Cracked E4OD 4X4 trans case from no front drive shaft ???

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other day, I dropped off the E4OD 4X4 trans at a re-builder and told him of my desire to add the 4X4 trans with the transfer into the truck and swap in the front solid 4X4 axle at a later time.

He told of another individual who did the same thing and wound up cracking the trans housing because the front drive line from the transfer case was missing. (Whu?)

He said the owner of the truck researched it on the internet, and found it to be true. (Really?)
Then the truck was in the shop and a look was taken at the rear drive line angle.
The angle was found to be binding the drive line so the rear axle was rotated to reduce the drive line binding.
(Perhaps the cause of the cracked case in my thinking)

I am rapidly running out of funding for this toy at this time. Not doing the 4X4 front axle swap might help out the pocket book currently however, push come to shove, I could get it done.

I did manage to pick up a cast iron extension housing to add to the E4OD rebuild.

So? Is a missing drive line going to cause a harmonic vibration cracking the trans case??

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
My opinion, no. A Ford front axle has lockouts. So 99% of the time, the front driveline isn’t turning. The lube pump is turned by the input shaft on a Ford spec transfer case. The missing driveshaft should have no effect on the read driveline angles, since the transfer case is bolted solid to the transmission. I don’t think it should cause an issue.

However, other brands, this may not be the case. I know on a later 90’s Suburban my son had, the front driveshaft had been removed before he bought it. We didn’t think anything of it, since we normally deal with Fords. Not long after, he started having transfer case issues. It was because on that setup, the lube pump was run by front output, since it didn’t have lockouts, so the pump would always be driven, since shifting into 4x4 on that one simply engaged the transfer case, the front driveline always spun from the wheels driving the driveline. Remove the driveshaft and now the pump doesn’t pump......

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could install the front driveshaft without a front axle and let it spin freely in a loop of plumbers tape. I am pretty sure that isn't going to be necessary, as Snicklas said.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way that happened.
In fact that is almost the stupidest thing ive ever heard. You may want to find a new shop. They obviously dont know basic mechanics.

And the lube pump is turned by the output on the fords. That's why you can tow them with t case in neutral with no damage, as long as the pump works and it has oil in it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I know on a later 90’s Suburban my son had, the front driveshaft had been removed before he bought it. We didn’t think anything of it, since we normally deal with Fords. Not long after, he started having transfer case issues. It was because on that setup, the lube pump was run by front output, since it didn’t have lockouts, so the pump would always be driven, since shifting into 4x4 on that one simply engaged the transfer case, the front driveline always spun from the wheels driving the driveline.

Had to be 96+
Earlier used the thermal actuator in the front diff to engage 4x4.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had to be 96+
Earlier used the thermal actuator in the front diff to engage 4x4.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Actually the 96+ were the exact same system, they just switched from the thermal actuator to an electric motor doing the same thing. It was a simple retrofit to put the electric motor into the older ones and replace the failure prone thermal actuator. All it requires is an upgrade harness that's readily available.

I don't see how it would matter though... The NP241 used in the 90s Chevys have the oil pump driven by the output shaft as well. At least the two I've been in. I'd be more inclined to believe there was a pre-existing condition with the transfer case that was the reason the PO removed the front driveshaft in the first place.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info fella, we were given some incorrect information.

Yes, I do believe there was some pre-existing conditions. He did say someone mentioned in passing "they guys wife drove it in 4x4 and it was dry"..... so.... I just know it did have other problems besides the transfer case..... thats why it went to the local wrecking yard rather than being repaired..... it had been beat on before he got it.....

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running with an E4OD, aluminum transfer case adapter and a transfer case on a 2wd setup for...well I can't really remember how long off the top of my head. But the better part of a decade. Once in a while I'll put it in low range to help the 3.08 gears but other then that, it's been dead weight without a care in the world.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Plenty of people out there with ridiculous lifts running "bluetooth" front driveshafts
Must be an image (look at how big my man parts are!) thing. If I have a 4x2 truck, I want it to sit closer to the ground. There's not much need for high ground clearance so I want it to get the best fuel mileage it can.

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never had an issue. When I fixed my flexplate I ended up swapping a lower mile updated trans in cause I literally got the call about it as the trans was coming down off truck. I let driveshaft hang and bumped into it knocking cap and needle bearings down. Never got around to hooking it back up and never had a problem