Diego Revisited

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the rotor changed out today. This picture shows the flaws a little bit better. I wish I knew some place local that had an on vehicle brake lathe, it probably would have just cleaned up.

You must be registered for see images attach

Gave me an excuse to finally change that caliper I bought last year when the other side seized up. Still need to bleed it, somehow I forgot to get brake fluid.
Salt sure messes up steel, did it cause what is on the face of the Rotor?
Looks like one messed up Rotor.

Goat

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Salt sure messes up steel, did it cause what is on the face of the Rotor?
Looks like one messed up Rotor.

Goat

Most likely, although with those chips coming off I'm not sure how much of it may be just bad casting. It looked ok when I put it on a couple years ago but if there were imperfections under the surface they may not have shown up until it had a few hundred heat cycles. It's also possible that the caliper may have been sticking a little bit but I'm not sure. I know at one point that metal pad they glue to the back of the brake pad for noise abatement had walked off so there was definitely some excess flex in the system from something.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a brake lathe and I wouldn't waste my time trying to turn that rotor. In my experience, when they look like that, there isn't enough meat on them to get those rust spots to clean up. For your info from napa's site, nominal(new) thickness is 1.250, discard is 1.18. So you optimally have .035" to machine off a side, if it's at the 1.250 it would have been when new. I'd bet money you have isn't at 1.250, and even if it was, I still doubt you'd get it cleaned up with only .035".

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went from really excited to really pi**** off pretty quick today.

The second replacement alternator is here for Diego! And it doesn't look like it's been used as a basketball either!!!

Except.... It's NOT the correct part.

This is the smaller 60 or 70 or whatever amperage alternator. The 130amp alternator has two vent holes here and is PHYSICALLY LARGER.

You know, I really don't care. I'd make it work except...

Now I need to get a shorter vacuum pump belt.

This is getting old QUICKLY and it's not RockAuto's fault. Whoever rebuilds them for ACDelco is not paying any attention at all. Remanufactured in Mexico. Yay.......

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Corporate Chimerica says to go buy a new 100k truck that will not see 20 years of life or last 150k on the highway.
:sorry:

How dang hard is it to follow the directions:frustrate

For grins, check the output.
They may have done some interesting VOODOO inside.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For grins, check the output.
They may have done some interesting VOODOO inside.

I had considered it. If I hadn't had to send the last one back before they would send me this one I could have just put this voltage regulator on and been done with it!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
This is the smaller 60 or 70 or whatever amperage alternator. The 130amp alternator has two vent holes here and is PHYSICALLY LARGER.
So this means that I'd better check my AC Delco alternator tomorrow Before I need to use it as a spare. You don't really want to use the 60/70 amp alternator. That puts out less amperage than a 1G does.

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score

As you can see, both are clearly labeled as 334-2248
I worked at oreillys last summer and I saw this same thing. Someone else was selling one of these alternators and it was the smaller one marked as the big one. The customer bought it anyway. There must be a lot of the small alternators being sold as the large ones. Doesn't seem to matter where you buy something from need to check carefully what your getting.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through 3 alternators with the manager at O" Really`s to find the 4th one w/o dry bearings.
This was a G1, and it can come under 3 different part #`s, depending how it is clocked.

Goat

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went through 3 alternators with the manager at O" Really`s to find the 4th one w/o dry bearings.
This was a G1, and it can come under 3 different part #`s, depending how it is clocked.

Goat

Yeah if the next one is wrong or bad I'm just going to get the old one rebuilt instead of this BS.

A warranty is great, if you can get a replacement part.......