Cranking slow...everything new!?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Well guys i'm stumped now.

On my 6.9 van.

New starter, 2 new 800CCA batteries, and new fender solenoid, and good cables.

Brand new starter from today! (taught the one I put on 3 months ago was going bad) new one helped, but still crankin slower than I'd like.

Saturday morning, first start of the day, was the last time it cranked normal. After that, it's been turning over really slow, even worst when the engine is hot, to the point it won't hardly start!

I have been noticing for the past few weeks, it has been cranking slightly slower than before when it was new, still fast enough to fire up the engine no problem though.

I load tested my batteries, and checked if my Alternator is charging, and it is charging 100%.

Any taughts???

On a side note, my fender solenoid is only held on the Rad support by 1 screw, as the other one has no tread, but it's been like that since I put the new solenoid in, and it didn't seem to bother it's performance for the first 2 months....

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Absolutely sure the cables are good and tight? I use stud top batteries and if the nut is loose even a tiny bit it makes a huge difference.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Haven't touched anything since I put everything back together after my head gasket job, and that was 3 weeks or so ago. Everything is good and tight?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What kind of terminals do you have on the cable ends. If its the clamp to cable type they generally are not good enough to keep the system functioning at the top of possible performance.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
What kind of terminals do you have on the cable ends. If its the clamp to cable type they generally are not good enough to keep the system functioning at the top of possible performance.

Yes soldered ends are crucial, and I prefer 2/0 cable at least :D

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
The cables are factory original ones.

Dont pay attention to the old batteries in this older pic.

You must be registered for see images attach

And if it was the cables, wouldn't it gradually get worst over a long periode of time? This happened one day to the next, except for the week or 2 I noticed slightly slower cranking, but still spin fast enough to make for a "turn key start"

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cables are factory original ones.

Dont pay attention to the old batteries in this older pic.

You must be registered for see images attach

And if it was the cables, wouldn't it gradually get worst over a long periode of time? This happened one day to the next, except for the week or 2 I noticed slightly slower cranking, but still spin fast enough to make for a "turn key start"

Check out those dirty connectors. I'll bet there is corrosion in the cables.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
There is abit of corrosion where the cable meets the connector. Would that cause a random drop in crankin speed?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cables look rough to me, I would take them off the posts again...ensure that inside the post mount on the terminals are **** n span clean and so are the posts, then ensure grounds are all good and clean...block ground chassis grounds and then once you have eliminated any corrosion or crud built up on/in terminals then we can test/suggest further.

JM2CW but it's what I would do based on what I see for cables...

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corrosion is never just on the surface. Kick up some moniez and buy new cables and ends. I would have bought top studded batteries if it were me.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Yeah I bet those aren't cheap.

I'll check around my grounds and what not. I know new cables wouldn't hurt, but the van is going in winter storage in a few weeks, so won't bother with new cables this year. Hopefully it's just a ground, as it's not consistant, sometimes it cranks at a decent speed, and sometimes it's terribly slow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online