?downpipe solution ats?

rwilles

Reaction score
Well here is the finial skinny on the Banks down pipe..

Moy at Banks, 626-969-9600. Said that because of the postings on THIS (Go Oilburners!) network they have sold a bunch of these pipes over the last few months and now keeping an in stock, no waiting, supply. Again the part number is 52103. Mine was $109 including shipping. Its due to be delivered on Friday!

I also referred him back to this site to see the new development that is taking place with the Moose Injectors and Pump and power curves that compete with the PS. I added that I'd purchased the 94 Tidi instead of the Powerstroke because of the expense associated with fixing anything had a $3000 price tag, minimum and i had more to spend on making the Tidi run right.

Moy said the were surprised at how well that old part was moving with our interest and said they were intrigued and would take a look at the old ATS kit (he was forwarding all info to product development) and see if they could come up with something soon.

Wouldn't it be weird for Banks to come to market with the upgrade ATS can't figure out how to make in a year? BTW, Mark, at ATS, hemmed and hawed about time frame but it was 'going to be months not weeks' before the down pipe or 3 part kit was finished!? I hope that Banks beats them to market! My mind is made up about who gets my business. Speaking to ATS and then Banks was like night and Day in the response department! My favorite President said 'trust but verify' so lets see who brings the pretty girl to the dance!

Thanks to all for the help and opinions.... I wonder what's possible if there's a clean sheet of paper. It sounds like the Moose Injectors and Pump need even more air, so is a turbo system to match up with the killer fuel system something that's possible? Sounds like Banks might be interested in being involved!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
that is great, thanks for following up, maybe we will see something!

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm. My experience with ATS and Banks is just the opposite. I have two Banks systems and one Ford/ATS system and have bought various parts for them all on several occasions.
On two out of three occasions Banks didn't seem to be interested in my business because, as they stated both times, I didn't buy the complete system from them originally. I had the part numbers in hand from their own original literature, but they had changed so they had to do a little work to decode the old numbers. I was able to get the parts I needed but it seemed like it was just a bother to them.
Alternately ATS (Bernie @ 866-209-3695 x109) was very responsive on all three or four occasions when I needed replacement or upgrade parts. As far as the design of the Outlet housing to Downpipe goes, I agree that the slip fit joint between the upgrade O/H and the 3" DP is a bit sloppy but I believe slip fits seem to be the norm in turbocharger plumbing to compensate for thermal expansion. I also had to make my own "Twisted Metal" tie bar bracket to secure the Downpipe to the Exhaust Manifold Stud. That I agree, was cheesy and I told them so.
I wish I had bought the upgraded Turbine Housing from them at the same time as I feel that the 0.7 A/R of the Factory Ford/ATS Turbo is a bit small, but I don't have enough experience with turbo charging to consider my opinion more valid than a "real" engineer.
Opinion mode on...
I guess we all have different experiences depending on our expectations and our attitudes. It's a shame we can't always modulate the person on the other side of the phone, but that seems to be par in a world where profit comes before service. It might just be a lesson to remember when you do your dealings with your customers.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
This weekend I'll be installing the banks 2.5" downpipe coupled to a 3.5" exhaust with a aero turbine muffler and a 4" tailpipe. ;Sweet I'll also be installing the Hypermax Cowl Induction system as well. :D

Will post results back later this weekend or Monday....

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ and towcat. If there is an interst in casting a new elbow I run around with a guy who makes molds and core boxes for casting. Has a complete shop and has been doing it his whole life (family business Quality Patternworks). You may have a source already and I fully understand but if help is needed here I would be happy to help get this part of it done.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will definately keep that in mind, the machining will be the tricky part.

rwilles

Reaction score
Cackler: I'm not voting to either one. I'm just tired of waiting and will purchase the best solution that's available. It is a little disingenuous for Ats to just say 'it'll be 3 months' for over a year now.

Tomcat: is the sample ebow from the upgrade of your turbo housing? My understanding of the 'backordered' Ats kit includes: 1) improved outflow turbo housing that changes the size from 2 3/8 to 3 inches. 2) 3 inch elbow 3) 3" down pipe. I am only ordering the banks part as a stop gap until either company comes up with the parts.

Dirtleg, could your friend work on some version of all 3 parts? If Ats or Banks will be trying to get a casting company to make the parts, maybe your friend could bypass Banks or Ats and sell it strait to us. We apparently are the market. The price on the Ats web-site is about $500 for 3 feet of iron and steel.

Those of you who have been privileged to receive the kit, could the elbow be designed into a 2 part downpipe? Something like the powerstroke down pipe that is in the photos of the welded 3 inch pipe earlier in this log.

Thanks to all for the ability and resources! You're making it possible for my 16 year old truck to sing!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rwilles-
yes I have an extra ATS aftermarket outlet.
NO IT IS NOT FOR SALE.
yes, I will loan it out so it can get copied(as long as I get it back)
no, I will not loan it out to just anybody.
yes, it will prolly cost more than what ATS would cost at ATS if they had it.

for those ******** about the sloppy fit between the downpipe and the outlet, it's time for you to make a trip to a local exhaust shop and have them expand the downpipe just a hair.:D;Sweet

rwilles

Reaction score
Towcat- sorry about the misspelling.. this virtual keyboard is so smart it tells me what I really mean to type.. am I correct in there being 3 parts? Is the elbow what makes the turbo housing upgrade? I think my first pinch point is the turbo housing or is it the elbow? If I get the turbo gets opened up, everything after that can be fabed in 3 inch mandrel bend pipe from a parts store!

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rwilles my friend would not actually do the casting. That is the work of a foundry. He could make the mold pattern and the box to form the molds in. If , and there are alot of ifs', there were enough reason to do this we, as a group could make it happen. I could offset some of the pattern and mold expense due to being a friend but he couldn't, nor would I ask him to, be responsible for production of a "kit" so to speak.

Realistically we have a T3 internally wastegated turbine and exhaust housing. I would rather work out a T4 turbine housing with a 3" flanged outlet, downpipe and an uppipe with an external wastegate. But I am overcomplicating a good, simple idea. A better flowing elbow and downpipe are enough for what most of us could conceivably need.

Good ideas in this thread. I enjoy how this community is always sharing ideas to improve things. Probabaly the best would be the Banks making a better part solution but in the absence of any action from a manufacturer we always have the option to do it ourselves.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online