Did I just have an injector stick?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The pump makes a loud clicking noise when I spin the input shaft by hand and I can pull the shaft towards me a good 1/8 of an inch.
I don't think they are supposed to make that loud clicking noise. I'm also guessing that the play in the shaft could be the reason hat you've been getting fuel in your oil.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should make more of a solid sound like when you get a torque converter seated in a trans pump not a clunk or loud click

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well when I spin it it sounded like playing cards in bicycle spokes lol. And the shaft definitely pulled what would be toward the filler neck some if I pulled on it. This thing is prob so jacked up Mel is gonna toss it in the garbage when I send it for my core.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I can’t figure out how to post a link to the video, but, if you goto the Conestoga Diesel Injection Facebook page, Mel just posted a video showing howto detemine if a pump core is good. One thing he does show is the sound it should make when you spin the driveshaft........

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the pump on the bench today I blew 8psi of air through the inlet to the ip and fuel came bubbling out around the shaft of the ip.. so think I'm finally sure of what was happening during this mess. I recorded it leaking I'll upload later tonight.

Can't wait for the moose pump and injectors to come next week and rip around in the truck.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Not my picture but when removing everything from my pump this morning I cracked the 90* fitting that threads into the check valve for the fuel return. The thing of course snapped off inside the check valve. Mine isn't a hose barb 90* fitting like pictured here though it's threaded on both the check valve side and on the side that would mesh with the olive adapter to the return steel hard line.

I guess I'm gonna try and drill the broken part out of the check valve but does anyone know what the 90* fitting from it to the steel line actually is? Threads and whatnot. Kinda hoping it's the same as some of the extra fittings I have from eliminating the steel lines from lift pump to fuel filter but I'll definitely have to get something rigged up for my new pump there.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have an easy out the right size I'd try that first. I think drilling it would be a royal pain.

Good idea there lol it surprisingly worked perfectly these things never work for me..

So the thing in the bottom of this picture ... anyone know where I can get one? If not I'm gonna get a 1/8 npt to 3/8 hose barb and run a rubber hose to the steel return line and cut it and pipe clamp it.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good idea there lol it surprisingly worked perfectly these things never work for me..

So the thing in the bottom of this picture ... anyone know where I can get one? If not I'm gonna get a 1/8 npt to 3/8 hose barb and run a rubber hose to the steel return line and cut it and pipe clamp it.

Yeah they never work, so we give up on them. then when they actually would work we decide "they never work so why bother" I do it all the time myself haha

Personally I'd take plan B anyway. I'm curious when they changed from the steel lines, my IP goes directly to the first injector cap on the drivers side. Mine might not be stock anyway though so who knows.

I'd just flare the steel line a little bit to resist pull off and use a 90 barb and hose clamps.