Crewcab Project

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completely reassembled, still needs paint. Another test drive tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_1297.JPG
    IMG_1297.JPG
    548.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1298.JPG
    IMG_1298.JPG
    528.8 KB · Views: 11

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back from another little test drive, seems unchanged. Only have about 25 miles on it but it's still a major dog. When I started it this time service engine light came on and after a short period went out.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RiffRaff says drive it 50 miles, so I'll put at least that many on it before taking off in another direction. If it was an IDI I'd say it's a fuel delivery issue. When I press down on accelerator it works fine for part of the travel, then it's like no difference no matter how far you push it. Seems to be in alignment with the air problem many people describe when changing injectors. We'll see, taking it for another test drive this evening.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mystery solved! It was the charge pipe under driverside battery box which made it difficult to see! Some knucklehead didn't tighten the clamp (me). Reconnected the pipe, tightened the clamp and wow what a difference!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Mystery solved! It was the charge pipe under driverside battery box which made it difficult to see! Some knucklehead didn't tighten the clamp (me). Reconnected the pipe, tightened the clamp and wow what a difference!
Oh man I had forgotten about that one. I had one of those that blow apart on a test drive after an engine swap. I didn't know what happened, but it felt like someone had stolen about 5 cylinders worth of power. Those are a PITA to keep in place. The only way that I could keep it together was to remove the pipe and clean the entire inside of the hoses out with brake cleaner about three times. That was my boss's truck and he had the biggest power chip (yes, old school) that he could find in it. So I'm sure it was putting out more boost than stock.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a tremendous relief! I was envisioning all kinds of potential mistakes I made. It runs really nice, everything worked out the way it should. I'm fortunate and happy with the results. Post more pics when it's painted.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read through this whole thread, that was quite a job, I commend you for getting this old girl back on the road.
Rust from salty roads and Engine fire are two areas I probably wouldn`t want to attack.

In the end you have quite a prize.

Goat

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems I have another problem. Jumped into truck moments ago, turned key, no "wait to start" light and I hear a rapid clicking noise. Engine turns over very fast like normal however makes no attempt to start. Ideas? Ran fine yesterday......

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, yes I checked fuse #30 and unplugging the heater which changed nothing. Another diesel forum suggested checking the power wire attached to the fuse box under hood on driver side because it can be corroded. I have not checked this yet, probably tomorrow.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems the "go to fix" for a no wait to start light is the fuel bowl heater and #30 fuse under dash, however that wasn't what caused mine. The #2 thing to check is #5 & #6 relay in the underhood fuse box. I replaced both of these relays and I'm back in business! These powerstrokes are a whole new world and I'm still learning the basics.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very minor test driving which included a small trailer load of lumber for my son's house. Trans has developed a noise, only in reverse. Noise is limited to the very short time period when the clutch is first grabbing, only in reverse. It's a click click click noise. If I need to remove this trans, I'm going to purchase an entirely new / rebuilt replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_1363.JPG
    IMG_1363.JPG
    644 KB · Views: 8

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should've updated on this final issue with the truck. The noise was due to bellhousing bolts that were loose. Been driving truck all summer and fall including a recent 1900 mile hunting trip to northern Maine hauling slide in camper. Zero issues, other than extremely poor mpg. She only got 10 to 12 mpg!

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering: what's your mileage like unloaded? Speaking from my own CCLB experience: that's a heavy truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online