Did I just have an injector stick?

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never seen one injector make that kinda racket. Sounds to me like an injection pump that's completely whacked out.
Maybe I'm wrong but that's just my little ol humble opinion

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t start throwing parts at it, and don’t blame yourself for your problems. Pull the top cover off the ip and see what it looks like in there, should be clean with no algae or debris.

Pull the injectors and soak them in atf overnight. Inspect the bores for carbon buildup and replace copper washers if you haven’t already.

Pull the lemon cover off the timing gear cover and make sure the bolt are tight and the pump gear isn’t loose.

Maybe oil change and send an oil sample off to black stone?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a pressure gauge on it such that you can watch it under driving conditions? That's a good starting point; making sure of your fuel supply... under load!

Next, why not just strap a jerry can to the front bumper and hook a hose up to the lift pump inlet. Bypass the entire tank setup and see what that changes.

remember, process of elimination here. It's fuel related, we know that. If it's pressure or air, it's pre-lift-pump most likely.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that I can see from the cab. What size is the port for the Schrader on the 6.9? Mine is smaller then 1/8 or I was gonna switch my electric gauge from my 7.3

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a 6.9 filter handy, so I don't know, but perhaps 1/16 npt(yes, it's a size)?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might have just had a revelation though I'll let you guys be the judge of that. I just found a fuel filter like a bigger metal fram style filter on the return line going back to the tank hiding above some stuff I didn't notice before. It's a mess outside today and i feel like garbage so I'm not bothering with it tonight but would a stupid filter like this on the return side [even positioned for flow correctly to the tank] possibly cause me to have too much fuel at the return lines and give me an issue like this?

Also clear 3/16 fuel line to help rule out my air is not easy to find if I don't wanna order it online but I guess that's where I'm gonna have to get it in my area.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might have just had a revelation though I'll let you guys be the judge of that. I just found a fuel filter like a bigger metal fram style filter on the return line going back to the tank hiding above some stuff I didn't notice before. It's a mess outside today and i feel like garbage so I'm not bothering with it tonight but would a stupid filter like this on the return side [even positioned for flow correctly to the tank] possibly cause me to have too much fuel at the return lines and give me an issue like this?

Also clear 3/16 fuel line to help rule out my air is not easy to find if I don't wanna order it online but I guess that's where I'm gonna have to get it in my area.
If that filter is plugged, I'd say it would definitely make your injection pump do weird things and cause the issues your having.
Don't know why someone would install a filter on a return line, unless they thought it was a supply line or something.
Either way, just eliminate it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well, if it really is on the return side, I doubt it's plugged. Lol
Could cause it to act funny.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We removed it tonight anyways as it stopped raining and it didn't help at all. Ugh.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can think of only two things capable of that much smoke: Fuel or oil.

So for oil,

What kind of oil consumption is this engine showing?
What kind of blowby vapor is visible when warmed up and at idle with the oil filler cap off?
When was the last time you checked the CDR?
I couldn't help but notice the intake was modified and wonder if the CDR may have also been tampered with.

The only time I ever heard that kind of crackle/knock from an IDI, was in an old diesel ranger that had excess blowby. Its hard to be sure without seeing it in person, but the color of smoke seems to match too (thick grey with a mild hint of blue). Oil would build up in under the valve cover until getting sucked through the intake, resulting in a moderate runaway. In my case, it was blowby preventing adequate drainback down to the sump. Light throttle and slight downhill cruising would set it off almost like clockwork. Older VW IDIs were also prone to this.

Regarding fuel/air intrusion,

One spot that could be allowing air in is at the fuel sending unit itself. Not the pickup tube inside the tank, but the lines that exit the top of the tank. Those are either zinc or cadmium coated steel, and don't last forever. If the rear tank already rusted out, I can't imagine the front sender is in great shape either. The rest of the fuel lines in these trucks hold up very well against the elements.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It hasn't really consumed any oil so far that I've noticed. I'll check for blow by tomorrow. It did seem a bit over full on the dipstick but I haven't noticed any oil on the inside of the air cleaner. The picture i used from the modified are cleaner isn't actually this truck it has a stock air cleaner.

*Edit*

Just went out anyways cause this is driving me nuts. Basically next to no blow by I can sit the cap on the filler neck and it's not even close to moving. No audible whistling or anything. I did notice a light blue / white smoke at idle. Doesn't smell sweet or rich just smells like diesel smoke to me. I'm uploading a video which takes forever but the smoke does have a light blue tint.

Last edited:

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you replaced you water separator filter? If not, I’d do it.

Doesn’t hurt to try this either:

Dump 2 bottles of Sea Foam in your tank, and put Sea foam in a new NAPA Gold fuel filter part # 3811, fire it up and let it run for 45s to a minute and shut her down. Let it sit overnight and take it out and run it kinda hard for about 20-30 miles.

You can also get a laser thermometer and check all of your injector temps for any unusually high temps.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here's a video of the blowby or honestly lack there of. It does smoke some at idle but I can't tell if it's white with a tint of blue or blue with a tint of white. Doesn't smell like anything but exhaust to me. Truck has so much power serve fuel additives in it that who knows what the smoke is at this point when I was trying to clean the injectors.

I do think after checking the oil that it's over full more then it should be but I'm not losing any coolant at all. Perhaps my lift pump was leaking fuel into the crank case. Idk. I also did a clear fuel line on two return lines I made a video of I'll upload that next but no bubbles.

I'm gonna change the oil tonight make sure it's the proper level and check the cdr for kicks.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much over is the oil? Do I remember that this happens when going up hill or parked nose up in a slanted driveway? Seems unlikely, but maybe excess oil is being sucked through the CDR and causing the runaway behavior/bad running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online