Current IDI Projects (need advice/come looksee for fun)

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really want to keep that block, I would not weld it. Take it into a good machine shop and they can probably lock n stitch that crack.
Had my engine builder do that to my cylinder heads with great success.

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is that better than welding it? I would think the costs would be similar either way just curious why the lock and stitch method would be better than welding in your opinion.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand (not a welder mind you), it’s very difficult to weld cast iron and have it be successful.
My engine builder said he has done both methods quite a few times, and always prefers the lock and stitch method over welding cast iron.
Cast iron is very brittle, and requires that you heat up the material to an extreme temp before attempting to weld it. And often times, more cracks will develop around the weld during the heat cycles of an engine.

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh I see. Yeah it can be brittle. Preheat is important with any weld on something other than mild steel and can even help with thick mild steel. I'm not sure what you mean by extreme temp but I have welded cast iron using MIG and haven't had issues, preheated to circa 500F. I was think of (https://www.muggyweld.com/product/77-electrode/) this product as it is specifically for producing non cracking cast iron welds. Either way fixing a hole in a block or head is an interesting task. I would like to try it someday as I think that do to the relatively low temps that an engine block gets to I don't think that would cause an issue, after all exhaust manifolds have been welded without issue. By the way I'm not a professional welder yet but working towards that goal.

Marcus Metz

Reaction score
I found another engine pulled and ready ago that that supposedly runs for $350 bucks that was listed just allegedly pulled out of a truck that was just wrecked and includes all wiring and bolt-ons. I think I'm just going to buy it and swap the turbo kit from the other engine onto it so I know I'm working with a good block and then also have an entire good engine of spare parts (minus the block). So if it needs a head job or something..whatever. I've got a good set of spare heads and I still don't have the cab on the frame so it's easy access.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How old is the weld repair?

If it's gone for thousands of miles already... it's a fair bet it will continue.

Welding cast iron is a fine art that must be learned from someone who learned it from someone who knew how to do it.
Most important is pre-heat and post-heat... You MUST preheat the whole casting before welding, you MUST prep the weld area properly, and stop drill the cracks the right way. You MUST use the right rod, at the right amperage and flow the weld. Then... you have to post heat the casting to SLOWLY cool it down.

Fail any of these steps, you WILL crack the casting... do them all correctly, it can be welded.

Marcus Metz

Reaction score
I have no way of knowing how old the weld repair is or who did it or how many miles are on it. And being that they elected to do a terrible looking job of welding that block to rebuild upon it instead of just getting a different block...and then having sold the truck... I don't have high hopes for it.

So I just bought another 7.3 that looks to be in great shape at 220k miles, with no damn weld patch on the block, and I'm just going to swap the ATS turbo kit over from the welded one and keep the top end of the welded one for spares for if and when I need a head job or whatever. New engine is already on my frame and mated to the tranny and hopefully I'll have time to get it running next weekend, and the following weekend drop my cab and bed on it and put my truck on the road again after long last.

Here's hoping. :D

Last edited:

Marcus Metz

Reaction score
Here's the new engine. Did the oil pan gasket...no play in the rods. Engine turns as it should. Cleaning it up a bit and doing the valve cover gaskets and exhaust manifold gaskets, obv.

You must be registered for see images

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never welded an engine block but my experience welding cast pre heat the cast part , weld while still keeping heated then cool slowly otherwise it will crack. An old timer showed me that trick I haven't been able to replicate his process I think I get too impatient