Cranking slow...everything new!?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was replacing the terminals on my battery cable, I split the red covering off of the cable to expose the copper winding, and sure enough it was heavily corroded because it had that green/blue corrosion that copper typically gets when exposed to the elements too long. However, I did not replace the cable because mine cranks fine. Yours, however could have severe corrosion within the cable that you are unaware of. Just my input here and hope it gets resolved. But a worn battery cable will cause slower cranking power because of its inability to draw from the batteries and supply the large amount of juice your starter needs to crank her up.

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you decide on new cables, i bought mine online from a guy in arizona i think. see my sig

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I don't think i'm gonna bother with cables this year, going in storage in a few weeks for winter. I'll check my grounds at least, and go from there. I'll replace the cables next year.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Those cable ends needs to be shiny metal. Yours clearly are dirty. I bet if you clean them you will have a good start circut again.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^Good point icanfixall. Forgot to mention I scraped all of the bluish corrosion on the copper wires with a knife before I put my new terminals on and sprayed them down good with that corrosion protectant stuff. So far so good.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check to see if one of the cables has fallen out of the terminal. I had that happen to my secondary battery ground. I was effectively down to one battery.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
The stud top 31s are the way to go, I had to make a couple new cables, the others I just removed the factory end and soldered copper lugs on. Spins over very quickly.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I did my rad, I did as good as I could with what I had....

MY ends are the temporary emergency ends...I hate them but I"m NOT spending large on new cables when I'm trying to get a saddle mount on the frame setup for batteries.

I checked my cables and they where good. I put new ends on sized for the posts they go on.

These tools are important in doing battery work....

No 1 Safety glasses...don't friggen ask how I know this is important...it friggen hurt is all I'll say...

then I tend to like both of these two items here

The hydrometer gives you a good reading on battery health!

You must be registered for see images

These cut the CRUD/SCUZ out from inside the terminal quite nicely... then flip and use the + on POS post and - on NEG post the male end are a very helpfull tool for sure!!!!

I'm not a big fan of these but they do work...watch yer eyes....

Often times you can undo the terminal and cannot open it...I see all kinds of ***** where the bolt passes through the terminal...guys use screw drivers and about anything they can to open it with little to no luck....
THE ANSWER
You must be registered for see images attach

The answer to stuck/corroded will not come off terminals....ya this lil part here

With all the fluff out of the way...my main two tools are the pliers and then one of the two first terminal tools, I have the X style not the red plastic one.

That male end dresses the terminal perfectly to the actual post taper and diameter...be carefull not to remove too much material though or it won't tighten down correctly!

If the terminal is too loos I undo the bolt, remove it, take the pliars and spread the terminal enough to get a a course double ******* file between the lugs and dress that area removing as little as needed to get the terminal to close correctly around the post once again...then put bolt back in

If I'm doing good quality wire/terminals that are not the temporary type, I dress the bottom of the female terminal with elephant snot. place the terminal on the post tighten down and cover the terminal and post top in more elephant snot. This has for some reason kept many a battery terminal extremely clean...

JM2CW on battery/terminal maintenance

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Well don't I feel silly now.

I started with the easiest thing, I cleaned up real good my battery posts, tighten them up real good, and bam, problem solved.

"Although" it doesn't crank as fast as my motorhome does, very close, but no quite.

While cleaning my posts, I pulled back that rubber boot that protects the positive post on the drivers side, and the red rubber sleeve on the cable pulled off with it about half an inch, exposing bare wire in the cable.

So looks like new cables are on the list for next spring.

Right now, it's cranking fast enough that it's a "turn key start" so it'll stay like that for the next few weeks till it goes for winter storage.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have some of the same tools that Al has, i love my little battery post puller!

something else to help you track the problem down, resistance creats heat. you should be able to feel a hot spot where you are loosing your voltage. sounds like you have it licked for now though.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its nice to find it was something simple and easy to repair. These are simple engines and usually a problem is made out to be the worst because we sometimes forget the easy fix. I usually check under the hood when I drive off... I can let my truck sit for a few days so I like to be sure things are correct under there. Its easier to repair something in the driveway than on the road or in a parking lot. So as time went on I felt my engine was turning over slower than normal. Finally I really dug into this my checking all the battery terminals for cleanlyness. Both terminals on the passenger side battery were clean but got cleaned again because I had them apart. Then I found the problem for slow turning engine during starts. The positive terminal on the drivers side battery was loose... So much so that it had jumped up about 1/8 inch from the post. So I was starting on one battery for some time. I know that terminal was tight when I installed those batteries a time back. I just wonder if some thief was attempting to steal a battery one nite. I now make sure to lock the doors EVERY time it gets dark here. Back when this happened I wonder if said thief if thats what was going on would have tried to take a battery from me if they knew about the lead that was going to sent to them express mail from me....:angel::sly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubburnjd1