Project Baby Blue

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I would like to keep better track of my truck build, so I figured it's about time I make a thread on it. Here's the history.....
I bought baby blue down in D.C for $1700 with 206k on the clock. She's an 87' 6.9 idi t19 4 speed 4x4.

I got the zf5 in tonight, as well as the transfer case and cross member from the t19. I also completed my floorboard repair that I never finished. Cab corner is fixed too. Rear fuel tank was replaced and rear half of truck has been primed and bedlined while the bed is off. I am running a Holley red with golden rod water separator and manual zd9s. I picked up a flatbed for it, but I may hold off on that, since I really need my truck back on the road this week. I still need to drill 2 holes for the cross member, install u joints/drive shafts, master and slave cylinder, then interior and shifters, but I should be getting the mechanical side of things wrapped up this week. I've got some big plans for it soon, including more body work, but it's definitely turning into a frame off restoration the farther I get into it,lol. That ain't so bad really

Rock
You must be registered for see images attach

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking truck.
I see you removed the tar pad off the floor. Did you have rust from the top side from slushy snow and salt over the years? Or rusted from the bottom side?

I gutted the interior of my 85 Super Cab, then removed the Tar Pads in the foot wells and under the seat. Scrubbed the cab with soap and water, then wiped it down with wax and grease remover.
Bought 2 boxes of Dynamat Extreme, and did the whole interior. When you put that stuff down on the floor and roll it in, no way water can get under it. Pricey stuff, but worth it.

Imagine getting mugged by Nancy Pelosi, and
Maxine Waters. :puke:

Goat

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Nice looking truck.
I see you removed the tar pad off the floor. Did you have rust from the top side from slushy snow and salt over the years? Or rusted from the bottom side?
It rusted through both the top and bottom panels. I believe it was mostly coming through from the top, but the moisture got trapped under the tar padding. This is everything I had to cut out. I didn't cut out the bottom panel in the picture yet, it's done now of course.

I gutted the interior of my 85 Super Cab, then removed the Tar Pads in the foot wells and under the seat. Scrubbed the cab with soap and water, then wiped it down with wax and grease remover.
Bought 2 boxes of Dynamat Extreme, and did the whole interior. When you put that stuff down on the floor and roll it in, no way water can get under it. Pricey stuff, but worth it.
I am considering dynamat, but I won't be putting any insulation down for the time being, since some of my future plans involve pulling the cab, so I will do it then.
Imagine getting mugged by Nancy Pelosi, and
Maxine Waters. :puke:

Goat
Do I have to?.............
..... that ain't something I want to think about..lol

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Alrighty, update........
Tuesday I got the driveshafts and new ujoints in, and pre bled the new clutch hydraulics.
Wednesday, installed the hydraulics and interior.
Thursday, played around with the clutch for awhile until I realized excessive wear on the clutch pedal is not air in the lines, lol
Today, got the bed and bumper on, did some wiring, and changed the atf.

BTW, atf should not be grey.
I spent a few minutes trying to figure out how to get the atf in the side fill hole, since my atf funnel was too big. I have a few e pumps sitting around from past idis, so I hooked one up to a battery and it worked like a dream. Very quick as well.

I took it down the road and couldn't be happier. Shifts super smooth, and I like the gear spreads. To anyone on the fence about a zf5 swap, let your neighbor push you off the fence it is well worth it.

The truck is back to being my daily, I just have to take care of the clutch play, 4x4 linkage needs a bushing, and then I need to figure on something for exhaust, because running open headers ( I cut off exhaust) is crazy loud

Rock

77 F-250

Reaction score
When you push the clutch does the steering wheel move? If so fire wall is rotten, pull the dash.
If not look at clutch shaft that goes through the aluminum support bracket. You'll know if the aluminum bracket is bad.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
When you push the clutch does the steering wheel move? If so fire wall is rotten, pull the dash.
If not look at clutch shaft that goes through the aluminum support bracket. You'll know if the aluminum bracket is bad.
The firewall doesn't seem to flex at all. The pedal bushing was missing a almost completely egged through the master pushrod, and was causing a lot of free play

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Good job on the restoration. Here is my Midnight Blue project-
Thanks, I still have a long way to go, but I sure hope it turns out as good as your truck. That's a fine looking idi!
My truck really lacks in the cosmetic department,lol.

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Mine is lacking there as well. That's ok though. I can't see much of the paint while I'm driving anyway. When I'm driving it, I know that I'm cool because I am driving MY truck, not someone else's.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I've been daily driving the truck for a week now and it has proven itself good :Thumbs Up .
I only put 260 miles on it in the week, but around here that's a lot,lol.I am very happy with the zf5 and the truck overall. I am hoping to get the gooseneck hitch and flatbed on soon, bed have to figure out what I'm doing for paint at some point while the bed is off.

Rock

Attachments

• IMG_20211110_123836.jpg
    IMG_20211110_123836.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20211110_072536.jpg
    IMG_20211110_072536.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20211108_075945.jpg
    IMG_20211108_075945.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 8

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
So, for those who think that IDIs chewing through shell rotella oil is a myth....... It ain't.
She went through 4 quarts of rotella within 400 miles, and it's not really leaking anywhere. Back when I had my international, just puttin around hauling hay it went through 2 quarts of rotella in like 150 miles or so. I dropped the oil and filter out of this truck and switched to Valvoline last night. I also dropped the atf out of the zf5 again and put in synthetic Valvoline ATF. I may try redline at some point, but it shifts way better than it did, and now it actually downshifts into 2nd like it should and shifts much better cold. I was having a little trouble shifting it when cold before, but it's better now. I also got around to fixing the clutch pedal linkage for good. I was going to do the heim joint, but I really didn't want to pull the master cylinder push rod again.
After spending 3 hours of quality time with a few pry bars and channels locks to remove the linkage arm, I finally got it off. I ground off the weld on the old pin and punched it out, leaving a perfect 3/8 drilled hole. I put a 3/8 grade 5 bolt in place of the pin then welded the head of the bolt to the arm. Luckily I had one 3/8 ID by 1/2 OD steel bushing that worked just right after being cut down a bit. Got it all reinstalled with a lock washer and double nutted the pushrod on. Once I got the stupid little arm out, it only took like 15 minutes to get this done and back in......
Now.....the pedal actually comes all the way back up on its own! Clutch feels a lot better now.
BTW.... Those little plastic bushings that come factory are complete junk. I had put a new one in last week just until I could fix it right, and it was already worn thin. Steel bushing should do a lot better, and can easily be found at a hardware store.

Rock

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online