Crewcab Project

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought these two late last year. Crewcab with underhood electrical meltdown and standard cab with terrible snowplow rust. Both trucks are 4 x 4 7.3 powerstrokes and both have 6 spds. Standard cab only has 128,000 miles! Plan is to swap dash and all electrical wiring out of std cab into cc. Plus swap engines.
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well after looking at your fourth picture down, I don't have to ask why you need to swap the wiring.:(

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, she"s pretty toasty under the hood!! I'm not sure if any of the engine is worth saving.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I would think that the long block would be worth saving at least. Surely somebody's looking for one as a core or to build up.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, hunting season is just about over and I've started working on it. After cleaning things up a little under the hood I found a pleasant surprise, it has a rather large BD turbo on it! I called the previous owner and he told me the turbo was only three months old prior to the electrical fire. He also told me it has +75HP injectors and a South bend clutch. I've taken some photos and will attach to this thread. So far I have removed the bed, front sheet metal, engine+all underhood wiring, and I'm now working on removing the interior and complete dash. I started this in the wrong forum, hopefully a mod can move to appropriate place.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the relocation and setting me on the straight and narrow!

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discovered the wiring harness inside the cab is damaged and needs to be replaced. It's the harness supplying power to all four doors and power seats. Looking for any help locating new or good used harness. It has Ford pn# 2c3t 14a005.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your a brave man in my experience a burnt vehicle is never the same and that motor be careful if they used a powder fire extinguisher that powder is super abrasive and very fine and gets into everything and will eat a motor up pretty fast

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also purchased a parts truck that has the same 7.3 powerstroke & 6spd trans + it only has 128,000 miles. So the plan is to use the engine and electricals from it. Unfortunately I'm now realizing the interior wiring harness of the crewcab was destroyed and the parts truck is a std cab therefore the wiring harness in the parts truck is useless. Hoping to locate a new factory harness or good used one. Thanks for the advice on fire extinguisher issue because I intend keeping many of the parts.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dash is out!

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never owned or worked on powerstroke prior to this truck(s), so really jumping in head first! It's 1000 times more complex than my old 87 idi and after digging in, I'm a little intimidated by the wiring. With the fire damage 99% contained under the hood, I thought the single cab parts truck would provide everything needed to revive the crewcab. Discovering the in cab wiring harness damaged and then also discovering how difficult locating a replacement will be, is disappointing. Fingers crossed, the search continues. I'LL try to post progress and setbacks as they occur as the build moves forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online