1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diego Revisited

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by chillman88, Apr 28, 2020.

1. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

I wasn't planning on a build thread for this truck, but working on it today I realized how much I've already done to it, and that there's still a bunch left to do so here it is!

Late last year I picked up a 1990 F250 from @saburai. He retired it from hauling his live-in bumper pull camper.

IMG_20191026_130202906.jpg

I drove it around 3hrs home and started tinkering with it. Swapped out the steering column with one that didn't wobble all over, put a working radio in, put a Lund visor on, and swapped the grille guard from my Dually.

IMG_20191106_195211217.jpg

The tires on it were great highway tires, they SUCKED in the snow. I had some old tires on a parts truck, swapped them on...

IMG_20191114_155559000.jpg

Drove it for a month or two and had an unfortunate incident where the radiator froze up and cracked the radiator. Turns out it was weeping from a couple other spots anyway. I bought a new radiator for my dually and put the old brass radiator in this truck, and added a large auxiliary transmission cooler.

IMG_20200424_172522295_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  2. chillman88

Last week I filled the cooling system up with Rotella Nitrate Free ELC and I tossed on a grille blanket/screen set.

IMG_20200419_145831440_HDR.jpg

Today I finally replaced the crappy wiper motor with a used one I had here. I was going to replace the wiper arms, but the used ones I have are a little loose, the ones on the truck are still nice and tight!

3. hacked89

hacked89 Full Access Member

What new radiator did you go with on the dually and how do you like it? My radiator broke when I pulled my truck apart. It barely tapped the fans and a blade went through it. It was a new radiator from the PO, but the metal was very fragile.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. chillman88

I bought a Mishimoto radiator. Not overly pleased with the quality, but I was hoping spending just a little more would get me better quality than the cheap ones. Time will tell.

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/tank-my-91-crew-cab-dually.84233/page-16#post-1053623

hacked89 likes this.
  5. chillman88

Well I put the new registration sticker in the window today and cleaned out the truck a little bit.

This truck has had an odd rattle when I close the door since I got it. I pulled the drivers door panel off and reached inside the door, pulled out a bolt about 1“ long about 1/2" in diameter. No clue what that came from?? Put some new Christmas tree clips on it and now the door panel doesn't rattle either! Score x2!

tjsea and saburai like this.
  6. saburai

saburai Supporting Member Supporting Member

And you got a free mystery bolt:Thumbs Up

chillman88 likes this.
  7. Selahdoor

Selahdoor How can I help you, or make you laugh, today? Supporting Member

Christmas tree clips?

Yesterday, I applied the new tabs to the plate. I have officially had this truck two years!! Man, time went fast.

Today, I have been working between raindrops. Taking my time. Paying close attention to each step.

was figuring out whether the rear door was worth fixing or not. Could have decided the canopy wasn't worth it, if I couldn't fix the door. Not going to spend 600 dollars on a special order door, for a free canopy. LOL

It's worth it. I got it pinned back together and fixed a couple bends... It's going to work just fine.

Tomorrow I'm hoping it doesn't rain like it did today. I want to get the plexiglass cut to shape and size, and put into that door frame.

Then I'll move on to fixing the front window of the canopy. Thinking I may just take out the other sliding pane.... And make one solid piece for that area, out of plexiglass.

One thing has me concerned. I'll have to remove the canopy, to finish the work on it. Still haven't figured out how I am going to do that by myself.

Maybe for the front window, I'll just get up underneath it, stand up, and spin it 90 degrees. If I even can. I'm not as young as I used to be.

But I have to get it completely off of there anyway, because I have to repair damage that has been done to the bed of the truck.

So, we'll see,

Edit: Whoops thought I was in a different thread. LOL

Didn't mean to hijack your thread Chillman!

saburai and chillman88 like this.
  8. chillman88

I'll try to remember to send you a picture tomorrow.

Stop thief! LOL No problem hahaha.

Selahdoor likes this.
  9. chillman88

Be careful. Those things are heavy! My aluminum one is plenty heavy, those fiberglass ones are even heavier. I'd offer to help, but it's a little out of the way LOL

10. Scotty4

Scotty4 Full Access Member

@Selahdoor just slide it back until it teeters then clamp it in place. Should be enough room.

@chillman88 free bolt!

chillman88 likes this.
  11. Selahdoor

I'll answer this in my own thread. Don't want to continue hijacking Chillman's thread.

12. chillman88

Selahdoor likes this.
  13. Selahdoor

Ah! Thank you! It's obvious why they are called christmas tree clips! :D

chillman88 likes this.
  14. chillman88

I think technically they're something like trim panel clips. But that's a mouthful hahaha

15. chillman88

From another thread... https://www.oilburners.net/threads/...-your-truck-today.60076/page-323#post-1054346

Pretty sure I am going to have to solder it. It seems to be leaking pretty decent from those threads (as I feared).

Other than that and another spot that might be seeping, it seems to be holding good. Hasn't overheated at all.

Checked the transmission fluid today, these dipsticks SUCK to try and read! Looks low so I'm going to pick up a quart tomorrow. I expect that though from losing whatever was in the old radiator and adding the new cooler too.

Selahdoor likes this.