Bearing Fun

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the process of doing a front wheel bearing and tackling the rear diff pinion bearings. As I have the 44HD it was unclear on rockauto and o'Reilly's as to what I neeeded to order and I got mixed info here.

Front passenger side outer bearing was told it was A35 but the bearing removed was LM104949. I returned the A35 and bought the correct one and it installed fine.

I just pulled the Sterling 10.25 pinion out and the inner bearing, the one closest to the carrier, was HM807044 and the outer closest to the yoke was HM89443. I think Oreillys was confused as to inner and outer and rear rear vs rear front. They hired a new guy who's a know it all and me not doing my research has bitten me haha!

Inner race is fine, outer race needs replaced. Seal was shot as well. Carrier bearings and races look excellent.

I got new tires last week and the guy mentioned it needing a bearing, I think I may not have tightened enough when I did the inner ujoint last year. Bearing looked fine and could have been packed and tightened but for $20, no reason not to.

And for the pinion, since I bought the truck it has always whirred a bit when on the highway letting of throttle but recently has gotten worse. I figured fluid level but when I checked last week it was full.

Attachments

• 20230706_202711.jpg
    20230706_202711.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230706_203559.jpg
    20230706_203559.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 6

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bearing looked fine and could have been packed and tightened but for $20, no reason not to.

Just make sure they don't do what was done to me. Shop said need to adjust the bearings so we can align it. Ok go ahead... They just cranked it down as tight as they could.........

And for the pinion, since I bought the truck it has always whirred a bit when on the highway letting of throttle but recently has gotten worse. I figured fluid level but when I checked last week it was full.

Russ has the crush sleeve eliminator kits on his site. Used one on my truck. Saves the sleeve from loosening up as they are prone to.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, just picked up bearing pullers and attachments for my slide hammer and swapped everything out fresh. Went with 26 in-lbs rolling torque. RTV is setting up tonight, fluid going in tomorrow morning and then a long evening cruise to wear it in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86