didn't come standard on all drw's it was an option like on srw's.
a sterling drw pickup axle will set you back several hundred dollars,unless you source one from a private party who doesn't know what they've got.
mine set me back $750 and it required all new brakes,new u-bolts to mount it,conversion u-joints (before 3.55's didn't come in the pickup drw in 2nd gen sterling form.trust me on this one lol.) and one sides seal blew for a total pushing closer to the 1k mark.
for what your trying to do,it would be a waste imho.just get yourself a set of wheels with the offset your looking as suggested.a whole lot less $ and whole lot less work.

Attachments

• drw rear.jpg
    drw rear.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 90

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes as a matter of fact I have two LSD here at my place both 4.10:1

Yes you can buy a LSD and throw it in but gear setup and such is what is going to be the biggest issue.

Why not get a lunch box locker instead???

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can say with a certainty, because I was stuck in snow yesterday, my sterling 10.25 dually axle is NOT limited slip. I was surely spinning two rear wheels, but they were both on the same side.

To the op's question, I think you would likely be better off getting a wider track in the rear just buying wheels with a different offset than the front. Probably cheaper unless someone has given you a dually axle...