deka batteries

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For 10 years I drove truck for DEKA.My dad retired from there, and my brother has been working there for over 20 years If I ever need to replace a battery in my vehicles I'd go and get a second. You only get a 6 month warranty because of the blemish but I've gotten over 5 years out of them.

NJKen, here is theri website. http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/ You can plug in your zipcode and find a place to get them. When I worked for DEKA we labeled batteries for Exxon, Sunoco, Gulf, Taylor-Blackburn Systems (TBS), Wonch, and several other brand names. Keith

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For 10 years I drove truck for DEKA.My dad retired from there, and my brother has been working there for over 20 years If I ever need to replace a battery in my vehicles I'd go and get a second. You only get a 6 month warranty because of the blemish but I've gotten over 5 years out of them.

NJKen, here is theri website. http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/ You can plug in your zipcode and find a place to get them. When I worked for DEKA we labeled batteries for Exxon, Sunoco, Gulf, Taylor-Blackburn Systems (TBS), Wonch, and several other brand names. Keith

Dang.... 116 miles is the 'nearest' dealer. Maybe the only one in WA.....

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The nearest one to me is 119 so I can sympathize!

And the next question would be, is that location retail or wholesale??? There are about two battery places local to me (all the do is batteries) and another that does batteries, starters, alters (anything auto electrical....)

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
How do you get the seconds/ blems though..??? The last I knew - Carquest sold Deka's and the Carquest batteries (labeled) were Deka's too.... Do you have to get ahold of a route man to get them. I have been told that about the interstates too....?????

gandalf

Reaction score
Guess I finally got lucky. The nearest dealer is just four miles from me, about walking distance.:rotflmao

I have the feeling that I'll be in the market soon for new batteries. My truck has the same two Interstate group 65 batteries which were in it when I bought it. I'm not driving it much, but they seem to be having a harder time holding a charge.

Reading over this post, the batteries of choice seem to be DEKAs, Interstate, and NAPAs. Is one of these better than the others? It would be nice to have group 31's, but I'm not sure they'd fit in my '92. Can anyone confirm?

Better start saving my lunch money.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to have group 31's, but I'm not sure they'd fit in my '92.

One sure way to know is to drop in somewhere SENSIBLE, as in not Walmart etc., and either borrow or buy a junker Group-31S to use as a guinea-pig.

Right now, core batteries are worth maybe three bucks.

Before your batteries suddenly fail, forcing you to make a quick (usually not the best) decision, you can play with this junker battery, seeing if it will fit, and if not, then adapting the trays so that it will fit.

I am not familiar with just what has changed with each year-model, but I do know for a fact that Group-31S will fit easily in my 1985, and I also have seen them in use in an un-altered 1988.

I also strongly recommend that anyone buying a battery get the "S" type threaded-stud battery for use with copper-ring/lug cable-ends.

If your cables are not ready for the threaded studs, then screw-on lead-post adapters are readily available at any battery store.

The adapters can be screwed onto the studs, and easily removed once the cable-ends are changed over.

Every vehicle in my fleet, and all I have owned in the last ten years or so, has been converted to the copper-lug cable-ends, even several little crappy "gas-saver" cars that we have had the mis-fortune to own (I'll not make those mistakes again; fuel is not THAT expensive).

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you get the seconds/ blems though..??? The last I knew - Carquest sold Deka's and the Carquest batteries (labeled) were Deka's too.... Do you have to get ahold of a route man to get them. I have been told that about the interstates too....?????

You might be able to call the local warehouse to see if they ahve any or can get them. I live 30 miles from the plant. So I give retail sales a call and ask if they have the size I need in stock as a second. Antoher option is a rebuilt. Those are new batteries with 1 or 2 cells that are messed up. The top is cut off and the bad cells are replaced. Keith