Did I just have an injector stick?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yep. Now that I think about it, I think it was a promar engine. It was a sweet black bullnose crewcab, Iirc.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Took it on another 15 mile journey this morning up some good hills and it did great. Checked the oil and it's super clean so it's hard to tell but I'm almost positive it's right at the full mark between the full mark and the f for full.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Hey, Brian, just a suggestion, but why don't you call it High Water after the HIGH level of WATERy oil that you had to drain out? Maybe your sense of humor isn't as twisted as mine is, but I GUARANTEE that you'd remember this experience.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Hey, Brian, just a suggestion, but why don't you call it High Water after the HIGH level of WATERy oil that you had to drain out? Maybe your sense of humor isn't as twisted as mine is, but I GUARANTEE that you'd remember this experience.
I thought it was fuel. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not even sure if I'm in the clear yet. When I got home tonight and parked it in my garage the level looked a little bit higher but I also let it sit longer. The worry wort in me drained out about a quart and put it perfectly on the end of the full hash mark after it sat for over two hours. I'm gonna drive it to work tomorrow 40 miles round trip and see how it is tomorrow.

Assuming worse case that it does come up again with no mechanical lift pump to fail I'd be doing ip and injectors to keep a pump seal from leaking and injectors from washing down and I'd have to be in the clear at that point, right? I was ok with doing that anyways when the truck was all jacked up anyways. God I hope the oil doesn't come up. I was so excited to drive it when I realized it was fixed I didn't pay near enough attention to checking the oil more precisely. I didn't even check it after I changed the oil, I just new I put 10 1/2 quarts in and drove off. For all I know it's right where it should be based on how much I put in and I'm staring in a sink comparing hot maybe good oil to cold for sure full of diesel bad oil trying to make heads or tails of things. Coolant level still the same fyi haha..

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Horray! Sounds like maybe you fixed it.

Just read through all of your trials and testing on this one... and I have a question:
If you found 1.5 GALLONS of fuel in the oil, how did that not show up on the dipstick?? You mentioned "it might be a little high" but the hash marks between high and low is about a gallon IIRC. So 1.5 gallons of extra stuff would be over double the height of the 'full' mark. Was it not reading that high?

That said I truly applaud your attention to eliminating air intrusion and not just throwing parts at it. My above question isn't me being a smarta$$, just trying to follow up and get a little clarity.

BTW issues like this is why I've learned to smell the dipstick every time i check the oil. Oil should never smell like diesel fuel. That will help next time you start her up or drive to work. Regardless of the oil level, just give the dipstick a quick smell. Should clear up any worries, or confirm them!

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The spot I checked it on was on a hill slightly so I figured it was off cause of that and didn't check it after since the po said he had recently changed it and it looked clean.

Drove it 28 miles to work the long way and it did great. Needs timing adjusted it's a bit of a pig up hills in 4th as a single cab that my 7.3 cclb can fly up in over drive but it's a bit more fine tuned.

Tried to check oil here but there's no real good flat spots. Best I can park still has the truck leaning slightly uphill at the engine which would be making the oil flow to the back more. It read between the u and l in full on this hill. Another 28 miles home tonight and I'll put it in the garage and see.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found a flat spot while on lunch. Almost positive it's slowly filling back up. Beyond disgusted. Can't tell for sure with how clean the oil looks but I'm almost positive it went up to the first L in full on the dipstick. Now I'm gonna have to do the pump and injectors and if it fills up with fuel after that it's gone.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just called Mel. It runs great which is the disgusting part. I'm just going both and pulling the bandaid off real quick. Injectors have 120k on them anyways. I'm sure it's the pump leaking and not having a weep hole on it but a new pump with injectors that old just seems like a bad recipe.

Worse case I get a new pump and injectors for my other idi and I burn this truck to the ground lol..

rempfer

Reaction score
I hardly think the injectors have anything to do with this fuel intrusion into the crankcase. Many of the proposed solutions so far -- with all due respect to everyone -- seem clearly to unrelated to fuel entering the crankcase.

1. Fuel under sufficient pressure or by gravity is evidently entering the crankcase, is this safe to say?

2. Surely an injector which was dumping enough fuel in the cylinder to remain un-burned and thereby bypass the rings would noticeably affect the way the engine runs, would it not? How could it not?

3. Is there a path whereby the injection pump could actually allow part of its fuel supply to leak into the crankcase? If so, then I guess I would go along with the IP perhaps being the problem.

4. But wouldn't you start here first: Is the old lift pump still on the vehicle? And does the aftermarket fuel pump push fuel through the old lift pump to the filter? If yes, why wouldn't this be the first place to look? A bad OEM lift pump would seem to be the first opportunity in the fuel circuit for fuel to leak into the crankcase.

Maybe I missed something in the earlier posts and if I have I apologize for anything inappropriate in the above. This is a nice little mystery, I'd just like to know if it's a bad valve or diaphragm in old lift pump that's weeping fuel into the crankcase.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old mechanical pump is already gone and a facet electric pump is on. That's what we thought happened until today