?downpipe solution ats?

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I know a good machinist, that would cut us a deal. However unless this starts to look serious I am going to get the banks down pipe to "bridge the gap" until a better solution pops up, or I just drop a cummins in it!

PZ

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will take a while to mock up, do mods, guage actual interest and go from there.

rwilles

Reaction score
Pt and t4, My turbo is the stock Ford ATS setup that other posts have described as a under 2.5 inch (seen both 2 1/4 and 2 3/8) outflow. The elbow that we are talking about is a 3 inch in and 3inch out, correct? i don't think i'll be able to use the part unless my housing is upgraded as in the ATS kit. I think i'll contact Garrett tomorrow and find out the truth of the 3 inch outflow on our turbine housings. Is a turbo upgrade the only other solution to this problem?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the exhaust housing will bolt up to yours, it is a flat surface, no registers. I have fabbed up some non squished pipes for the stock setups and they make a huge difference, 2.5 or 3 inch, didnt seem to matter.

colombo94

Reaction score
hey quick brain storm. could you cut the exhaust housing up to were it would get rid of the 2.25 restriction and you could just weld a little more pipe on to your dp to meet back up with the houusing? thinking of a simple fix for a common problem. may be way out there but it could also work. the factory dp to housing never had a good seal any ways. like i said just a shot in the dark.

rwilles

Reaction score
its the second Friday past my order and I'm still waiting for a part from Banks...

The housing is available through Garrett. ATS was ordering 800 to get a price break.. no prices yet from them..

it seems that ABull's thread on a very cheap turbo system might prevent us from having to get ($proprietary$) parts from Garrett. Sounds like we could get a whole system for less than ATS was charging for just the housing/elbow/downpipe.

Colombo94.. Don't know how that would work the part is cast iron and the hottest temperature part for the exhaust. you'd be messing with the flow and could easily hurt as much as you help.

I'm definitely looking for the most flow i can get on a respectable budget... off to watch ABull in the china shop!

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Modifying the exhaust housing would be a bad idea. You could easily mess with the fluid dynamics of the turbo, and make your self a expansive paper weight.

I would not hold your breath for a kit that is cheaper than the ATS kit. In that thread they have simply decided that there are other good turbos for these engines. They still have to figure out how to mount it, and how to get the exhaust to it, and how to get the boost to the intake. And even at that its all words, and no proof.

Don't get me wrong, I am stoked about what is going on in the oil burners turbo thread too, but I am still going to hook up my factory set up, because any real proof is still a ways off.

PZ

colombo94

Reaction score
making one out of steel or stainless? have a really good buddy with a high tech machine shop. or just buy a banks d.p. for now and hope for some one to sell a 3 in. outlet again.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's too bad that you can't easily add an external wastegate to one of those systems in a good location, a standard T3 exhaust flange is pretty much dirt cheap(sub $20,) and can be had with a v-band flange. Would be pretty easy to make a new DP out of 3" and run pipe right to the turbo, and a V-band is much better than any slip fit setup.
You could go this route also, but, I don't know if space would allow it to be useable: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GARR...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5636737114

colombo94

Reaction score
some one said they had a ats exhaust housing. if some one had some good pics at what the internals looked like. i use my truck every day for work and dont feel like pullin my turbo off just to look at it if some one else has the part all ready off so i can look at it.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
I already have mine off, and I have already looked at how to modify the stock one. Will have the modifications complete tomorrow. will take before and after shots.

oreocreaming

Reaction score
tell ya what, if anyone wants to sell me their "junk" ats 3" elbow and dp im willing to buy. im not worried about all the stories. i can figure something out to make it work. pm me if you wanna sell

oreocreaming

Reaction score
It's too bad that you can't easily add an external wastegate to one of those systems in a good location, a standard T3 exhaust flange is pretty much dirt cheap(sub $20,) and can be had with a v-band flange. Would be pretty easy to make a new DP out of 3" and run pipe right to the turbo, and a V-band is much better than any slip fit setup.
You could go this route also, but, I don't know if space would allow it to be useable: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GARR...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5636737114

a dp is no big deal since the obs psd already is set up for that type of flange, the issue is the 5 bolts that hold it to the turbo are specifically designed for ats. no standard 5 bolt flange will work on it without having to modify/add metal to it.

Dave Sponaugle

Reaction score
Not sure if I can link photos from FTE to here, but here we go since they are the only pics I have hosted on the web..

You must be registered for see images

Stock Ford right, ATS left

Stock Ford Downpipe right, ATS left

I also think you will find the T3 exhaust housings will not work because the bolt pattern is different and the wastegate would create a problem.

No internal waste gate to block the exhaust flow through the port = no boost at all.

Back of stock Ford turbo outlet flange.

That picture also shows why you can't just have the housing milled out to take a larger down pipe.

I guess you could change the exhaust side turbine housing and use the Garrett waste gate housing in Oreo's link, then install a 94 to 97 3" Stroke downpipe.

Oreo and several other people and I have been over this forward and backward several times over on FTE.
However I will admit I never thought about changing the exhaust turbine housing till I just made this post.

ATS changed the housing and outlet flange just enough that you can't go anywhere else for parts.
And unfortunately Ford used the ATS style turbo.

Last edited:

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mentioned changing the turbine housing a while ago but some once shot it down then I said you could get around that by changing the center section and the same person told me that wouldn't work But I think they were full of it as I've said befor the production cost whould have been astronomicle if ATS had had garret change the centersection.

I think its funny on FTE everyone wants that "horrible slip coupler down pipe" and no one thats has it complains about it hear 3 people wan't them and eveyone with them complains tell you what if you hate that thing so much I'll trade you my stock one with its supirior band clamp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online