Diego Revisited

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I got this truck there was a box in the back seat with a new positive battery cable and a newer but slightly used looking block heater cord. Part of the motivation behind getting the cables finished on Tank was to be able to put the new cable on this truck where it was supposed to go in the first place.

The original plan was to just swap it quick since I still don't have an alternator...... -cuss

Nothing fancy, I wasn't even going to clean stuff up, just swap it out and be done with it. But then I took the wires off the starter solenoid and couldn't just slap it back together.

You must be registered for see images attach

So I cleaned that all up and gooped it with the Kopr-Shield before putting it back together.

I'm pretty sure this was the factory battery cable from 1990 judging by the tang and the rubber strain relief elbow. Plus the fabric tape around the little tabs that bolt it to the core support.

It was very overdue for replacement!

The block heater cord wasn't much better. It was bad enough that I didn't like using it.

I really need to address the ground cables. This truck doesn't get the fancy love that Tank does, but I'll have to deal with them before too long. Hopefully before snow flies.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Except.... It's NOT the correct part.

This is the smaller 60 or 70 or whatever amperage alternator. The 130amp alternator has two vent holes here and is PHYSICALLY LARGER.

As you can see, both are clearly labeled as 334-22
So this means that I'd better check my AC Delco alternator
I did finally remember to check my alternator today. It's supposed to be for a Taurus, what year/engine I don't remember. It does only have the two large holes, but it's physically smaller. The best that I could measure says that the alternator on my truck is about 8 1/2" between the bolt holes. The AC Delco is about 7" between the holes so it probably won't work either.

Attachments

• 102_4137.JPG
    102_4137.JPG
    336.3 KB · Views: 5

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best that I could measure says that the alternator on my truck is about 8 1/2" between the bolt holes. The AC Delco is about 7" between the holes so it probably won't work either.

You might be able to use it. I'm pretty sure that's the same one I have on Tank right now, if I remember correctly I had to buy the ambulance package belt. I don't think I had a vacuum pump at that point so I couldn't tell you what belt you'd need for that.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welp... Third time isn't the charm after all.

My only guess is the very first alternator they sent me a year ago was wrong but happened to be the exact one I needed? Seems a bit unlikely but that's what it's looking like. I may bug my friend at the local parts store to see what they might have in stock to measure it but this one is going back. The "old" one and the "older" one will both be going to the local rebuilder if Powermaster doesn't have what I'm looking for.

When I was talking with Powermaster it was looking like they only have the 7" spacing mounts, the one I need is 8.25"ish. I'm going to email them tonight and see what they say tomorrow. I could use the smaller one if I had to but I'd rather not try to figure out what belt I'll need. I'm tired of fighting with this mess. APPARENTLY there are three different sizes of the two bolt mount 3g. The "large case" and "small case" must both come with 7" bolt spacing? I don't know, I'm finding conflicting information online which is frustrating me even more! o_O

Pictures finally got approval on my battery cable mess. I think the post was buried by the time it got approved so nobody saw it LOL

@IDIBRONCO For what it's worth... Tank DOES have the smaller 7" spacing alternator, I checked today. I didn't realize it wasn't quite right because I didn't have the vacuum pump belt to worry about. I noticed the stock alternator belt was too long but just assumed that was because it was a 3g alternator not a 2g.... I did notice one of the case bolts wants to hit the fuel filter bracket but it wasn't too bad and I managed to make it work with the ambulance package belt (Gates 9570HD) if my memory is correct. I seem to remember buying that alternator for an old 86 with the 351w and ended up abandoning that project. I reclocked it myself to fit so you might not have the same trouble I did.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked my alternator up from the rebuilder today. $103. I had kept the old alternator when I put this reman on and it's a good thing I did. The shop said it (reman) wasn't worth repairing, too far gone, but luckily he was able to take a couple parts from it and make a good one out of the pair.

So I got home and did what anyone would do, I finished unbolting the power steering pump! Ok it actually does make sense... I found a while ago that the top U joint on my steering shaft was shot. I found a good used one to swap on but I couldn't get to the lower bolt with the pump in the way.

After I got the steering shaft in place I figured I'd take a closer look at the pressure hose. I had bought a new one because I was afraid it would break when I went to remove it to change out the pressure valve in the pump (which I Still haven't done....)

Yep it's pretty crusty and actually weeping so it's due to be changed. It was a long day at work and I wasn't really feeling it today, so when the wife got home I decided to throw in the towel. I soaked the pressure hose fitting with penetrating oil while I was in there.

I did get the new alternator installed, but now I have a bunch of other stuff to do too before I can run it LOL

Last edited:

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to do the belts on mine. I have had the new PS, alt, and vacuum pump belts behind the seat for several years. Just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to do the belts on mine. I have had the new PS, alt, and vacuum pump belts behind the seat for several years. Just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

James
It might be time to replace the replacement belts if it's been a few years.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might be time to replace the replacement belts if it's been a few years.

My father in law was trying to be nice to me, handed me a pillowcase full of old belts when he was moving and said "You'll never have to buy another belt now!"

I'm pretty sure they were all older than I am. Hard as rocks and completely useless. He had good intentions but a little bit clueless.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Managed to track down the new hose today so I got that put on. Funny how the hose actually comes off when you turn the fitting the correct way....... For some reason the new hose at the box the fitting is 1/2" instead of 5/8" like all the other ones I've seen. Weird. Got the pump back on and topped back off, tensioned the belt up.

I absolutely HATE the way the AC belt is tensioned. It's like 4 or 5 bolts that all have to be loosened and then re-tightened.

I pulled the bolts out and anti-seized them. I know at least a couple of them go into aluminum. Replaced the one on the back side that someone had lost before I got it.

Tightened up the alternator and vacuum pump belts, fired it up and let it idle for a little bit. 14.3v so that's good!

Bled the caliper I just replaced a bit more now that I have more brake fluid.

Pulled it forward to tackle that exhaust clamp... You darn southerners just don't know what you're missing!

I don't know how old that is but it's not very. Glad I caught it before it fell off.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like the looks of this either.

I should probably do something about that before it gets worse...

But I'm not going to LOL

It's on and hopefully that'll hold for a while. The whole exhaust is pretty crusty and I don't know how many more years I'll get out of it. Gotta love the darn crap they spread on the roads all winter.