Decent size load to tow...

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only towed scrap metal, campers, a decent amount of cars and other misc items but that's what I normally tow. Now for weight the trailer probably never been over 7500lbs.

My truck is a 93 f350 cc lb drw 4x4 7.3 idi n/a with nothing done besides exhaust. I will be using a 9 ton pintle triaxle equipment trailer to pick up a 93 f350 crew cab long bed 4x4 with a 6.9 idi single rear wheel.

My dually weighs 7300 empty according to the scale at the scrap yard. So I estamate the trailer is going to be somewhere around the 9000lb area.

Anybody have any experience pulling on the highway with this sort of weight I'm mainly concerned about DOT, EGTS and being able to keep up with traffic. Its a 1hr and 50mins of highway each way

Its probably a stupid concern but any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my LG-P659 using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Total weight is going to be around 23,600. It's not that you can't tow that load, it's if you can stop it. Does the trailer have brakes? Are you going to tow on Interstate hiways at 70 MPH?

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will do it. You won't win any races but your truck should handle it no problem. Just remember the hardest part pulling or hauling a heavy load isn't getting moving, its stopping! hope you have a brake controller and the brakes on your trailer work.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You will need trailer brakes that work well. Even then you are overloaded and ticket bound if caught. Someone here posted the max weight our different trucks could haul and as I recall your overweight.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i haul probably 10-11k regularly with similar set up but mine is 7.3 IDI turbo / 5spd.. only complaint is i seem to have my temps creep up when trying to run anything above 60mph.. seems like if it stay at 55-58mph and run 4th gear it stays in the 205 - 210 range for pretty much any distance...

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haul 10-15,000lbs regularly with my tired N/A 6.9, sure its a little slow but has pulled everything I've put behind it. Pulling the John Deere 4020 was a tough pull at around 15,000lbs not including my truck & trailer but it'll do it. Just make sure your trailer brakes are working good!

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to stay around the 60 mph range I can deal with that. Everyone around here thinks the speed limit is 80 to 85 mph but I'll just stay off in the slow lane. I do have trailer brakes and the trailer I'm using has new brakes and tires. Now do you guys think I'm legal? My gvwr is 9200 as my truck was originally a srw . I'm not sure how to figure out my legal combined weight

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a quick search looking for that post about towing and I didn't come up with much legality wise

osokusmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had DOT look at the door sticker on the pickup and add the GVW figure to the GVW figure on the trailer and come to the conclusion that I needed a CDL-over 26,000lbs. Looks like if DOT went by stickers like they did to me, you'd need a CDL. Doesn't matter if you are running empty, if the GVWs add up to over 26k, you are in CDL range. I believe there are some exemptions such as ag, and I'm not sure about RV. Crossing state lines can bring added regulations. Your best bet is to say your in ag and play dumb.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now do you guys think I'm legal? My gvwr is 9200 as my truck was originally a srw . I'm not sure how to figure out my legal combined weight
The GCVW is just a recommendation by the manufacturer, it is not listed anywhere on the truck and has no legal power as far as DOT is concerned. To figure out combined weight a DOT officer will simply add the truck's GVW and the trailer's GVW together - if their sum hits 26,001 you need a CDL to be legal. At the same rate tho, with ANY trailer with GVW of over 10k you automatically need CDL, regardless of truck's own GVW. Meaning all those guys you see running around with 10k dually trucks and 14k tandem-axle goose trailers, technically they all need CDLs, cause while 10k truck + 14k trailer adds up to 24k which is way less than the 26k CDL limit, the trailer alone is still over 10k.

So with a 9-ton trailer you automatically need CDL, regardless of whether you're pulling it with a 3/4-ton pickup or a twin-steer tri-drive heavy haul Class 8. That said, while DOT is never your friend, as long as you are not hauling for hire they are not your sworn enemy either - they have bigger fish to fry than Joe Shmoe dragging home his new junk truck on whatever trailer he borrowed from his buddy or cousin or boss. Just be safe about how you drive, make sure truck and trailer are in good mechanical shape with nothing sketchy going on, and have paperwork with you that shows you are indeed the new owner of the vehicle being transported on the trailer.

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GCVW is just a recommendation by the manufacturer, it is not listed anywhere on the truck and has no legal power as far as DOT is concerned. To figure out combined weight a DOT officer will simply add the truck's GVW and the trailer's GVW together - if their sum hits 26,001 you need a CDL to be legal. At the same rate tho, with ANY trailer with GVW of over 10k you automatically need CDL, regardless of truck's own GVW. Meaning all those guys you see running around with 10k dually trucks and 14k tandem-axle goose trailers, technically they all need CDLs, cause while 10k truck + 14k trailer adds up to 24k which is way less than the 26k CDL limit, the trailer alone is still over 10k.

So with a 9-ton trailer you automatically need CDL, regardless of whether you're pulling it with a 3/4-ton pickup or a twin-steer tri-drive heavy haul Class 8. That said, while DOT is never your friend, as long as you are not hauling for hire they are not your sworn enemy either - they have bigger fish to fry than Joe Shmoe dragging home his new junk truck on whatever trailer he borrowed from his buddy or cousin or boss. Just be safe about how you drive, make sure truck and trailer are in good mechanical shape with nothing sketchy going on, and have paperwork with you that shows you are indeed the new owner of the vehicle being transported on the trailer.

Thank you very much that makes sense. Unfortunately now I have to make a decision on how to get this truck home..

I think it's ridiculous then, how many trucks are running around here with 40 ft in closed goosenecks or landscape trucks with exactly the same style trailer I was going to use.

Do farm plates on the trailer have any effect on this?

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hitch on the truck Is a 8 inch drop bumper With a trailer hitch built in. Rating is 10,000 and 1,000 tongue weight. My pintle hitch is rated for 8 tons but the ball isn't so I'm using my friends closed pintle setup (no ball)

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
while DOT is never your friend, as long as you are not hauling for hire they are not your sworn enemy either - they have bigger fish to fry than Joe Shmoe dragging home his new junk truck on whatever trailer he borrowed from his buddy or cousin or boss. Just be safe about how you drive, make sure truck and trailer are in good mechanical shape with nothing sketchy going on, and have paperwork with you that shows you are indeed the new owner of the vehicle being transported on the trailer.

He's right, I have heard this before. As long as you are not for hire, they will not bother you. One old truck pulling another old truck on a trailer is not going to be a red flag for them. Now if you had some sort of square box or piece of equipment under a tarp, that's a different story.

You are pulling with a dually, so you are way ahead of a lot of guys who would be pulling this with a regular single wheel truck.