Dodge Transfer Case Snap Ring

EdK

Reaction score
I've picked up a "click" sound in the rear of the transfer case of my '99 Dodge Ram 4X4 with five speed . It's got the 241HD case and I hear the clicking sound under the truck when turning the drive shaft by hand. Any good tips getting the tail housing "hidden" snap ring off (accessed through hole in top of casting)? This is something I should check out, but I've read other posts of trouble with that **#^^%&* snap ring.

Thanks

Ed

2500cummins

Reaction score
All the failures I've heard about have been on non HD cases, it may not be an issue on the HD case.
You could probably bend the ends on a set of duckbill snap ring pliers to remove the housing, but getting it back on would be a real pain. You need to hold the output shaft and bearing back while you set the snap ring, usually with a scewdriver through the hole.
If the snap ring is loose the output shaft will move forward out of the oil pump and will have quite a bit of endplay, you may be able to remove the driveshaft and use a large pair of pliers to pull on the output shaft and see if its moved forward

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just pull the t-case...it only takes about 15 minutes to do. than everythings right out there in the open where you can inspect it a little better if need be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online