Diego Revisited

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a fine repair from majestic NW Florida

I tried to 'repair' a tailpipe on my Ranger ...oh...probably last year...by patching it with scrap exhaust tubing metal...the tailpipe was a craigslist find from over ten years ago...but I am hardheaded like that...

the repair went just fine...it did not leak where I patched it...but...two or three days later the exhaust found another place to blow out...the back of the muffler...

I fimally broke down and replaced the muffler and tailpipe and hangers...from rock auto parts stuff...

Took me less time to swap it out than the original patch...but at least I got some more experience welding overhead and with a mirror...

I had carried that broke tailpipe in the bed for years...until I tried to put it back on...in Virginia...it will pass inspection...as long as the exhaust exits past the cab...so I rode it out until I got tired of working around that wiggly tailpipe in the bed...

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried in vain to fix something that deep down I knew wasn't broken...

Diego's had classic air intrusion since I swapped out the sending unit. No issues going down the road, only after sitting for a while. Return lines are isolated from the filter head so if it's drainback it has to be after the filter because it's not giving any problems after running the air out right?

Pulled the filter head to change the fuel heater o ring and found someone else's mistake

You must be registered for see images attach

Cleaned it up with a file and with a new o-ring on the fuel heater and a new filter she's back on.

Might as well change the olives....

Not too bad but maybe?

Nope. Got it all back together and bled and after idling about 10min she's spitting again.

I was pretty sure it was the quick disconnect. Just didn't want to deal with that! Oh well, it is what it is!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried in vain to fix something that deep down I knew wasn't broken...

Diego's had classic air intrusion since I swapped out the sending unit. No issues going down the road, only after sitting for a while. Return lines are isolated from the filter head so if it's drainback it has to be after the filter because it's not giving any problems after running the air out right?

Pulled the filter head to change the fuel heater o ring and found someone else's mistake

Cleaned it up with a file and with a new o-ring on the fuel heater and a new filter she's back on.

Might as well change the olives....

Not too bad but maybe?

Nope. Got it all back together and bled and after idling about 10min she's spitting again.

I was pretty sure it was the quick disconnect. Just didn't want to deal with that! Oh well, it is what it is!
It could be the check valve in the fuel pump if you're still mechanical pumping. And hey, @Cant Write notice the hand model that @chillman88 uses, he's much more believable than your hand model.

And since you're "revisiting Diego" , are you reconcidering your beverage securing devices?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be the check valve in the fuel pump if you're still mechanical pumping.

I don't think that's very likely with the return lines isolated. The biggest issue is that it's surging after bleeding now. I'll see what it does tomorrow morning but I'm pretty sure it will be exactly as it was before. I'm pretty sure it's letting air in at the tank. I just don't want to deal with it so I was being optimistic....

And since you're "revisiting Diego" , are you reconcidering your beverage securing devices?

You're relentless LOL

I may eventually, won't be soon though. The stock beverage retention devices are sufficient for the time being.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's very likely with the return lines isolated. The biggest issue is that it's surging after bleeding now. I'll see what it does tomorrow morning but I'm pretty sure it will be exactly as it was before. I'm pretty sure it's letting air in at the tank. I just don't want to deal with it so I was being optimistic....

You're relentless LOL

I may eventually, won't be soon though. The stock beverage retention devices are sufficient for the time being.
I tell you, if you can get fuel or anything other than air into these engines they'll just run and run.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well yeah, but that was an accident. If I was TRYING to hit him, I'd have missed for sure!!!

Maybe next time I SHOULD try? :confused:
I know you said this a while back but I actually DO try to hit them with my Dodge, as it has a Ranch Hand front bumper replacement. Maybe now that you have a big bad brush guard you too can grin evilly whilst creating road kill… can always cut it up if not destroyed too bad… sometimes you hafta take one for the team, beat em back lol

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya know... sometimes a cheap easy fix can be more annoying than a complicated repair. Especially when you think it's going to be worse than it is.....

I started to pull the bed before I realized you can feed the fuel lines down the other side of the tank so you can actually work on them (which I only realized because one of the bolts was just spinning). Now I feel stupid LOL

Time will tell if that fixed it but it's idling smooth so :dunno

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya know... sometimes a cheap easy fix can be more annoying than a complicated repair. Especially when you think it's going to be worse than it is.....

I started to pull the bed before I realized you can feed the fuel lines down the other side of the tank so you can actually work on them (which I only realized because one of the bolts was just spinning). Now I feel stupid LOL

Time will tell if that fixed it but it's idling smooth so :dunno
But this is why you revisit Diego from time to time.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fired right up this morning and ran fine to town and back. I think I can see where the o-rings were torn a little bit so I feel confident that was the problem. I'm hoping to take it on a trip tomorrow so I guess we'll find out!

I'm not at all upset about the time spent replacing the olives and fuel heater o ring because I know they're done now and shouldn't be a problem for a long time, plus it was overdue for a new fuel filter. I haven't replaced it since I bought the truck.

I also removed the catch can I had installed. It was catching a bunch of oil but the hose I had used weren't oil rated and they were weeping all over everything. I put some T bolt clamps on the CDR hose when I put it back together so hopefully that connection will stop leaking now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin

Staff online

Members online