Decent size load to tow...

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck was a retired car hauler it had the 3 car wedge trailer. The guy kept the bed rails for the gooseneck but he gave me a 26k fifth wheel hitch. It has a ridiculous amount of leaf springs in the rear (more than anyone else with a f350 or f450 That I know)
You must be registered for see images attach
the first pic is what looks like a old sticker from his business with a different (higher) approved gvw but I don't know for sure cause it's hard to read with it all broken up and the second is the factory sticker..

Sent from my LG-P659 using Tapatalk

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
she's not pretty but she's solid and its the best I can do for now, I just can't afford any fines or anything crazy to happen.
only reason we have to tow it is cause it needs a transmission, But it's a Texas truck and has only been in the rustzone we call New England for a year and its a steal for a rust free factory frame paint and everything truck. Its not everyday I come across a mint obs lol

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
she's not pretty but she's solid and its the best I can do for now, I just can't afford any fines or anything crazy to happen.
only reason we have to tow it is cause it needs a transmission, But it's a Texas truck and has only been in the rustzone we call New England for a year and its a steal for a rust free factory frame paint and everything truck. Its not everyday I come across a mint looking obs lol

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to take my truck east when I sell it. No rust except a little surface on the front of the hood :)

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have pretty much the same trailer you're describing. It should weigh 5000-5500. Mine is an Eager Beaver 9 ton. I towed my 95 CCLB powerstroke filled with tools grossing over 11k by itself with my 88 F250 7.3 N/A with no trailer brakes. Granted it was only a few miles back to my house, it handled the weight fine. And again while I didn't go on the highway and didn't go above 20, it pulled it fine. Now I certainly wouldn't do it without brakes but like I said, I stayed below 20 and it was 3 miles back to my house.

This weekend I'm going to pick up my 90 F350 7.3 dump truck with a 9ft plow. My tow rig is a 93 CCLB 7.3 turbo so it's a little different. I also have towed my 89 CCLB 7.3 with some weight in the bed on a 3klb trailer grossing aboout 13klbs on the trailer and it towed it great.

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drinkypoo, yes everything's rotted around here and people think their trucks have gold bars in them..

And kalashnikov yes that trailer is very close to the same one I'd be using

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I ran this set up before and it handled just fine for a 7.3 N/A with a manual and 3.55 gears. I had two issues the whole trip; one was when I came around a down hill corner to find a stop sigh had been placed on the road due to a construction detour forutanly all the axles have brakes and I was able to stop, the second was heading home bucking a 35-45MPH head wind. The truck pulled just fine in the 60-65MPH range.

As for the CDL issues I have heard that only applies if you are hauling for some form of compensation, and a hobbiest like myself shouldn't have an issue with the DOT.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score

I ran this set up before and it handled just fine for a 7.3 N/A with a manual and 3.55 gears. I had two issues the whole trip; one was when I came around a down hill corner to find a stop sigh had been placed on the road due to a construction detour forutanly all the axles have brakes and I was able to stop, the second was heading home bucking a 35-45MPH head wind. The truck pulled just fine in the 60-65MPH range.

As for the CDL issues I have heard that only applies if you are hauling for some form of compensation, and a hobbiest like myself shouldn't have an issue with the DOT.

I've never hauled something like that. How do you calculate it? Believe my truck says 10k max for hauling. If the trailer (like I saw in this thread for some) says it weighs 9k, you are probably lucky to haul fully stripped vehicles at that point with 1k left over. Does that mean the trailer weighs 9k, or it can hold 9k? Only experience i've had is with uhaul half wits pushing trailers onto tow hitches of my families vehicles

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually ran the truck and loaded trailer across a CAT scale and had a GCVW (gross combined vehicle weight) of 21700lbs.

Trailers are rated for GVW (gross vehicle weight) based on the axle size. The above trailer is rated at 21000lbs with 3-7000lb axles. To figure out the amount of weight you can load on the trailer you take the 21000lb rating and subtract the empty trailer weight from that. So for the above trailer I can load roughly 16500lbs assuming a 4500lb trailer to reach the rated 21000lb.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I actually ran the truck and loaded trailer across a CAT scale and had a GCVW (gross combined vehicle weight) of 21700lbs.

Trailers are rated for GVW (gross vehicle weight) based on the axle size. The above trailer is rated at 21000lbs with 3-7000lb axles. To figure out the amount of weight you can load on the trailer you take the 21000lb rating and subtract the empty trailer weight from that. So for the above trailer I can load roughly 16500lbs assuming a 4500lb trailer to reach the rated 21000lb.

So the brochure for my truck says GVWR: 10,000 lbs Crew Cab/DRW. it says nothing about GCVW?. Does the 10k mean I basically can have a trailer (assuming cargo/my weight also) weighing that much, then the axle rating takes over for the trailer/what I can haul after that is subtracted?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online