Did I just have an injector stick?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe it's your injectors. I had two stuck open, blowing black smoke for 720 miles, truckers came on the CB and said they would be ticketed if they smoked like that. I was pulling a 25 ft trailer with a F350 dually on it. Coming out of Columbus OH on SR33 I had a 30MPH head wind, best I could do was 45 MPH at 2800 RPM. But I definitely did NOT have a knock like I heard in your video, actually just noise like any IDI makes.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah my testing today with the uphill thing makes me think it's air too just like what everyone was saying. Does anyone remember what size threads the inlet to the ip and outlet of this adapter from the fuel filter is?

You must be registered for see images attach

I wanna get a female npt to hose barb and clear line like was suggested and try idling the truck again tonight.

Already replaced the olive from ip to metal return line and the back olive where the two banks of return lines join up. Those were rather leaky areas.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what else to do. I'm officially at my breaking point with this truck. I replaced all of the injector return lines all the caps and all the olives this morning and if I go up a hill or get on the throttle it sounds like it did in that video. I have no idea what else to do.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does your tank selector valve work? I'm assuming you've been around enough to know about the tank pickup issues. I don't remember if you said, how much fuel is in it?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tank is full. Valve is bypassed entirely. Back tank was leaking so the po removed it and the valve. I crawled under there and totally replaced the entirety of the fuel line from the tank to the facet pump this morning with new rubber hose as well as doing all the return lines, caps, and olives. Tank is full as well. When I got back from driving it around to test it this morning none of the injector caps felt any hotter than the others either.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if that's the case shouldn't I start with injectors first and then the pump?

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do the pump first. It's easy enough to change injectors if you need to but save that money for now.
I know most don't agree with me about quality but I've got two great running pumps from summit, 450 bucks and cheap core charge. Shipped quick and the best looking rebuilds I e ever seen. Best packaging for shipping I've ever seen also.
Swap your pump out and go from there.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What p/n did you order? All I see at Summit for my '93 7.3 nonturbo is a Delphi pump for 609.95 plus 150 core. :dunno

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't think the pump is causing this issue. Assuming I've totally ruled out air intrusion and I believe I have now, if it's a fuel knock it's gotta be knocking because an injector is stuck open but the injector itself would cause that. I don't think a pump could cause a injector to not be able to return to closed when it's not firing. The previous owner told me those are the original injectors. I called Conestoga today and left a message. I'm probably gonna try and do injectors first if Mel agrees but I'm welcome to additional advice. Not to say my pump also couldn't be bad either..