Did I just kill my starter?

Scratcher

Reaction score
So I have issues, but that's another story for another thread. Anyway, Big Red is dead due to FSS issues. So I decided to bump it forward a couple of feet to get closer to my working area. So I turned the key while in 1st gear, thinking it would lurch forward but instead the starter hardly moved. My first thought was that I had killed the starter, so I dipped the clutch and sure as my suspicions it struggled to spin. It almost sounds like a dying battery but both batteries have 12 Volts.

I know the starter was good before because I tried to start it normally and its a fairly new Nippon gear reduction upgrade I di a couple years back.

So. Did i kill my starter? Can it be rebuilt?

Thanks in advance

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Just because you have 12v at the batteries doesn't mean you have a loose/dirty connection at the battery and/or starter. You could also have batteries that are just tired. Load test the batteries and bench test the starter before replacing parts.

Scratcher

Reaction score
Just because you have 12v at the batteries doesn't mean you have a loose/dirty connection at the battery and/or starter. You could also have batteries that are just tired. Load test the batteries and bench test the starter before replacing parts.

All the connections are good and solid. (I'm pretty **** about that stuff) It turned over just fine when I tried to start it normally. It was after that, when I tried to bump it forward on the starter that it failed. After that I tried it normally again and its was dead. I went into my local rebuild shop and they confirmed that I probably fried the starter due to the fact it was fighting against a high compression engine.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
It's possible it's dead then. I once had my clutch slave fall off, and had to start my truck in 1st, with a fully loaded camper on it, and it did just fine, odd yours gave up the ghost on the first go. I still have the same starter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online