Diego Revisited

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also replaced the dimmer switch. The old one worked, it just stuck. I guess it was a little cold? LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

I coated the new one with some silicone grease which will hopefully help.
I don't think that is where that is supposed to be installed...

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had one stick too. Nothing like doing 60 at night without headlights. I don't think I've ever stomped my foot so fast in my life. Repairing the old one wasn't even a consideration after that.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diego got the ol' hack n tap steering fix this morning. Not only is the shim missing so is the plastic spacer! We'll see if there's enough meat there to hold it.

Somewhere along the line someone had just crimped it tight. I had a bear of a time getting the steering column replaced when I bought the truck. This should work better!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diego got the ol' hack n tap steering fix this morning. Not only is the shim missing so is the plastic spacer! We'll see if there's enough meat there to hold it.

Somewhere along the line someone had just crimped it tight. I had a bear of a time getting the steering column replaced when I bought the truck. This should work better!
Mine has been solid for 3+ years with just blue thread locker so you'll be good. Love that mod!
And I'll notice if it ever does loosen up since the rest of my linkage is tight with a Redhead steering box. Truck goes right where I want it to! Until it's time to turn around in a small parking lot....

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine has been solid for 3+ years with just blue thread locker so you'll be good. Love that mod!
And I'll notice if it ever does loosen up since the rest of my linkage is tight with a Redhead steering box. Truck goes right where I want it to! Until it's time to turn around in a small parking lot....

Mine is all over the place unless it's pulling a little bit. I'm expecting great things LOL

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score

What is this all about?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is this all about?

I'm surprised you haven't seen it before.

The steering shaft is supposed to have a plastic spacer and a "leaf spring" in it to take the slop out of it. They fall out so someone suggested adding a bolt to tighten up against the inner shaft to take the slop out of it.

Unless you already knew that and just didn't know that's what I was referring to LOL

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't know. But now I am wondering if that is what was wrong with the 89.

Replaced the power steering pump, still had problems with it being very sloppy. Suspected the steering box. Would have been pissed to replace that as well, and still have the problem.

89 is parked in the back 40 now. Keeping it because if I ever need the engine, I am not going to be able to afford a replacement from someone else. And if I wreck the 91, I can still make the 89 run again.

If I have to do that, now I'll know to check this out.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tightened up a loose transmission cooler clamp, washed the windows, slapped a quick coat of black on the bumper to make me feel better. I also popped the hubcaps back on.

I think I found my small coolant leak too. One of the heater hoses I knew I should have replaced before but didn't....

Getting there! Overall a productive weekend.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score

you just have to watch, in an accident the steering shaft no longer collapses like it should........

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you just have to watch, in an accident the steering shaft no longer collapses like it should........

It really should. It's just set screws pressing against the shaft. I hope I never find out though.

It did make a tremendous difference though. Steering wheel actually controls the gearbox now instead of just suggesting LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online