?downpipe solution ats?

rwilles

Reaction score
Have been working on my 94 factory ATS since last fall. I have replaced: 1) all rocker arms (4 were worn significantly at the post) great deal from NAPA, 2) injectors fuel return system (some are from a cheap plastic that allows Iair leak when hot) 3) injectors (bought from a guy that resold Pensacola diesel, ordered on line while I was standing there!) 4) Pensacola diesel IP (won't pay extra twice).

I just took the truck on a 6k mile road trip and every thing worked great. I have some questions on next steps as parts are getting harder to come by. 1) the red line on my factory tach is 3700 with a yellow zone starting at 3200. Both the old and new IP's cut out at 3200. Is there anything to be gained by adjusting the spring on the bottom of the IP to raise the governor speed? it would require reinstalling the IP,so is there enough gain for 8 hours work? (i know I'm slow).
2) I have been on the waiting list at ATS for the new casting and downpipe since last September. It sounds like they are committed to continuing to support our 'old truck obsession', but Garret wanted them to order 800 castings. So they have gone through a full redesign to get free of the giant lot size. All that to say what can I do as a temporary measure as my down pipe has a chunk out of at the turbo inlet and high temp silicone only lasts about 2,000 miles. I want to do the full upgrade when ats gets it done but right now need to tow a full 5th wheel trailer and the floor mat melts when I pull my little bumper trailer! Banks no longer makes their factory down pipe and the muffler shop that are the mustang freaks here in COS wanted an about the same as ATS system for a downpipe that "might not fit". Any ideas?

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Seems you have better luck with ATS than most. I got told to get a newer truck, or take a hike... and I was standing in there lobby when they said it, not over the phone...

PZ

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Have been working on my 94 factory ATS since last fall. I have replaced: 1) all rocker arms (4 were worn significantly at the post) great deal from NAPA, 2) injectors fuel return system (some are from a cheap plastic that allows Iair leak when hot) 3) injectors (bought from a guy that resold Pensacola diesel, ordered on line while I was standing there!) 4) Pensacola diesel IP (won't pay extra twice).

I just took the truck on a 6k mile road trip and every thing worked great. I have some questions on next steps as parts are getting harder to come by. 1) the red line on my factory tach is 3700 with a yellow zone starting at 3200. Both the old and new IP's cut out at 3200. Is there anything to be gained by adjusting the spring on the bottom of the IP to raise the governor speed? it would require reinstalling the IP,so is there enough gain for 8 hours work? (i know I'm slow).
2) I have been on the waiting list at ATS for the new casting and downpipe since last September. It sounds like they are committed to continuing to support our 'old truck obsession', but Garret wanted them to order 800 castings. So they have gone through a full redesign to get free of the giant lot size. All that to say what can I do as a temporary measure as my down pipe has a chunk out of at the turbo inlet and high temp silicone only lasts about 2,000 miles. I want to do the full upgrade when ats gets it done but right now need to tow a full 5th wheel trailer and the floor mat melts when I pull my little bumper trailer! Banks no longer makes their factory down pipe and the muffler shop that are the mustang freaks here in COS wanted an about the same as ATS system for a downpipe that "might not fit". Any ideas?

First of all I wouldn't count on getting that 3" upgraded elbow outlet anytime in the near future from ATS. Everything from the Outlet, downpipe and turbo back exhaust system is on backorder with no ETA on a ship date or delivery. As a matter of fact, I was told 2 weeks ago that the 3" outlet/elbow is still at least 3 months away from being produced and available to the general public. I also have not heard many good comments on the slip fit set up where the downpipe and elbow connect. Several members on the forum said they are nothing but problems and they just end up leaking at the downpipe and outlet. There are some folks on this forum who have taken the stock 2.25" outlet and modified it to accept a 3" outlet by means of welding and fabricating their own set up.

I had every intention of doing the full ATS exhaust from the 3" elbow, downpipe and turbo back exhaust until I found out it would take an act of God to get the parts from ATS. I have heard some good coments about the ATS 3" set up but have equally heard the same amount of negative comments about them.

Bottom line is I have decided to go a different route. I ordered the 2.5 inch downpipe from Banks that bolts directly up to the Ford factory turbo (ATS) with the stock V Band clamp and is not a slip fit. Because the Banks downpipe is 2.5" instead of 3" no firewall mods are necessary. I realize I may loose a little HP/EGT's due to the 2.5" Banks downpipe as oppossed to the 3" ATS but I don't see the difference being anything major. Any type of round downpipe is going to be better then the stock smashed flat POS factory downpipe. I am having a buddy who owns a muffler shop fab the 3.5" exhaust from the downpipe on out the back.

BTW........... If you have the stock Ford factory turbo (ATS) that came on the IDI, then "yes" Banks does still make the 2.5" downpipe that bolts directly too the stock 2.25" outlet/elbow on the stock factory turbo. My Banks downpipe will be here Tuesday. Banks usually makes these downpipes at about 5-10 at a time, just enough to keep up with demand. They have to re-tool to make these downpipes so they may or may not have one in stock if you order one but they can usually produce 5-10 within a week. The cost was $111.00 shipped to New Mexico. If you need a contact at Banks and a part number let me know and I'll dig it up for you.

If you call Banks and don't have the part number for the downpipe they will more then likely tell you they don't have one or they are discontinued. This has happened to other forum members that have tried to order them

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do not waste your time or money on ATS junk!!!!!! i wasted my money on thier crap.ya lets slip a pipe into the elbow and hope it dont leak and use a cheesey bracket that doesnt even fit to hold the pipe in place then lets butt 2 pipes together and use a band clamp to hope it dont leak.ya real bright idea they had on that,bunch of idiots that designed that hacked mess they call an upgrade!!i wouldnt buy a bolt from them clowns!!!! :mad::mad::mad: my truck had exhaust leaks from the utletlet housing and the 2 pipes butted together,sounds real good pulling into a customers yard to tow thier car or when trying to repo/tresspass tow a car.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

this is what im gonna do to mine http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38465

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on not dealing with ats. I got the upgraded elbow and downpipe and mine would not even fit together. I put a mic on the 3" downpipe and measured the id of the elbow and the elbow id was actually smaller than the od of the downpipe. PITA Not to mention I had to wait several weeks just to get them to ship the parts then wait on them to arrive. Just use a stock elbow and make your own 3" downpipe.

rwilles

Reaction score
Thanks for the info DieselMax. ATS has been saying "3 months" since last fall but the last conversation I had with them, I spoke to the IDI dude (used to be Eric) and asked them if the were lying. the guy came back with the Garret story and that there was a production schedule, but he could only say soon. That was a week before your call to them. Where did you order the Banks downpipe from? It's not posted on their site. I would spend $100 no question tomorrow. The new parts from Ats sound promising. New tech that fits my old turbo. Ahhhh....... the curse (and blessing) of being a guinea pig!
94f450... from what Ats has said quality control was one of the big problems in the small lot orders they were making from Garrett. Have you asked them to make their part good? I know its a pain while we are waiting... maybe you were the real guinea pig!
PZ... my pump was advanced a little too far on this trip but I was able to go trouble free the whole way. A newer truck? The stoplights told the story as newer trucks were left in a cloud of black smoke from here to the tip of Florida. Mileage at 75 was 14. Would run at 83 all day and still got 12 mpg. I think I will be looking for a gear splitter because rpms were close to 3000.

Slade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been running the slip fit 3" down pipe for 5 years without any trouble?

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Thanks for the info DieselMax. ATS has been saying "3 months" since last fall but the last conversation I had with them, I spoke to the IDI dude (used to be Eric) and asked them if the were lying. the guy came back with the Garret story and that there was a production schedule, but he could only say soon. That was a week before your call to them. Where did you order the Banks downpipe from? It's not posted on their site. I would spend $100 no question tomorrow. The new parts from Ats sound promising. New tech that fits my old turbo. Ahhhh....... the curse (and blessing) of being a guinea pig!
94f450... from what Ats has said quality control was one of the big problems in the small lot orders they were making from Garrett. Have you asked them to make their part good? I know its a pain while we are waiting... maybe you were the real guinea pig!
PZ... my pump was advanced a little too far on this trip but I was able to go trouble free the whole way. A newer truck? The stoplights told the story as newer trucks were left in a cloud of black smoke from here to the tip of Florida. Mileage at 75 was 14. Would run at 83 all day and still got 12 mpg. I think I will be looking for a gear splitter because rpms were close to 3000.

Contact Rick or Morey at Banks directly at 626-969-9600. The part number you need is 52103.

Click the link below and you will see some input of forum members that have used the Banks downpipe.........

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38765&highlight=banks+downpipe

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no leaks with my ats setup, but it was a complete kit.. They have never had garrett make the elbows and that is now why the lead and amount of time is so great. I am going to talk to my buddy who has an aluminum caster connection and see who does cast iron. It has to have a high nickel content to hold up to the heat.

I bet they never will order 800 elbows.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i was told to run it and the soot would seal it and that i was on my own if it didnt.@#$% ats and all thier junk products.i wouldnt recomend them to my worst freakin enemy.800 dollars worth of junk!!!!!!!the tail pipe didnt even fit.it rubbed on my rear fuel tank,frame and springs.they told me the tailpipe would fit a cab/chassis.

im gonna do what the guy in the link i posted did and run the PSD 4" system on the 94 i have now

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you are going to start believing the stories that ATS is spewing out, I had better get into the bridge and swamp land real estate business fast because I want your business LOL

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are going to start believing the stories that ATS is spewing out, I had better get into the bridge and swamp land real estate business fast because I want your business LOL

can i be your bussines partner?:rotflmao

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no leaks with my ats setup, but it was a complete kit.. They have never had garrett make the elbows and that is now why the lead and amount of time is so great. I am going to talk to my buddy who has an aluminum caster connection and see who does cast iron. It has to have a high nickel content to hold up to the heat.

I bet they never will order 800 elbows.
russ-
i have a factory elbow I can offer to use as a casting copy.

1994IDI

Reaction score
Same experience here with ATS. Bad quality and customer service. I have the outlet and downpipe and had the leaking problem also. Wasted a lot of time trying different solutions until finally getting the leak to quit.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
russ-
i have a factory elbow I can offer to use as a casting copy.

I bet if ya'll went to make a copy you guys could put your heads together and make a few improvements and refinements before sending that off for duplication ;Sweet