Dbl7405 filter install

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea just for the extra cooling without adding a oil cooler. But then again Just about all of my fords have a dana 60 on them now or came with one.

The stock oil cooler is plenty sufficient for these engines. Really no need to put on an additional oil cooler. Just as long as your engine cooling system is up to par, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock oil cooler is plenty sufficient for these engines. Really no need to put on an additional oil cooler. Just as long as your engine cooling system is up to par, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Not when towing heavy. Before oil cooler my oil temps would spike 260+ pretty quickly. Now I have to work it to get it over 235. This is with a banks oil temperature gauge off the block

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not when towing heavy. Before oil cooler my oil temps would spike 260+ pretty quickly. Now I have to work it to get it over 235. This is with a banks oil temperature gauge off the block

That’s a little high. You probably have a clogged oil cooler. After that many years of use, pretty much all oil coolers become clogged with deposits at some point.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normal oil temps should be around 190-200. When towing, it’ll get a little higher.
260 is a red flag something ain’t right with that oil cooler.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
260 is normal, when towing heavy you’ll see it go up. There’s nothing wrong with it. See the other posts of members temp gunning their oil pans and 260+ is normal after big hills with weight. That’s well within the safe range of oil. For example a 40wt oil doesn’t begin to go below 3cst at around 300-310 degrees Fahrenheit for standard Dino oil. Synthetic has a much higher tolerance.

Last edited:

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well they came in the mail today. First one I’ve seen in person and it is huge. I might see how much adjusting of the cross member I’ll have to do to run them. I usually run purolator one or wix for a PSD and these are very close in cost to my normal from fleetryder. I hope that anyone planning to run this filter finds this thread because I wouldn’t have ordered them if I knew I had to cut the crossmember but the extra capacity, filtration, and cooling of this filter will make me feel better about running the 5k intervals i usually do instead of the 2500-3000 I probably should. I’ll try to get a picture up here tomorrow morning of just how big these things are and then another after it’s mounted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
* High oil temperature in excess of 240F will break down petroleum oils and cause oxidation, which in turn forms deposits, varnish, and increases wear.
http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/0901mt-conventional-petroleum-oil-vs-synthetic-oil/

For Dino oil 240 is the point we’re oil really starts to degrade, I understand you are probably running synthetic with your bypass system but even amsoil says this about their oil
The rate of oxidation for oil doubles for every 18°F increase in temperature.
https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/motor-oil/articles/why-motor-oil-deteriorates/
Just glad you got a cooler in there and you’re not seeing those temps anymore! :eek:

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Man thats a big ole filter, I think once i run out of my Mobil one PSD filters ill switch, by that time ill prob have finally finished my RSK D60 swap lol

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/0901mt-conventional-petroleum-oil-vs-synthetic-oil/

For Dino oil 240 is the point we’re oil really starts to degrade, I understand you are probably running synthetic with your bypass system but even amsoil says this about their oil

Read up on bobostheoilguy. I’ve been a long time member and have personally researched too much about oil. Many many examples of Truck and car oil run hard at 300+ degrees with clean black stone labs. I take factual data over articles. I’m not trying to belittle anyone it’s just a topic I’ve researched to death. I even run Dino delo in one of my air cooled street bikes that consistently sees 350-400 degree oil temps with not a single issue. You got to understand that oil even north of 300 is still safe. It’s closer to 400 you’d start worrying

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? I read several threads on there that pretty much confirmed what I was reading already, could you point me to these tests? I’m pretty new to that site

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=119662

This is new to me, so they are saying oil will survive up to 300* no problem but will be needed to be changed right away hmm

No problem, if you want to learn about oils definately go on that site, you can read lab reports, real world testing and see what is and isn’t true.

Here’s one thread about a guy running his corvette flat out
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/205265/3
You must be registered for see images attach

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members